Home Quicken for Windows Paying Bills, Online Billers & Reminders (Windows)

Online center won't "Update send" bills/Quicken Bill Pay missing from OSU (updated title)

Answers

• Old GuyOld Guy Member ✭✭
    Same here. I tried to setup Bill Pay - New and when I tag the bank account that's setup for use with Bill Pay, it over rights the bank account???
  • WESWES Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    This thread appears to have been truncated. So here’s my problem AGAIN …

1. Attempted to upload a Bill Pay transaction from Quicken several days ago and it failed.

2. Call Quicken Tech Support several days ago and they had me deactivate my Bill Pay connection under account “Online Services” and reactivate it.

3. Reactivation failed – was attempting to connect to “xxx Quicken Bill Pay”. At this point, Tech Support threw his hands up and did not have any recommendations.

4. Someone recommended using the “Advanced” option and try to connect using “Quicken Bill Pay – New”.

5. The reactivation to "Quicken Bill Pay - New" appeared to work BUT the account Quicken Bill Pay was linked to lost its transaction download connection to the bank.

6. Reestablished download connectivity with the bank BUT then lost the link to Quicken Bill Pay.

Sort of a "Catch 22" situation with no solution yet.
  • Richard YoungRichard Young Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    This appears to be a parallel thread. The lengthy thread is
    [removed self-referencing link]
  • WESWES Member ✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    Then Quicken moved it because this was the original thread -- Just look at the title under "Quicken Sarah" post where she talks about getting email updates -- it's the title of this post. Not sure the title of that post adequately describes the problem people are having with connection between Quicken and Bill Pay. Not sure the title of this post adequately describes the problem either, but it's where things started.
    Bottom line for those following this thread, Setup your online link to your bank so you can update transactions, but do not try to setup QBP until Quicken sorts out the mess. If you try to setup QBP with advanced setup, it initially appears to work but doesn't, and it usually breaks the link to the bank account. Any new payments will have to be manually setup using a browser through quickenbillpay.com . Over 2 days ago Quicken had said it would be fixed within 12 hours, but unfortunately they are still working on the resolution.
  • Paul Smith2Paul Smith2 Member ✭✭
    When I go to pay my bills using Quicken Bill Pay (ie Quicken subscription service), Quicken prompts me to refresh the password for the bank I use for my bill pay activity. When I put in that password in the box provided, the software immediately rejects the password and I'm in a loop with no exit. I can use the stored password to access the bank account -- no problem. Moreover Quicken downloads transactions from that bank -- no problem. But Quicken cannot connect to the bill paying service (metavante) properly. When I called the support line for Quicken Bill Pay service, they instructed me to make the payments via the web interface because the problem was being reported by others.

As a long time Quicken user, I'd like to say that this level of service is unacceptable. The bills I was attempting to pay are due on Monday (today is Saturday). Apparently Quicken telephone support is only available M-F. Fortunately the workaround is available 24x7 -- but failure in my being able to pay my bills is a critical issue... The problem was not reported or visible in user forums. Apparently it has been reported for days. I suggest that Quicken institute a mechanism to alert users when a critical problem becomes visible - and another to notify users when it is resolved.
  • tgouldtgould Member
    I noticed that my account wasn't downloading transactions i entered in qbp a few days ago, but thought it was a one time quirky thing that happens sometimes so didn't think much of it and adjusted my account.
    It now happened again today so again i thought it was something with my connection. So i tried updating my future payments in qbp with no success.
    Finally looked here, and although annoying happy to know it is a problem with QBP. I haven't reached out to them yet, but spent an hour trying to figure out what was wrong.
    Now i will stop trying and try and enjoy my Saturday what's left of it, and hope they get a solution soon.
  • I am having the same issue and lost my connection to Quicken Bill pay. When I go to activate it, it is trying to connect to zz Quicken Bill Pay, then it comes up with the error - "Sorry, we encountered an error, its not your fault." When I talked to support I was told it had something to do with them switching over to a subscription service and that they were working on the issue. He said hopefully maybe by Monday it will be fixed. Meanwhile - I went QBP web and paid those bills that were coming up.
  • fayoubfayoub Member ✭✭
    Late last night, I noticed I had the same issue of not communicating with Quicken Billpay. I realized it after I was trying to send three payments. I went through everything that was offered as a solution on this thread. My Quicken version is 23.17. I noticed that there was a Mondo Update to 23.18. I downloaded it but it wouldn't patch. It gave me an error message before it started to update the program.

Out of experimentation, I ran a File Validation. No errors, but no fix. Then, I ran a Super Validate. Still no errors. Then, I checked for an update from the Help menu, thinking it might update to 23.18. It did offer an update, but to 23.17, which is what I was currently running. I ran the update anyway and after that I got my Billpay back on the One-Step Update. I ran the update and everything worked. I verified on the Quicken Billpay website and the payments I sent were there.

All is good again. Hope this helps.
  • fayoubfayoub Member ✭✭
    Update #2. I just now opened Quicken and the issue is NOT resolved. Quicken Billpay disappeared from One-Step Update again.

