Capital One Accounts Won't Authorize/Download (updated title)

mattmills07
mattmills07 Member ✭✭
When I go to re-authorize my Capital One accounts, I get to the sign in page, enter my credentials, and then the process times out after spinning for several minutes.
Tagged:

Answers

• Lynda Russell
    Lynda Russell Member ✭✭
    edited December 2019
    In an attempt to troubleshoot a sync issue, I deactivated downloads.

Now when I try to add the connection back, I click on Capital One 360, login, and it just spins and spins and spins. Never offers the accounts to link.

I have restarted quicken and the mac, but the issue persists. I am on Quicken 5.13.3 and mac OS 10.13.6 (no I can't upgrade since this is the latest my Mac will support).

All was working fine until this quicken upgrade.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Lynda,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

If you are still needing assistance with connecting to Capital One, there may be another instance in the bank list that may work to connect the connect.

Go to Settings on the Capital One accounts and select "Set Up Transaction Download" and choose Capital One Card-Current.

Let me know if the behavior persists or if you are able to connect the account.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Thanks Tyka

I have just tried this - same issue. I tried about 4 different capital one options, but it still just spins.

... Lynda.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Lynda,

Thank you for giving that a try and letting me know the result.

May I ask that you navigate to the Mac "System Preferences."

Then choose "Security & Privacy" and ensure that the Firewall is turned off.

If the firewall is already listed as off, may I ask that you add an account for a different bank as a test to see if this exhibits the same behavior?

To add an account click on the plus and choose "Checking" and choose a bank that you currently have an account at.

If you are able to successfully sign in and get a list of accounts to link/add, you may close the window to avoid making any changes to these accounts.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Thanks Tyka. I don't have firewall turned on. And I tried with another bank - bank of america - and all is working perfectly.
  • Here's how the capital one screen looks - after I click add, it asks for userid and password, and then stays like this until it times out.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Lynda,

Thank you for the response, giving those steps a try and including a screenshot of the Capital One screen.

I am unable to recreate this and I receive the option to sign in and do not receive a blank sign in, this points to the issue being something local and not an issue with Capital One.

If you haven't already, I would start by rebooting the computer, I would then try to connect the account once more this time, select the "?" in the bank list and choose update list and then search for Capital One and sign in.

Do you run any 3rd party antivirus such as Norton or Malwarebytes, just to list a few examples?

If neither of those steps works to correct the issue, try going to:

Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services and click the blue "Reset" to reset the cloud.

Let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Hi Tyka
    I will try this later today. But I get to the Capital one login (same as your screenshot) and can login successfully. And then the spinning icon starts - I never get the list of accounts to add/link.

... Lynda
  • lholo8695
    lholo8695 Member ✭✭
    I have this same exact problem. Spent 1 1/2 with chat support yesterday and the result was it's Capital one's problem, in which I called them and they say it's not. I'm hoping for a solution soon.
    Lisa
  • Thanks Tyka - no I don't have anti-virus. I tried your suggestion of the reset, but still the same outcome - spinning and never the the accounts listed to link.
  • Atlas4
    Atlas4 Member ✭✭✭
    Same problem
  • mattmills07
    mattmills07 Member ✭✭
    Same problem for me. I've tried all the same steps with the same result. Hopefully Quicken will come up with a solution soon!
  • mattmills07
    mattmills07 Member ✭✭
    Still having this issue, tried chatting 3-4 times and no improvement from Quicken chat support.
  • I tried on my other machine this weekend. This works fine on Catalina version of MacOS -- so it's specific to down version MACs, which (sadly) can't upgrade.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello Lynda,

Thank you for the response and for testing this on a second computer, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

It may be possible that the issue is with the admin on the previous computer.

I would create a new admin/user and open Quicken and see if you are able to update there.

For steps on creating a new admin please see the information below:

https://support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/set-up-other-users-on-your-mac-mtusr001/mac

If you need further assistance with the process, I would recommend contacting Apple Support.

https://www.apple.com/support/products/iphone/

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Atlas4
    Atlas4 Member ✭✭✭
    Just spent 90 minutes on the phone with Quicken. Was finally able to get it to connect and link an account using Capital One Bank - New but it only linked one of my accounts. Tried doing it again and could not connect as above. Disconnected all accounts and still can't connect. Quicken claims it's a Capital One server issue but they don't have any reports of server outages supposedly.

