Two mutual funds similar name with different symbols

I have two accounts each with a mutual fund of similar name and symbol. I likely mistakenly input them as the same name and symbol. In one account I have DFA International Value Portfolio Institutional Class with symbol DFIVX. In the other portfolio I am supposed to have DFA International Value Portfolio III with symbol DFVIX. They both show up as the same security. When I try to update the security in one of the accounts with the correct name and symbol, it changes the name and symbol in the other account. Can anyone help me out to correct this short of deleting the symbol in one account adding it as a new security? During the update process I have tried both options 1. copy quotes from DFIVX to DFVIX and 2. Delete quotes for DFIVX or vice versa.

Best Answers

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Have you tried Edit Security Details? Go to Portfolio view, select each of the affected MFs and select Edit Security Details. Correct the errors and save.
  • Robert Chase
    Robert Chase Member ✭✭
    When I added the new security, it still globally changed all the others to that new security name and symbol
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    - add the correct Security Name to the Security List - to get it created
    - next... methodically go thru each line item entry of the transactions,
    and change that transaction to the correct security
    As aside... how do you like the DFA portfolios offered by investment folks

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You went to Tools > Security list > Add security and created a security with a different name and ticker from any security that is currently in your file and it altered your existing holdings? That seems odd.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Robert Chase
    Robert Chase Member ✭✭
    Thanks, I did as you suggested. And then had to go through four years of transactions on one account and assign all transactions that referred to the wrong security and individually assign it to the new security. I'm not certain if there was a way to to this as a group but it worked by doing them individually.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Group edit not possible.  I've found the individual edits can crank out pretty fast once you get into the flow.  Sounds like you are squared away at this point.  Well done.
This discussion has been closed.