Back to the drawing board.
  • Fred WaltersFred Walters Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I just did a validate, super validate and updated the branding on the checking account. I was able to upload to QBP and payments showed on web site.
    Closed Q down and restarted and the QBP still shows on OSU. Also shows on the update for checking. QBP is Quicken Bill Pay - New.

May have been lucky as Q is completing some fixes in back ground.
    Running R23.17

Past Effort:
    I did the process in the past of deactivating QBP and activating with the - New and the linking to checking caused Q to go into a Web Sync.

12-22-19
    Early today the QBP and checking where still in good shape and did a download using OSU and all was good.
    Did the update to R23.18 and OSU and checking looked good showing future payments for QBP.

Now the QBP is back to not showing future payments.

Quicken please give us some feedback!!!!!!!
  • OrthocubanOrthocuban Member ✭✭
    Quicken Bill Pay still showing up as zzz Quicken Bill Pay. I have deactivated it, but when I try to reactivate that is all that shows. Quicken needs to get on the ball, it has been days now.
  • Just Called support line, still working issue with no expected fix date/time.
    Frustrating!
  • I've been a Quicken user for years, now on Quicken Premium subscription plan. For some reason, Quicken has become troublesome. Added a new repeating monthly payment to quicken, but it did not register in Quicken appropriately. ie, not in register or repeating payments tab and not in Quicken Billpay. Conversely, when payee was entered in Quicken Billpay,it was accepted, but the new entry did not update the Quicken program. Neither situation produced any error messages or codes. Any ideas?
  • :# I am having the same issue, it’s disappointing that an issue this severe doesn’t seem to have much attention from support. A basic function should not take days to correct and no significate feed back from support is not the type of service I expect.
  • kenerlykenerly Member
    Same issue here also...
  • George RaneyGeorge Raney Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    After last update, 27.1.23.17, when I close Quicken I am alerted that there are online payments to send. There are no online payments to send and even if I tell it to send them, it still alerts me each and every time I try to close Quicken.

I have read Joe Hopwood's comments and those solutions are not mine. When I press "Yes" it takes me to the online center and there are no new payments to send. When I hit update, it takes me to One step update settings and asks me to update vault passwords that do not need updating.

Now what?
  • markberlindmarkberlind Member ✭✭
    This morning the bill pay issue remains unresolved, and all of my payee data has disappeared from Quicken. But it's gotten even worse since yesterday, as this morning all of the passwords from my investment accounts have likewise disappeared from one step update!
  • gfcw12usgfcw12us Member
    Both Bill Pay and One-step update are not working. Considering the magnitude of this problem, especially with all our Christmas, Holiday and year end bills, I would like to have an update on what progress, if any has been made on fixing this problem and if there is any chance it will be fixed by the end of December?
  • JamesJGallagherJamesJGallagher Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    > @markberlind said:
    > This morning the bill pay issue remains unresolved, and all of my payee data has disappeared from Quicken. But it's gotten even worse since yesterday, as this morning all of the passwords from my investment accounts have likewise disappeared from one step update!

I had one password disappear from One Step Update and resolved by adding the password in the password vault. I could not fix it by adding and saving in One Step Update. My payee data is also gone and I believe that is because Quicken Bill Pay is no longer connected and will come back when the issue is resolved and I can connect Quicken Bill Pay again.
  • FWIW, I've also lost connectivity with my FI as of this a.m.
    Coincidentally these are the accounts I previously had linked to QBP (before the recent issue.
    I am getting an error that my FI login information is incoreect.
    But my access to the FI online portal is working with the same credentials.
    Stuff like this happens frequently with Q so, at this point, I usually just wait it out.
    If I called customer support every time someting didn't work...

The online payees disappear if no online acounts are available. Based on my prior experience, they will reappear when QBP functionality is restored.
    DW
  • markberlindmarkberlind Member ✭✭
    > @JamesJGallagher said:
    >
    > I had one password disappear from One Step Update and resolved by adding the password in the password vault. I could not fix it by adding and saving in One Step Update. My payee data is also gone and I believe that is because Quicken Bill Pay is no longer connected and will come back when the issue is resolved and I can connect Quicken Bill Pay again.

All of my investment account passwords were already in my password vault, but this morning they disappeared. I hope those that are saying the data should return when -- if ever -- Quicken fixes the bill pay connectivity issue are correct.
  • stanstan Member ✭✭
    Until about a week ago, likely the same time the error occurred on not connecting, my payments didn't upload to Wells Fargo. The ones marked "Send Online payment". I've tried it several different days and both with a full update and with just updating Wells Fargo.
    edited December 2019
    (Removed)
  • DonDDonD Member ✭✭
    > @"Richard Young" said:
    > Bottom line for those following this thread, Setup your online link to your bank so you can update transactions, but do not try to setup QBP until Quicken sorts out the mess. If you try to setup QBP with advanced setup, it initially appears to work but doesn't, and it usually breaks the link to the bank account. Any new payments will have to be manually setup using a browser through quickenbillpay.com . Over 2 days ago Quicken had said it would be fixed within 12 hours, but unfortunately they are still working on the resolution.

