Section total will not zero out when line items below it are zeroed out

I seem to have encountered a problem. Section total will not zero out when line items below it are zeroed out. This was a budget that was created from an Imported Mac Quicken 2007 file. How might I correct this? Below is an image:
Quicken user since 1997 when Dollars and $ense died.

Best Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    This is working as designed.

The Parent category (in your case, Insurance) can have a separate goal than the sub cats below. In your screenshot, it is not intended to be a total of all the sub cats below. If you want a goal of zero for the parent, then you have to zero that out as well.

What is a bug is the negative values that gets triggered in certain cases. All the goals set in the budget should be positive. I will post back when I recall what triggers that. But, be sure to enter all goal items as positive amounts

Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    This is working as designed.

The Parent category (in your case, Insurance) can have a separate goal than the sub cats below. In your screenshot, it is not intended to be a total of all the sub cats below. If you want a goal of zero for the parent, then you have to zero that out as well.

What is a bug is the negative values that gets triggered in certain cases. All the goals set in the budget should be positive. I will post back when I recall what triggers that. But, be sure to enter all goal items as positive amounts
  • Paul Kleeberg
    Paul Kleeberg Member ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Thanks so much. I was not aware that I could modify that! What seems odd to me is in many instances as I add items to the sub-cat, it appears to be summed in the cat. I guess it is those negative numbers that throw it off. An old workaround that would take hours to make right but at least I have gotten this to work! Thanks!
  • Paul Kleeberg
    Paul Kleeberg Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks. The negative number issue appears to have been resolved. My 2020 budget now appears to be how I want it. Now I am struggling to understand the summary page. I will look for the documentation and if I still have questions will start another thread.
This discussion has been closed.