Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Having trouble with one-step update (updated title)

Answers

• taylordr61taylordr61 Member
    I am also having the same issue with 2017 and on a hunch based on the comments above for 2020 I turned off animations and it started working.
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @taylordr61 ,

Are you keeping Adobe Flash Player updated, before it gets retired?
  • taylordr61taylordr61 Member
    yes I am is it required for OSU? or quicken animations?
  • thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @taylordr61 ,

I don't know, only that it is scheduled to be a security nightmare in 2020, when updates stop.
  • Brett104Brett104 Member ✭✭
    edited January 6
    One Step updates still do not work entirely correct for me using Build 27.1.23.21 for Quicken - Premier 2020; I still have to un-check "Download quotes and investment information" to prevent it from freezing. Thanks.
  • qal2947qal2947 Member
    Not sure if this will help others, but I thought I'd share what worked for me. Long time Quicken user and just upgraded from Q2017 to 2-yr subscription (Q2018) in mid-Dec and currently using R23.18 build 27.1.23.18. Q2017 One-step update was working just fine, but right after I switched to the subscription version, one-step update would hang (spinning circle) constantly. I looked through the list of symbols it is supposed to update and I had really old ticker symbols from long expired option contracts, delisted/acquired companies and symbols that I made up. After pruning symbols that were no longer valid or needed (uncheck download quotes and watch list boxes in the security list), one-step update worked again and it's also much faster. FYI...my animations are turned on. Hope this helps.
  • markeastermarkeaster Member ✭✭
    Sarah, is qal2947's suggestion about turning off old ticker symbols recommended? I just went through only the "A"s and it took a half hour (I do a lot of options trading). The update is slow and tedious. To go through the rest of the list would take hours. I would appreciate some feedback from Quicken before investing this time. Thanks!
  • markus1957markus1957 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    An interesting point-  Quicken specifies a limit of 2,000 trackable securities but it has never been made clear what the ramifications of exceeding that specification are.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/size-or-capacity-limitations-quicken-data-file

In any case, it has to slow some processes down, but to a crawl?
  • karminskarmins Member ✭✭
    edited January 6
    How about some sort of status update on the Quicken Bill Pay issue! Transactions not showing up in OSU, and unable to re-activate accounts to QBP.
    (Removed-Disruptive) 

Any response?????
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    DrDaveW49 said:
    My problem seems to be slightly different from the one mentioned in the messages here (although I will grant I haven't examined them all!). I continue to be able to download transactions from my credit union for all the accounts I have there, with no problems or delays whatsoever. However....

I have NOT been able to send payments through Quicken Bill Pay. I initiate the Update (by any one of the methods available). I get a window that asks me to enter the password for the credit union account from which I am paying the bill(s). This used to be entered automatically, but OK. Once I do so I am presented with a window that tells me I need to enter the password for my credit union (which I have already done). The only option I have is to click "OK," which takes me back to the previous window! When I called Tech Support about this, I was told that my problem was part of the problem everyone has been discussing here.

Hello @DrDaveW49

Thank you for posting about the issues you are experiencing.  The R23.20 test build will not help resolve any issues with Quicken Bill Pay, I apologize.  It is targeted specifically at resolving the slowness/hang or "freeze" when running the One Step Update.

When attempting to Add or Activate an online account or service, Quicken may present a message "Please enter your passwords. To Continue, enter the password for the following institutions." on what appears to be a blank screen with no place to actually enter the password(s). This is an informational message, not a "provide password here" screen. 

The blank "enter password" window can occur for a few different reasons: 

Cause

This message will be presented when one or more of the following conditions occur:

• You are attempting to Add or Activate an account held at a financial institution you already have activated in your file but for which you have an outdated/incorrect password stored;
    • You are attempting to Add or Activate a service (such as Quicken Bill Pay) to an account that is currently attempting to connect with an outdated/incorrect password;
    • You mis-typed the confirmation entry of the password during the Add/Activate setup process;
    • You are attempting to Add or Activate a service that you do not yet have enabled at the financial institution;
    • You are attempting to Add or Activate an account or service with Mobile Sync, but have invalid credentials stored in your database.
    • This may also occur if your Quicken Bill Pay password contains special characters (such as !,@,&, # etc).

To resolve this message

1. Click OK to the informational screen.
    2. Cancel the Add or Activate process you are currently performing.
    3. Open your Account List (Ctrl+A), making sure to Show Hidden Accounts.
    4. Confirm you do not have any existing accounts for this financial institution that are Activated for Online Services; Deactivate any that are showing as Activated.
    5. Choose Add Account and walk through these screens up to but not past the "we found the following" screen.
    6. On the "we found the following" screen, choose to LINK those found accounts to the accounts you already have listed in your Quicken file.

