Importing/merging qfx File for Investment Account

Options
I've had an investment account for years and within Quicken I was only capturing the transfers from the funding account. Now, I have the option to import a qfx file for the investment account. I was able to successfully import all the transactions into a "new" account in Quicken. What is the proper way to "move" the transfers from the old account? When I tested this I end up with two transactions, a BoughtX (downloaded from qfx) and a XIn (transfer from other account). These two transactions are the same. It seems I should join these somehow.

Thanks!

Best Answer

• kps1
    kps1 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I've fiddled around with this and when I changed the "BoughtX" transactions to transfers, it messed up the total on the investment account and I can't figure out how. Without an undo function, I'll have to delete and re-import. I'll report back.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    In QWin Subscription, you can move transactions from one account to another and it appears you have done this. 

You should be able to edit the BoughtX transactions to Bought's with "From this account's cash balance" as the cash source. This will "use up" the cash in the account from the Xin's.

Unfortunately I think you will have to do this for each transaction. You can click on the top of the Action column in the transaction list to sort all the BoughtX's together if you want.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What's the other side of your "BoughtX" transactions?  If there's no Account listed in these transactions then I'd just delete the BoughtX transactions. 
    If these BoughtX actions show the same Account as your Xin transactions then you should also have double entries in the "from" Account.  Do you?
  • kps1
    kps1 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Thank you for the suggestions. I've fiddled around with this and when I changed the "BoughtX" transactions to transfers, it messed up the total on the investment account and I can't figure out how. Without an undo function, I'll have to delete and re-import. I'll report back.
This discussion has been closed.