What EoY or BoY routines do you do in Quicken?

Scooterlam
Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
Perhaps a bit late to start this discussion but maybe not!   Here are a few of my end of year routines.  What are yours?

Tax Planner:
  • After all my LTCG distributions settle in mid to late December, I make sure that my Tax Planner "Projected Scenario" is copied over Scenario 1, 2 or 3.  For safekeeping, I print out my projected scenario and stash it in my current year tax folder.  I've had a few instances of the year changeover causing data loss.  
Lifetime Planner:
  • Walk through each and every one of my LTP assumptions and update as necessary.
  • Take snapshots of the plan graph and balances for the two years that bookend my plan graph
  • Watch and resolve any odd gapping ups/downs in plan balances from 12.31 to 01.01.
  • Make notes of significant changes in plan assumptions
  • Pull my "withdrawal rate" Quicken report and update my offline "safe withdrawal rate" spreadsheet.
Budget: 
  • Final update on next years budget
  • Review Quicken Spending tab v. Budget Spending and resolve any differences.   This is a good check on any "un-budgeted" expenditures!
QDATA File Maintenance:
  • File Validation
  • Manual file backup on 12.31
Tagged:

Comments

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Estimated Income Reconciliation:
    • In the Edit Security/Other Info tab, reconcile and update the current dividend rate for each security in the portfolio.
    • Review the Estimated Income totals for the upcoming year, and compare to last year actuals.
    Historical Portfolio Income Spreadsheet Update:
    • Reconcile the income from each position in the portfolio as of 12/31 via Investment Activity reports.
    • Export data to spreadsheet for YoY comparison.
    • Identify changes for action and analysis.
    • Compare to next FY Estimated Income reconciliation
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
  • mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    January 1st is my favorite day to experiment with the Lifetime Planner as I don't have to try to do math to figure out the full year amounts from the partial year pro-rated amounts.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    mshiggins said:
    January 1st is my favorite day to experiment with the Lifetime Planner as I don't have to try to do math to figure out the full year amounts from the partial year pro-rated amounts.
     :)  Too funny,  doing the same thing now.   Exported 25 years of plan data to a spreadsheet just now.   Looking forward to making some sense of the numbers!
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jr7107 said:
    • Review the Estimated Income totals for the upcoming year, and compare to last year actuals.
    just wondering where that is located -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• mshiggins
    mshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    mshiggins said:
     :)  Too funny,  doing the same thing now.   Exported 25 years of plan data to a spreadsheet just now.   Looking forward to making some sense of the numbers!
    They used to have an online version of the LTP on quicken.com which was much easier to extract the data from :-(. One of the quicken.com revamps removed that feature. I still miss it.

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jr7107
    jr7107 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    @ps56k
    jr7107 said:
    just wondering where that is located -

Estimate Income is a customized investment view that uses the dividend rate in the Security Details x Number of Shares and provides an Estimated Income for the position.

Manually comb through each security and reconcile that the Div Rate matches current.

Run an Investment Activity report and check if the actual earned income matches the Estimated Income number in the portfolio view.
    Quicken user since 1994.
    Quicken Forum/Community Contributor since 2005.
This discussion has been closed.