Is there a way to add custom asset allocations

Options
Is there a way to add asset allocations like, REITS, CEF (Closed end funds), Commodity, Preferreds etc. Basically i want to customize asset allocation. I dont need the pre-prescribed categories, of small cap, large cap, international etc

Comments

• Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    One thing that you can do is use the security type field and customize its categories to whatever you want.  Do that from the Edit Security Details screen via a link right next to the type drop down box.

If you have mutual funds and want to use average cost, then first set the type to mutual fund(makes average cost box visible), and check the  use average cost box on the Edit Security Details screen.  Then you can change it to whatever type you want.

Of Course this won’t work with the  built in asset allocation routines as they are fixed  by the outside provider, but you can group  by type in portfolio view, etc. to get a sense of your mix by type.

HTH

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• apes
    apes Member
    Options
    Not sure it works that way. in the edit security details, it only allows for specific asset types. I do not see a way to customize asset class into REITS, Preferreds, Commodity ETC....
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I did not say that.  I said that you could use Security type as a way to track by the classifications you wanted to, and I pointed out it would not work with the existing asset allocation categories.   It was a workaround to the fact that you cannot add your own custom categories since the outside provider controls them.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Another workaround is to use the security Investing Goal for your user-defined asset classes. The downside of this is that it is all or nothing for each security, so you can't have a security that is 80% one type and 20% another.

If you are referring to asset classes like large cap, small cap, international, etc and not security types and would like Quicken to make improvements in this area, please comment and vote on this Idea post.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/19281834#Comment_19281834
    QWin Premier subscription
  • apes
    apes Member
    Options
    Also, I guess what i'm really looking for is Sector classification. As with expense categories, Quicken should allow you to customize.
This discussion has been closed.