Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Why does Quicken accept a downloaded transaction when I cancel a search in the Register search box?

For months I've been encountering issues with what appeared to be Quicken auto-accepting downloaded transactions into my register. Personally this workflow doesn't work for me, because in my registers I prefer to have only transactions that I already know about; from there it's up to me to match that with whatever Quicken has downloaded for me from my financial institutions.

However, I couldn't figure out how this was happening -- until today. Here are the steps that I noticed lead to this condition:

1. Open a register for an account that has some unaccepted downloaded transactions in it
2. Choose one of those downloaded transactions -- meaning, click on it and leave it highlighted there (don't accept it yet)
3. Type something into the search box, meaning the free-form text entry over the right hand corner of the register just above the "Register columns" gear button and below the "Actions gear button".
... Note that there's a little "X" that will appear at the right edge of the search box, once you've typed something in there.
4. Look down at the downloaded transaction you selected, which should still be highlighted.
5. Push the "X" in the search box.
6. Look back at the Downloaded Transactions list at the bottom of the register. Notice that the transaction you highlighted now shows as Accepted, and if you search through the register you should be able to find that transaction now in it.

This seems like a software defect to me -- has anyone else encountered this behavior?

I am using Quicken Premier for Windows, year 2020, version R23.17, Build 27.1.23.17

Best Answers

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @rismanma

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

I am also able to duplicate this behavior in my copy of Quicken, R23.17 and have opened a ticket with our Development team to investigate this issue further.

Once a solution is available it will be sent out as part of a future release.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if there are further questions/concerns that the Community may assist with.

Thank you again,

Sarah

(CTP-453)

Answers

• rismanmarismanma Member ✭✭
    It is also possible that there are other ways to trigger this but this was what I noticed so far
    Another note: this is the register for a Credit Card account, in case that makes a difference
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    In my environment (Quicken Premier for Windows, year 2020, version R23.17, Build 27.1.23.17 on Windows 10 - the same as yours?), canceling a register search does not accept the previously selected transaction in the Downloaded Transactions tab.  As soon as I enter a character in the register search text box, the downloaded transaction previously selected is no longer selected.
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    Oops looks like I wrote it down backwards, sorry -- if I type something in the search box first and then select the downloaded transaction, then press the "X", the transaction is accepted. So:

1. Open a register for an account that has some unaccepted downloaded transactions in it
    2. Type something into the search box, meaning the free-form text entry over the right hand corner of the register just above the "Register columns" gear button and below the "Actions gear button".
    ... Note that there's a little "X" that will appear at the right edge of the search box, once you've typed something in there.
    3. Choose one of those downloaded transactions -- meaning, click on it and leave it highlighted there (don't accept it yet)
    4. Look down at the downloaded transaction you selected, which should still be highlighted.
    5. Push the "X" in the search box.
    6. Look back at the Downloaded Transactions list at the bottom of the register. Notice that the transaction you highlighted now shows as Accepted, and if you search through the register you should be able to find that transaction now in it.

In case you are willing to try again(!)
    > @Sherlock said:
    > rismanma said:(Quote)
    > Confirmed. 

Thanks @Sherlock. I'm trying currently to convince Support that this is an issue but for now I suppose I can mark this as "answered", as you've confirmed I'm not the only one.

So far the best I could get from the support rep was that I should report it as an issue via the report-a-problem feature within Quicken, but I'm not clear on whether that gets it actual consideration as a product defect to address
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rismanma said:
    > @Sherlock said:
    > rismanma said:(Quote)
    > Confirmed. 

Thanks @Sherlock. I'm trying currently to convince Support that this is an issue but for now I suppose I can mark this as "answered", as you've confirmed I'm not the only one.

So far the best I could get from the support rep was that I should report it as an issue via the report-a-problem feature within Quicken, but I'm not clear on whether that gets it actual consideration as a product defect to address
    Needless to say, I suggest you avoid using the X (or selecting the in the search box and pressing Esc) to clear the search.  I've found selecting Reset or double-clicking on the text in the search box and pressing Backspace work as expected.

I've flag this query to a moderator as a confirmed issue which I think is the best I can do, 
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
    > @Sherlock said:
    > (Quote)
    > Needless to say, I suggest you avoid using the X (or selecting the in the search box and pressing Esc) to clear the search.  I've found selecting Reset or double-clicking on the text in the search box and pressing Backspace work as expected.
    >
    > I've flag this query to a moderator as a confirmed issue which I think is the best I can do, 

Thanks a lot @Sherlock for helping. I know I can just avoid it -- but I'm just not good at remembering things so knowing me I'll probably do it a bunch more times. Also as a software developer, those things jump out at me ....
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Accepted Answer
    Hello @rismanma

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.

I am also able to duplicate this behavior in my copy of Quicken, R23.17 and have opened a ticket with our Development team to investigate this issue further.

Once a solution is available it will be sent out as part of a future release.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if there are further questions/concerns that the Community may assist with.

Thank you again,

Sarah

(CTP-453)
    > @Quicken Sarah said:
    > Hello @rismanma
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the Community, although I apologize for any frustration or inconvenience experienced.
    >
    > I am also able to duplicate this behavior in my copy of Quicken, R23.17 and have opened a ticket with our Development team to investigate this issue further.
    >
    > Once a solution is available it will be sent out as part of a future release.
    >
    > I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if there are further questions/concerns that the Community may assist with.
    >
    > Thank you again,
    >
    > Sarah
    >
    > (CTP-453)

Thank you Sarah for taking the time to look at the issue and opening the ticket with the development team
  • rgumpertzrgumpertz Member ✭✭✭
    Has this issue ever been resolved? I've also been bitten by it.
    Release R26.14 (US Versions, Apr 2020)
    * Fixed: An issue in which clearing out the register search filter resulted in auto-accepting a downloaded transaction if the transaction was highlighted

Thanks for fixing it -- looks good now!
    ... Thanks, @QuickenSarah and team I meant!
This discussion has been closed.