Why don't all of my investments show all of their activity

When I look under the investment tab one of my investments only shows 3 transactions but when I look under the account it shows all of them. Also under the investment tab it shows the cost as a negative number, the gain or loss as a positive number and the percentage as a negative number. This only appears to be a problem with 2 of my investments, both of them under the same account but all other investments in that account appear to be fine.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The views on the investment tab do not display transactions.  If we assume you're looking at the Portfolio view, we're able to filter the accounts and securities displayed (select Customize).  It is certainly possible to coerce a negative cost with a gain which will produce negative gain percentage.  If you believe the cost should not be negative, I suggest you reconcile the security's transactions in the accounts with the statements obtained from the financial institution(s).
  • unclealtkp
    unclealtkp Member ✭✭
    Here is a snip of the account in the investment tab with the 3 transactions displayed, but there are many more transactions for this investment that don't show up here but are in my Edward Jones account in Quicken.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Take a look at this security in the Security List.
    Make sure that the Security Type selected is Mutual Fund or Stock, NOT Market Index.
    The Security Type = Market Index is restricted for use by actual market indices like Dow Jones, not Mutual Funds or any other type of actual security where you buy and sell shares.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    In the Portfolio view, which is what you've displayed in your image.png, only LOTS are shown ... not transactions.
    For example, no dividends, interest, etc is shown nor are BUY or SELL transactions.  The RESULTS of Buy and Sell transactions are shown in the portfolio (unless the SELL eliminated the Lot), but not the transactions themselves.  Those only appear in the Investment account itself.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Here is a snip of the account in the investment tab with the 3 transactions displayed, but there are many more transactions for this investment that don't show up here but are in my Edward Jones account in Quicken.
    The image you provided does not show any transactions.  What is displayed are a security holding with 3 lots.  What is unexpected is that the aggregate cost basis is not the sum of the lots.  Again, I suggest you reconcile the security's transactions in the account with the statements obtained from the financial institution(s).  You may be able to narrow the search by modifying the As of date.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Placeholders can make the total cost basis not add up properly. These are hidden by default. To make them visible, got to Edit > Preferences > Investment transactions and make sure "Show hidden transations" is selected.
    You must resolve any Placeholders for Quicken to track the cost basis correctly.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Take a look at this security in the Security List.
    Make sure that the Security Type selected is Mutual Fund or Stock, NOT Market Index.
    The Security Type = Market Index is restricted for use by actual market indices like Dow Jones, not Mutual Funds or any other type of actual security where you buy and sell shares.
    Actually, for that security, it should probably have the Type =  Money Market.  
  • unclealtkp
    unclealtkp Member ✭✭
    I checked the security type and it is Mutual Fund, I also checked for placeholders in hidden transactions and there aren't any.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "When I look under the investment tab one of my investments only shows 3 transactions but when I look under the account it shows all of them."
    Let's go back to this.  Hopefully you now understand that the Investment Tab picture you posted ("Portfolio View") does not show "transactions", it shows "lots."  But you've never explained what you're referring to by "when I look under the account it shows all of them."  Are you referring to what you see when you click on the "Holdings" button in that Account, (the window that comes up when you click that button also only shows "lots", not "transactions"), or are you referring to actual transactions - Buys, Sells, etc. - listed out in the transaction list (register) itself?  In other words, does the Holdings window actually show more lots than the Portfolio View?  That would be very odd so if that's what you're seeing, post a picture of the Holdings window.
    My guess is that the underlying transactions you have posted in the transaction list (register) are somehow messed up and I'd echo @Sherlock recommendation to try and reconcile the transactions in Quicken to transactions reported by the financial institution.
  • unclealtkp
    unclealtkp Member ✭✭
    All the transactions in the register were downloaded from the Edward Jones web site and have been reconciled.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    "All the transactions in the register were downloaded from the Edward Jones web site and have been reconciled."
    But do those downloads account for all activity in the fund from the time you made your first purchase to the present?
    It seems like you want to place blame on Quicken for your problem, and maybe it is Quicken's fault, but you really haven't been responsive to follow up questions asked here nor have you clearly explained the "disconnect" you think you're seeing between Portfolio View and the Investment Account itself.
    Generally Quicken is a competent accounting program and problems typically arise from user error, relying entirely on financial institutions to do your accounting for you, or data corruption.  You can try validating your Quicken file to see if that puts things to right.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    All the transactions in the register were downloaded from the Edward Jones web site and have been reconciled.
    Were you able to determine when the issue first appeared by modifying the As of date?