Richard Young,
    That is the way I have worked around this problem from the beginning of this problem. Do nothing with setting up QBP or resetting QBP (until a resolution for this problem is published). Enter payments to be made into the register, change from "sent" to "BillPay" or blank in 'Check Number' spot. The payments will not build up in the 'Bill and Income Reminders' section. Then manually schedule the bill payment in your Quicken Bill Pay account online. I update/download transactions from each account individually, Checking, Savings, Card accounts, etc. with no issues. As posted in the other thread about One Step Update problems, updating groups of accounts all at once (one step) may not work smoothly, seemingly a separate yet connected problem. This is a little more work but it works. It's just not so 'One Step'.
  • BobCBobC Member ✭✭✭
    My Online Payees are now also missing.  This series of unexpected failures is getting to the point that I'm avoiding running any "online" updates, for fear of further damaging my database - which I use for taxes and other important activities....

Some more details, in the hope that they might help Quicken restore functionality:

As others above have reported, (markberlind, gfcw12us, JamesJGallagher, and David Weinshel), I too, have lost all of my data in my "Tools" "Online Payees" window.  I typically run a OSU "download" and "reconcile" before making a backup and closing the software.  I examined my backup data files and had to go back to Friday, 12/18, at about noon, to find one WITH my Online Payee data intact.  The Online Payee data is absent from my backups made on Friday at about 11:30 PM, and one made Saturday.  Thus one could conclude that changes made on the server side between noon and 11:30 PM, on Friday, 12/18/19, are responsible for this particular deprecation/ change in the operation of our Quicken software.  Of course there are probably a lot of other things also changing in the same period, and my concept of how the overall system works is probably very flawed, so who knows. I hope there is someone who understands what is happening.

The lessons I am taking away from this latest additional failure are:
    1) DON'T use OSU at all, even for downloads, without making an easily recoverable backup before connecting;
    2) Avoid connecting to the Quicken server at all, unless you can easily restore to the state before the connection evolution, (a different way of saying 1) above);
    3) Save each backup in a separate sub-directory so you can select when to go back to, (I do this typically, and have about 15 back versions at any time, in ADDITION to the Quicken automatic backups)
    4) Along with 3), be prepared to re-enter anything added/revised after last Thursday or so.
    5) After a connection/download/upload, check the following, at a minimum - the more you check, the better, before moving ahead with any additional work:
    a) Presence or absence of all the FIs & Accounts you normally connect to in the OSU settings list, and in each of the FIs listed under Tools - Online Center - .
    b) Presence or absence of all the same FIs in your PW Vault, assuming you use that feature.
    c) Presence or absence of QBP in your FI lists in OSU and in Tools, Online center
    d) New for me - Presence or absence of your online payees in Tools, Online Payee List
    e) Account totals as last verified against FI statements/reports/etc.
    f) Any other data that has been compromised for others that should be added to this list?
    If you find anything amiss or not as it should be, stop and decide how move ahead, before doing anything more.  Objective - be able to restart, with a known good state, when issues resolved.
    There is no guarantee that above lists are good, adequate or of any use at all.  It is what I am doing, but that doesn't make it right.  If anyone who is still awake after reading this far has other things to suggest or change, I would appreciate your thoughts.

All of this is particularly vexing to me, and likely others, as this is when I normally review and correct minor category errors and other details, so that I have a solid set of reports to support completion of my 2019 tax filings. 

It is the wrong time to have something like this, which makes us question everything the software is doing, almost demanding we go back and check all of our data / reports, before relying on the reports generated.  Really annoying.

Hope everyone's Sunday is otherwise good,
    BobC

• xendarqxendarq Member ✭✭
    Thank you for this thread. What a terrible time (month/quarter/year-end) for this to happen!

Current state for me, as of 12-22-2019 at 7 PM - is that I can either connect to "One Step Update" with my bank or "Quicken Bill Pay - New", but never both at the same time. Enabling either one disables the other. Even when connecting to QBP sync does nothing but "Update Financial Institution" - it does not send any instructions.

It is egregious that Quicken is neither responding to or acknowledging this issue.
  • > @Richard Young said:
    > WORK AROUND until It is fixed
    >
    > 1) Stop trying to connect connect to QBP. It won't work and it will probably disconnect you download link to you bank account . If you try to setup QBP with advanced setup, it initially appears to work but doesn't.
    >
    > 2) Setup your online link to your bank so you can update transactions
    >
    > 3) Make any new payments on the QBP website. They will have to be manually setup using a browser through quickenbillpay.com. Over 2 days ago Quicken had said it would be fixed within 12 hours, but unfortunately they are still working on the resolution. Looks like it will be a while.
    >
    > 4) At this time, as frustrating as it is, all you can do is sit back, have some eggnog and wait.

Please update this discussion when it is fixed. I don't come to these forums often, so I am only writing this post in order to get an email update through here when the issue is fixed. Thanks.
  • solostormsolostorm Member ✭✭
    Quicken Bill Pay is showing up as "zzz Quicken Bill Pay". I can's seem to find the actual Quicken Bill Pay "account" to delete and reset. I can create a new Quicken Bill Pay, but that doesn't seem to remove the zzz.
This discussion has been closed.