The cash balances in my Merrill Lynch Accounts always state "Not Provided"

Cash updates don't work as they used to. The balances havn't been updated since the 23d of December. It just gives me a Not Provided message. This seems to only be with the Merrill Lynch accounts.

Answers

• For the past week or so, my Merrill Lynch accounts used to update the cash balances in my accounts whenever I did a one step download. Now, I get a "Not Provided" error in that cash field. Instead, they are providing the cash in either ML Bank and Trust RAS 977G2, ML Bank Deposit Program, ML Bank USA RASP, or Bank Of America RASP.
    Not only do I find this confusing, but defies all logic. Is this something that Quicken needs to deal with, or is it a ML problem.\
    Dennis Freeman
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Dennis,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

As a test, I would create a new Quicken file by going to File > New Quicken file and add the Merrill Lynch accounts and see if you get the same message in this new file.

This will test if the information is being sent this way from Merrill Lynch if it works properly this would point to an issue with the file itself.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • I did as you suggested. The result was the same. The "Not Provided" message was there and it told me to go to the ML website to get the current cash balance. I contacted Merrill Lynch tech support, and they claim that it is not their issue. I don't know who's issue it is, but it would be nice to have it resolved.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're getting that message in a brand new file that suggests ML changed something because that's where the information is being provided.
    I'm confused by this sentence: "Instead, they are providing the cash in either ML Bank and Trust RAS 977G2, ML Bank Deposit Program, ML Bank USA RASP, or Bank Of America RASP."  Do you have any idea what this is referring to? 
    You might want to look at this:
    It sounds to me like ML has changed your sweep options.
  • Talked to ML tech support. They have started a ticket to dig deeper into this issue. It is interesting that on my laptop which is running Win 10 1803 I am getting the cash updates. On my desktop, which is on Win 1909 I get the "Not Provided" in the cash area of each ML account.
  • My quicken version was current, R23.18. On a lark I decided to download and install the Mondo Patch of quicken to see if it might shake something loose. Lo and behold, after installing and rebooting my machine, I still have R23.18 installed, however, the dreaded "Not Provided" message in the Cash holdings was replace by the actual dollar amount in the accounts.
    whether or not this will stay this way I have no idea. Time will tell. Any idea as to what happened ?
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Hello Dennis,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

As a test, I would create a new Quicken file by going to File > New Quicken file and add the Merrill Lynch accounts and see if you get the same message in this new file.

This will test if the information is being sent this way from Merrill Lynch if it works properly this would point to an issue with the file itself.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    Unfortunately, this effects me also.

The Cash Balance always showed the downloaded amount and even triggered red flag on balance mismatch which was nice.

The ofx log still does report the proper cash balance in the <AVAILCASH>37561.29  tag BUT it says in the register if click on cash that cash balance NOT REPORTED (see pic)

I have not found any other differences in the AVAILCASH tag from old ofx and current OFX but Something has changed in either the way they are sending the OFX or Quicken interpreting. (Merrill does not format what they send in an easy to read format)

Normally, since direct connect I would say it must be Merrill problem but since I see it in ofx log, I have to wonder of something changed in a recent Quicken revision?

This is new as OP says just a week or 2

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP did report that he managed to get things fixed in his 2:25PM post, for reasons that aren't clear.  Maybe a bad install of a recent update?

• miklk
    I can work around it and it will say all matches up in Online Holdings (By adjusting to either cash or the sweep security) but mismatches again on next activity.

I suspect they made something different in the OFX but it all looks the same including the fact that availcash tag is there but Quicken indicates it was not reported?

No big deal for me BUT I am still interested in what has changed : The FI sending as I suspect or Quicken receiving. I always treated MM as cash and it worked perfectly. Maybe just a sweep security change but the cash not reported is what is strange since I see it reported.
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited December 2019
    I have another post pending approval, but I'm basically seeing exactly what miklk is seeing. I never get explict sweep transactions into the MM fund in the download (the MM balance is always reported and matches as Cash, not as shares in the MM fund), but recently Quicken raises a share number mismatch in the MM fund (my Quicken says 0 shares, the download now thinks there are shares in the MM account that look like how "Cash" should be. I'm also seeing the "Not Provided" when I try to update the cash balance. Snip attached. ).
  • My fix was to run the mondo patch update. It seems, at least for the interum to have resolved the issue, and I'm seeing the cash balances not "Not Provided".
  • miklk
    I suspect there really is no fix.

On initial setup of an account, Quicken will offer to track Money Market as Cash depending on the FI and IF it is supported.  (Starting a new file did NOT get that offer for cash so probably not available now.)

I had Merrill setup that way for many years. I suspect something changed on the Merrill side that broke that setup. 

I am more curious than anything else and just wanted to figure out what the problem is. Assuming it is something that changed at Merrill, I am afraid there probably is no fix other than just tracking the Money Market itself.

ref: 

Quicken Cash Balance No Longer Matches Brokerage's Cash Balance

15 people found this helpful

If your brokerage tracks your cash balance in a money market fund (also called a "sweep fund"), then during your first investment transaction download Quicken may ask whether you want to track this as a simple cash balance. If you say yes, then Quicken displays the money market fund balance as your cash balance.

• jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    miklk said:
    I can work around it and it will say all matches up in Online Holdings (By adjusting to either cash or the sweep security) but mismatches again on next activity.

I suspect they made something different in the OFX but it all looks the same including the fact that availcash tag is there but Quicken indicates it was not reported?

