Issues within Reportiing

When running budget report I see the same category appearing as 2 distinct lines under inflows and a category line missing within outflows although the value is within the outflow total.

Comments

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …
    Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?
    The Windows Snipping Tool (available with Windows 7 and up) can be used to capture a partial screen image and save it to a file.  Microsoft Paint can be used to annotate the image.
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots
    To take a screenshot in Mac please see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201361
    Please create image files of type PNG, JPG or GIF only.
    To attach the image here, start composing your reply in the "Type your comment" box at the bottom of this webpage. Drag and drop the image or, at the top of the text entry window you'll see a row of icons possibly beginning with B I S
    Click the "Attach image" icon (the one that looks like a tiny landscape with mountain and sun). It will allow you to select and upload the captured image file(s) from your computer. The captured image(s) will be inserted at wherever the cursor is located in the text.

• MAJYK4
    MAJYK4 Member
    Thanks for prompt reply. Please let me know if more info is needed to help resolve.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's see now ... without seeing what's really going on, I can only guess ...
    • "Unpledged" x 2: could be that Berry and Null are hidden subcategories or have a Category Group spelled differently than the other Unpledged categories
    • "Severance": is either hidden category or is not selected as part of the report customization
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Sometimes running a different report can smoke things out.  Run a Spending > Income and Expense by by Category report but before running it customize it and click Accounts, click Show (hidden accounts), and Select All, do the same for Categories.  Set the time period to the same as your Current Budget report. 

• MAJYK4
    MAJYK4 Member
    Appreciate the help but so far no luck. I verified hidden categories are selected, showed all accounts, etc. I ran several reports looking at Income and Expense, Cash Flows, Comparisons. These all properly reflected the info at issue. However, in running my saved budget report AND in creating a new budget report, the issues are still present.
  • Bob_L
    Bob_L SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try File, File operations, validate and repair, validate.

Quicken Business & Personal Subscription, Windows 11 Home

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the "actuals" are showing up properly in spending and other reports, could it have anything to do with the "budget" setup?   But do try the validate process first.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    There is something very weird about your second Unpledged category, because it sorts after Xmas Eve in an alphabetical list. I suspect there is a non-printing character or something at the beginning of its name.

[edited] The fact that Null and Berry do not appear with the other Unpledged subcategories in your category list indicates that they are associated with another category.

You might have to delete and re-create those categories to straighten things out. You would have to reassign the categories to any transactions that are affected. 
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Or maybe the second Unpledged has an umlaut over the U or something.

If you can find the second Unpledged in your Category list, maybe you can move the subcategories to the first one.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    MAJYK4 said:
    Appreciate the help but so far no luck. I verified hidden categories are selected, showed all accounts, etc. I ran several reports looking at Income and Expense, Cash Flows, Comparisons. These all properly reflected the info at issue. However, in running my saved budget report AND in creating a new budget report, the issues are still present.
    Or maybe the second Unpledged has an umlaut over the U or something.

If you can find the second Unpledged in your Category list, maybe you can move the subcategories to the first one.
    From @MAJYK4's comment, it sounds like the categories are fine in other reports. So it sounds more like a bug in the budget report.
    I have seen random bugs in various reports, where subcategories don't line up under their parent categories, for example. Quicken staff can never reproduce these, because they're peculiar to my data file. Validate doesn't fix them.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• MAJYK4
    MAJYK4 Member
    Again, thanks to all for your thoughts and input. After "playing" around I've reached the conclusion that it is budget report issue. Tried new categories in the Outflow area because only one transaction is involved. It appears any new category or new sub-category within an existing category fails to break out as a line item on the budget reports (my saved one or the standard one in Quicken). If I use an existing category or leave it uncategorized, it appears as a line item on the budget reports. All other reporting, be they my saved ones or standard Quicken, has no problem and lines appear as one would expect. I plan on contacting Quicken support tomorrow but based on Rocket J Squirrel's earlier comment, I'm not holding much hope for favorable outcome. Thanks everyone.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have the time, I’d suggest letting Support share your screen. Prepare in advance so they see only what you want them to see. And refer them to this thread. Good luck!

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

This discussion has been closed.