Displaying Categories In Spending Reports

Hello,

I have Quicken 2017 premium and am running on Windows 10 up to date. I've created several spending reports and each of them labels the subcategories as "Category - Other". I'm happy to attache a screen shot, but I don't see an attach button anywhere.

As an example, if I have a budget category called "Entertainment Expenses" and I run the report with a period of "Last Month," I get a report which has "Expenses" on the left, then indented and under it "Entertainment Expenses" then indented and underneath that is "Other Entertainment Expenses" and then directly under that again is "Other Entertainment Expenses" and then indented and under that are five identical labels which are "Other Tickets."

"Tickets" is a subcategory of Entertainment Expenses, but the five lines in the report should be for subcategories of Tickets: "Movies," "Plays", "Concerts," etc.

How can I get the report to display these labels instead of "Other Tickets?"

Thanks,

Peter

Best Answer

• peter088
    peter088 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi UKR,

Got it one: "First, in Edit / Preferences / Reports only there's a box "Category display". Please be sure it has the radio button set at "Name"

That fixed it. Thank you so much. Great call!

Thanks Tom. I appreciate that and will keep persevering until I reach the magic number,

Peter

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    First, in Edit / Preferences / Reports only there's a box "Category display".
    Please be sure it has the radio button set at "Name".
    It'll be easier if you show us what you're seeing ...
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of this webpage. Drag and drop the image or, at the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons possibly beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I'm happy to attache a screen shot, but I don't see an attach button anywhere."
    It appears that you have to have posted a certain number of messages before the ability to attach pictures is available to you.

It's not a whole lot of posts; probably just some back and forth on this thread will bring it up for you.
  • peter088
    peter088 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Hi UKR,

Got it one: "First, in Edit / Preferences / Reports only there's a box "Category display". Please be sure it has the radio button set at "Name"

That fixed it. Thank you so much. Great call!

Thanks Tom. I appreciate that and will keep persevering until I reach the magic number,

Peter
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "Category - Other" happens when you have a category that has sub-cats ... but you've assigned one or more transactions to the main category instead of one of the sub-cats.
    Do CTRL-C to get your category list, then click on the main cat in question to see what transactions were assigned to it ... instead of to a sub-cat.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

This discussion has been closed.