No big deal for me BUT I am still interested in what has changed : The FI sending as I suspect or Quicken receiving. I always treated MM as cash and it worked perfectly. Maybe just a sweep security change but the cash not reported is what is strange since I see it reported.
    I've been seeing similar recent weirdness in my Merrill Lynch accounts. The downloads never included explicit sweep transactions into MM funds, but the Cash balance was always updated to the correct amount without complaint or error. But now, at about the same time OP reported, I noticed that while I still don't get explicit sweep transactions, now the Cash balance doesn't appear to update, and the download reports a MM shares mismatch (zero shares in Quicken vs a MM amount Merrill that looks suspiciously like what the cash balance would have been).
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    I've been seeing both of these problems (they are just different manifestations of the same issue) for the last couple of weeks as well. There's little doubt in my mind that ML has changed how its handling sweep accounts. In addition, they are (as they have been in the past) handling IRA sweeps differently from those in current investment accounts. In current accounts, the sweep is now coming thru as a transaction, but it IS correctly updating the cash value in Quicken. I do, however, get the Security Mismatch error pictured above, showing a 100% mismatch. So, according to ML, the transaction is correctly updating the incorrect cash position (if that makes any sense). Its annoying to get the error message all the time, but in reality, things are working.
    In IRA accounts, the sweep transaction is also coming thru, but it does NOT update the cash value. The Security Mismatch error shows the value of the new transaction value under shares in Quicken, while the previous balance is listed as Shares Reported. This is a bit more of problem as I have to delete the sweep transaction and then update the cash balance manually. So, the question is: is there a way to change the cash/sweep in existing Quicken accounts to get this back into alignment, and if yes, how?
    Thanks, and Happy New Year to all!
  • I just installed the 23.21 update. The only thing that I see is that the cash balances that were working properly after the installation of the prior Mondo patch are now giving me the "NOT PROVIDED" error that was there before. I'm uninstalling and reinstalling the older version with the old Mondo Patch.
  • miklk
    I just installed the 23.21 update. The only thing that I see is that the cash balances that were working properly after the installation of the prior Mondo patch are now giving me the "NOT PROVIDED" error that was there before. I'm uninstalling and reinstalling the older version with the old Mondo Patch.

Let us know if ML sends the cash balance in your older build..

I suspect it will NOT make a difference as I believe it is a ML change in the way they send the info in which case it won't work in an older build any differently.

PS: IF it does work different in an older build, it would be a possible Quicken problem.
  • The older version did in fact provide the cash balance in all 12 of my Merrill Lynch accounts. This was only after a reinstall and an install of the Mondo Patch for 23.18.
  • miklk
    Dennis:

Verify you are currently getting the Cash Balance reported in a version TODAY

If so: which version: 23.18?
  • The version today gave me issues with Quicken vaporizing to the desktop. It was totally unusable on my machine. The second uninstall/reinstall of today's version gave me the NOT Provided error. It was only after I uninstalled today's version, reinstalled 23.18 AND its Mondo Patch that I got the cash balances to behave as they should.
  • miklk
    Strange, I have tried from current version and back several versions and I never get Cash reported as it used to.

More research needed.....
  • miklk
    OK, on further review. Starting TODAY, I am getting the cash balance in 23.18 and the latest 23.21 (staged release)

I suspect Merrill fixed it on their side as they said they would. Hopefully it will stick...
  • Merrill Lynch tech support created a ticket to investigate this issue. Perhaps if you called them and restated the same issue in a different way, it may give them some different insights. Their phone is 1-888-656-6546. Just keep saying that you need Tech Web Support.
  • Our last emails must have crossed in cyberspace!
  • miklk
    I had previously reported it to them with details. They agreed it was probably something on their side. Hopefully since it appears fixed, they implemented a correction.
  • Kudos to the Quicken Team. The release of todays Mondo Patch has finally resolved my issues with the NOT PROVIDED issue in cash balances. It did not cause Quicken to vaporize to the desk top, and it even survives a reboot of the system and still shows the correct cash balances in my Merrill Lynch accounts.
    Once again to Sarah and the Quicken team, a heartfelt Thank You
    Dennis Freeman
  • mrzookie
    mrzookie Member ✭✭✭✭
    Dennis - I'm running the latest patch (23.21) and am still experiencing the problem. Are you saying you ran the Mondo Patch AFTER installing 23.21, or are you still on 23.18?
  • I am now on 23.21, the current patch, and I am getting (at least for now) cash balances showing up in my accounts. When on 23.18, if I rebooted my machine after the 23.18 MP update I would get the Not Provided until I reinstalled the patch. Very weird!
  • miklk
    It has all been very strange. I suspect ML fixed it on their end near the time of a quicken patch so it wasn't clear to users if it was a Quicken problem or Merrill. Hopefully it will stay fixed. 
  • Today, after downloading my data from Merrill Lynch, the dreaded "Not Provided" words appeared in the Cash Balances. After reinstalling the 23.21 Mondo Patch I got the cash balances back. What is going on here?
  • miklk
    Today, after downloading my data from Merrill Lynch, the dreaded "Not Provided" words appeared in the Cash Balances. After reinstalling the 23.21 Mondo Patch I got the cash balances back. What is going on here?
    Unfortunately, you are right. It comes and goes but the fact that the mondo fixes it temporarily seems to indicate that Quicken may be at fault after all? Still not clear but the info needed in Quicken is obviously there since the mondo fixes it with no further ML updates. I have reached out to try to get this escalated enough to at least get looked at. (There are many files that are accessed by Quicken and the mondo must be overwriting something to get the temp fix)
This discussion has been closed.