NOTE: If you are attempting to add Quicken Bill Pay to one of your existing banking accounts with another financial institution, make sure you follow these steps for the financial institution before attempting to complete them for Quicken Bill Pay.

I hope this information is helpful, but if you are still experiencing issues with Quicken Bill Pay, please start a new thread to let us know.

Thank you,

Sarah

Sarah, is qal2947's suggestion about turning off old ticker symbols recommended? I just went through only the "A"s and it took a half hour (I do a lot of options trading). The update is slow and tedious. To go through the rest of the list would take hours. I would appreciate some feedback from Quicken before investing this time. Thanks!
    Hi @markeaster

Thank you for reaching out!  If you have several old/unused or no longer active securities, I would recommend following the steps provided by @qal2947

If Quicken is trying to refresh outdated or no longer valid information, the multiple failed requests during the update can cause a slowdown or hang to occur.

Removing any outdated information from the update should speed up the One Step Update since it is not having to process through internal errors/issues for invalid data requests.

I hope this information is helpful and if issues do persist after removing the outdated options, please start a new thread to let us know and continue troubleshooting.

Thank you,

Sarah
    karmins said:
    How about some sort of status update on the Quicken Bill Pay issue! Transactions not showing up in OSU, and unable to re-activate accounts to QBP.
    (Removed-Disruptive) 

Any response?????
    Hello @karmins

The internal root cause of the Quicken Bill Pay issues has been resolved for all Users, however, we are continuing to see reports of Users receiving an error while attempting to reconnect Quicken Bill Pay that we are further investigating.

If you are continuing to experience issues connecting with Quicken Bill Pay, please contact Quicken Support for assistance with further troubleshooting and/or re-establishing the connection.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • jwhfallsjwhfalls Member
    edited January 6
    Quicken for Windows Subscription user: The downloaded update from this site worked for me. One step update is now working again. (Removed)
  • Don KelleyDon Kelley Member ✭✭
    Sarah,

The purpose of this post/reply is to provide you and your team some positive fact-based feedback.

Just executed the upgrade (R23.21) and subsequently, the One Step Update.

Everything worked flawlessly with dramatically “quicker” performance processing my transaction downloads from 18 accounts (“pun” intended). All is well.

Please extend my thanks and compliments to everyone on your team who contributed to this prompt resolution.

Best regards,

Don Kelley
  • Tom BernardiTom Bernardi Member ✭✭
    Agree with Don Kelley - The one step update (with animations ON) is functioning well with the new release.
  • chris.janet.walnchris.janet.waln Member ✭✭
    Thanks for a great job of fixing the issues and communicating progress to us. All features of Quicken are now faster than I can remember.
  • I can confirm that the R23.21 "Hot Fix patch" installs fine over the R23.20 "test build" for this subscription user.
  • jeffcody01jeffcody01 Member
    I've been watching from the sidelines as the first "fix" of turning off Animation worked for me so I didn't have any urgency.

Just letting you know that I downloaded the R23.21 version and it is working with both animation on and animation off. Looks to be about the same speed of overall response.

Thanks for the attention to this. As many have said, without the one-step update, Quicken is not very valuable.

> @"Quicken Sarah" said:
    > Hello All,
    >
    >  After installing the R23.21 release, please start a new thread to report any issues, errors or concerns experienced.

> Thank you,
    >
    > Sarah
  • BBCTBBCT Member ✭✭
    1/6/20 Update: I installed the 27.1.23.21 patch and all is working normally, with or without animations. OSU is back to its previous speed. For me, a total of 21 separate accounts in Quicken update in approx. 1 minute.
  • Joe A LopezJoe A Lopez Member ✭✭
    I'm a Quicken 2020 user and I downloaded the R23.21 Hot Fix patch made available this morning. With Animations turned on, the OSU process worked beautifully. I had both accounts selected and Quicken Bills, Investments Updates checked. The process updated all selections within a couple of minutes. Thank you!
  • TheHarTheHar Member ✭✭
    Quicken Sarah,
    After reloading my Quicken 2020 all worked well and I am release 23.18 Build:
    27.1.23.18 with no problem other than slow OSU. What is the timeframe for the formal general release/fix. I think I will wait till then instead of a patch or hotfix.
  • allenlatourallenlatour Member ✭✭
    Where is the link for the Patch!?
  • shobacktshobackt Member ✭✭
    As part of what appears to be the roll-out of a possible fix that @Quicken Sarah referred to in a prior comment, I was notified of an update being available this morning upon loading. I chose to postpone installation of this update right now since after experiencing the issue in mid-December merely turning off animations has returned me to a working state for the past month. Continued reading of the other/additional issues over that time has not fostered confidence we truly have this issue resolved nor that any root cause has been found (or at least not communicated clearly). I fear many side-car issues have been connected to the initial OSU issue such as Bill Pay and stock symbol pruning. Once a formal root cause statement and more extended fix confirmation for OSU is available (hopefully within a week) I hope to install the update.