Capital One has been a PITA with connections over the years.
  • lholo8695
    lholo8695 Member ✭✭
    I've tried this last suggestion and it did not work for me. After years of using quicken both Mac and Windows versions, I think its time to find another solution as this has wasted a lot of time and frustration.
  • Alan Grobman
    Alan Grobman Member ✭✭✭
    It stopped downloading about 4 days ago, called Quicken Support, had me deauthorize it and reauthorize it --> same issue no reauthorization, just times out on both Capital One Card -Current and and Capital One Card Services. Awaiting Quicken or Capital One to acknowledge there is an issue.
  • Paul26
    Paul26 Member ✭✭
    For some reason, two Capital One 360 accounts are showing up in the One Step Update screen. One of them gets an error (an error has occurred) and the other downloads transactions properly. However, the one that is receiving the error seems to be associated with the bill-pay account and the other is not. Due to this error, I can no longer pay bills.
  • Alan Grobman
    Alan Grobman Member ✭✭✭
    I found my solution, maybe it will work for you. In the Capital One Account if you are trying to reauthorize, your account is probably already linked on that account so it will not do it again. You go into your profile after you sign in on the Capital One Account, click Security and click on Linked Accounts and de-link the Quicken Account. Then when you go to authorize it through Quicken it works perfectly!
  • DOWG
    DOWG Member ✭✭
    I have 2 accounts at Capital One. One is a credit card, the other is a 360 savings account. The 360 savings account gets an error when trying to download transactions. If I try to reauthorize the account, only the credit card account shows up for reauthorization. If I log into Capital One using my online access, both accounts show up. Anyone else having this issue or know how to fix this?
  • Rick6
    Rick6 Member ✭✭
    I am also having a problem today with Capital One 360 downloads into Quicken. This is with both Mac and PC based Quicken. I also maintain a Mint.com account, to make sure my software stays honest, and Mint.com is downloading Capital One 360 with no problem. So it appears that Quicken is the source of the issues with Capital One 360 today.
  • Rick6
    Rick6 Member ✭✭
    Tried again just before 1am EST, Jan 2 2020, my Capital One 360 accounts successfully downloaded my 12/31/2019 interest and transactions in Quicken Mac. Hopefully this means that the problem Quicken servers were having with Capital One 360 is now resolved.
  • jbrown08322
    jbrown08322 Member ✭✭
    Have a Capital One 360 savings account and can sign into their website OK with known Username/Password.

Had been linked to Quicken and working for years to download transactions (NOT setup for bill pay). Recently had gotten a prompt to re-auth, but it did not work. Returns a popup window with “We’re sorry, we hit a snag”.

Have tried Reset Account, Deactivate and then tried redo “Online setup”. Also tried to just add as a new account. Always get this same pop-up.

I also “unlinked” Quicken at the Capital One website and tried again with same results.
  • Atlas4
    Atlas4 Member ✭✭✭
    I've been having problems setting up new Capital One accounts in Quicken Mac and reliably downloading transactions from existing accounts for several weeks. Multiple calls to quicken and now just finished my 4th call to Capital One and and an overseas tech rep who told me the escalation team at Capital One said to go back to Quicken. Quicken says to go back to Capital One. Sucks all around.
  • Atlas4
    Atlas4 Member ✭✭✭
    I have been having a similar problem for several weeks. Been on the phone with Quicken and Cap One several times. Both say the other is at fault. I'm giving up for now.
  • Atlas4
    Atlas4 Member ✭✭✭
    I have been having this problem for about 3 weeks. Quicken says it's Cap One, Cap One says quicken. Been escalated at Cap One and just got off the phone with an overseas tech support person who said to contact Quicken.

I have 3 Cap One accounts. 1 is working fine and I deactivated the other and tried to reactivate, only to be faced with the time out issues when trying to authenticate. This account used to work so beware disconnecting your authentication if you have multiple accounts.

IDK who is at fault, but this is absurd.
  • jbrown08322
    jbrown08322 Member ✭✭
    I found a few links about problems with Bill Pay, but this issue seems to be newer. I was OK until the ReAuth triggered.
  • Karen Lorince
    Karen Lorince Member ✭✭
    I am having the same issue. The odd thing is that it worked for quite a while, but I've not been able to update it in Quicken for weeks. I contacted Quicken, but for some reason, they closed my ticket eventhough it was not resolved. Any guidance will be most appreciated!
  • Dan3
    Dan3 Member ✭✭
    Same issue. Not able to download using direct connect. Must manually download transactions from Capital One website. quicken not able to connect to capital one site. Been an issue for 3 weeks now. Nothing on line that addresses this that I can see.
This discussion has been closed.