Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Direct Connect Not Working

Quicken says I should use Direct Connect to access my credit union. It is listed in the available list for direct connect, however my credit union says it is strictly a Quicken thing, abd they know nothing about it.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The financial institution is supposed to have someone that knows about Web Connect and Direct Connect download methods since those download methods are directly between your computer and their servers.
    Express Web Connect is the exception since there is an data aggregation service provider (Intuit) involved in it and the FI has no real involvement except to say it is okay for it to be happening.
    If the FI is saying otherwise, you are talking to someone that doesn't know the facts, ask for the IT department.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What CU are you talking about?  We can look up what types of download they support.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • Dale GrupeDale Grupe Member ✭✭
    IH Mississippi Credit Union. According to Quicken's list, the credit union supports Direct Connect. I am going to see if they have an IT department. Their call center says they have only a few people who know anything about Quicken.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried to follow these instructions?
    https://www.quicken.com/support/message-ewc-dc-ol-238-mismatch

Yes, I have done this twice. Each time it ends up with saying I need a Direct Connect ID and password from my financial organization, and it gives the web site of mt credit union. Contacting my credit union, they say it's a Quicken thing to get me to spend more money, and does not involve the credit union!
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Dale Grupe" ,

Post a screenshot of the New Account Window. Examples:

Which is yours?

• chitownhockeychitownhockey Member ✭✭✭✭
    Credit unions rarely, if ever, use Direct Connect to download transactions into Quicken.  

Why?  Because financial institutions pay more for Direct Connect than they do for Express Web Connect.  And regular Web Connect costs them nothing, since you just download a transaction file from your CU's website and import that into Quicken.  

So, as shown above, your only options to download transactions are Express Web Connect or Web Connect.  And EWC only requires the same login and password credentials you currently use now to login to the website.  
    I finally found the right person at the credit union. Problem solved!
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I finally found the right person at the credit union. Problem solved!

OK ... and what did you have to do to finally get the problem solved? Please don't let us hanging in suspense.
    I found someone who was able to give me a Direct Connect password. That got me connected. Unfortunately, I had followed previous instructions, posted, to add accounts. I now have duplicate accounts, and am working at getting transactions copied to the new accounts. Of course, I ended up with a LOT of duplicates. It's going to take a while, but will get it worked out eventually.
    And...where did you get to connect via Direct Connect from?  Because, as shown above the only options are Express Web Connect and Web Connect.  

Something doesn't sound kosher here.  You can't connect via Direct Connect just by someone giving you a password.  Doesn't work that way.  The bank has to enroll with Quicken to offer Direct Connect...and the Direct Connect connection has to be made available when you add or edit your account.  And as thecreator has shown, that option isn't even available.  

So, either there's some backdoor connection...or you're misrepresenting what you think Direct Connect actually is. 

I'm really confused how this transpired.  
    edited December 2019
    Mississippi FCU seems to have 2 listings in FIDIR.TXT ... the file that logs all of Q connections to the various banks/cards/brokerages/etc.
    41427    41427    41427    Mississippi FCU    http://msfcu.us/index.shtml    601-984-1315    http://msfcu.us/index.shtml    ACTIVE                   BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA

00785    00785    00785    Mississippi Federal Credit Union    http://www.msfcu.us/    601-351-9200    https://www6.homecu.net/fi/missfcu/hb_signupfrm.html    ACTIVE         BANKING&WEB-CONNECT         BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA
    But NEITHER listing shows "Direct" as a connection method.  So where did you get your info that MSFCU supports Direct Connect?

Wrong FI ... Sorry.  Here's the listing for IH Mississipp Valleyi CU, and does indeed seem to support Direct Connect.
    01973    01973    01973    IH Mississippi Valley CU    http://www.ihmvcu.org    (309) 793-6200    https://www.ihmvcuonline.org/onlineserv/OFX/OFXRegister.cgi    ACTIVE    BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&DIRECT    BANKING,CREDIT&WEB-CONNECT         BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT    NOT_QBP    NA

• SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    @chitownhockey: I suspect the full name of the financial institution in Quicken is:  IH Mississippi Valley CU
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    And...where did you get to connect via Direct Connect from?  Because, as shown above the only options are Express Web Connect and Web Connect.  

Something doesn't sound kosher here.  You can't connect via Direct Connect just by someone giving you a password.  Doesn't work that way.  The bank has to enroll with Quicken to offer Direct Connect...and the Direct Connect connection has to be made available when you add or edit your account.  And as thecreator has shown, that option isn't even available.  

So, either there's some backdoor connection...or you're misrepresenting what you think Direct Connect actually is. 

I'm really confused how this transpired.  

The OP has it correct.  IH Mississippi Credit Union shows supporting Direct Connect, Express Web Connect and Web Connect in the FIDIR.txt file.

Not sure where you are looking, but you've got your information wrong.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

For anybody in the future, this is what I should have done:
    In Quickens' Tools/Account List, My credit union showed it had a better connection method. clicking on that, it took me to a Direct Connect screen for my credit union. That screen asked for a Direct Connect user id and PIN, which it said to get from my financial institution. It also showed the web page and phone number of my credit union. It took many phone calls, and a LOT of holding time to reach someone who could give me that info. If I had been able to get it at that point, all would have been fine! Instead, I had followed someone's post to deactivate the accounts, than add accounts. That still took me back to the same screen as before. Putting in the correct info at that point, created new accounts, which were Direct Connect. I now had duplicate accounts, with the new accounts lacking all the previous transactions. In copying the transactions from the old to the new, something went wrong, and I now have several years of duplicate transactions to delete.
    I'm looking at the previous screen capture from thecreator that specifically shows Express Web Connect and Web Connect as the only choices.

Of course, if you select a DIFFERENT financial institution that is different than what was posted, there are other options.  

And that explains that.  
    I'm looking at the previous screen capture from thecreator that specifically shows Express Web Connect and Web Connect as the only choices.

Of course, if you select a DIFFERENT financial institution that is different than what was posted, there are other options.  

And that explains that.  

In the message of 12:45pm, the OP gave the correct FI name.  @thecreator mis-interpreted it and posted info for the wrong CU.  I followed that error and, originally, posted for the wrong CU ... which I corrected @5:41pm
This discussion has been closed.