Decades old Quicken user.... Quicken 2020 Subscription, V: R23.18 ; Build 27.1.23.18 ; Windows 10 Home V: 1903 running in VMWare 11.1.1 shell on MAC OS Mojave 10.14.6 ; MAC Mini
    Decades old Quicken user.... Quicken 2020 Subscription, V: R24.11 ; Build 27.1.24.11 ; Windows 10 Home V: 1903 running in VMWare 11.1.1 shell on MAC OS Catalina 10.15.2 ; MAC Mini
  • SandCSandC Member ✭✭
    > @shobackt said:
    > As part of what appears to be the roll-out of a possible fix that @Quicken Sarah referred to in a prior comment, I was notified of an update being available this morning upon loading. I chose to postpone installation of this update right now since after experiencing the issue in mid-December merely turning off animations has returned me to a working state for the past month. Continued reading of the other/additional issues over that time has not fostered confidence we truly have this issue resolved nor that any root cause has been found (or at least not communicated clearly). I fear many side-car issues have been connected to the initial OSU issue such as Bill Pay and stock symbol pruning. Once a formal root cause statement and more extended fix confirmation for OSU is available (hopefully within a week) I hope to install the update.
    >
    > Decades old Quicken user.... Quicken 2020 Subscription, V: R23.18 ; Build 27.1.23.18 ; Windows 10 Home V: 1903 running in VMWare 11.1.1 shell on MAC OS Mojave 10.14.6 ; MAC Mini

I agree 100%. Seems that there are some people that have had issues with this update as it has made their situation worse. Seems to me that the main issue might have been on the Quicken server side as if a miracle appeared to get better.
  • RobertRobert Member ✭✭
    I have two post-fix questions relating to what Quicken is doing to restore confidence in the reliability of their product:

1) Will Quicken provide some sort of compensation for the customer impact? Something like extending subscriptions by one month or something?

2) Will Quicken conduct a post-mortem on what happened and what is needed to make sure it will never happen again and will this post-mortem be shared with us together with an action plan to ensure stability in the future?

I really think most of us are frustrated and losing confidence in the product and that Quicken should proactively take steps to turn this around.

@QuickenSarah any comments?

Robert
  • mshigginsmshiggins SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Robert said:
    I have two post-fix questions relating to what Quicken is doing to restore confidence in the reliability of their product:

1) Will Quicken provide some sort of compensation for the customer impact? Something like extending subscriptions by one month or something?

2) Will Quicken conduct a post-mortem on what happened and what is needed to make sure it will never happen again and will this post-mortem be shared with us together with an action plan to ensure stability in the future?

I really think most of us are frustrated and losing confidence in the product and that Quicken should proactively take steps to turn this around.

@QuickenSarah any comments?

Robert
    I agree! What steps will Quicken be taking to prevent reoccurrence of these issues. An update from Eric Dunn would be appreciated. 

Quicken user since Q1999. Currently using QW2017.
    Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • Life is good. Did an automatic download of the fix this morning and OSU works with or without animations.
    Don’t have a bill to pay, so haven’t tried billpay yet, although it was working fine yesterday.
    I should note that I do NOT update stock prices, sync cloud, or update bills on OSU. Subscription with Windows 10.
  • markeastermarkeaster Member ✭✭
    Installed, ran OSU, AOK including 2FA and no blinking or black screens. If this continues throughout the week, I will be thrilled. While some have only been battling this since December, I have been having problems for months. Thank you for the update and your communication, Sarah and team. Hope this is an indication that things are finally improving. I, too, would like to hear from Dunn regarding current challenges, problems, and future expectations.
  • Joseph WitkinJoseph Witkin Member ✭✭
    edited January 9
    OSU working after 27.1.23.21, but new issue today with SDCCU (San Diego County Credit Union) download which hopefully is unrelated and a problem at their end - just posting in case anyone else noticed similar behavior.
    During OSU, dialog seems to run successfully - "updating institution", then "requesting, receiving" as usual. I have 3 accounts there, and it runs through request-receive 3 times, seems to be getting the info. At least once, I even got a green check mark, though not always - but then I got, first error 803 - credentials are incorrect - and now error 800 - "may also be a server error". Rebranding did not help. Even deactivating online download for the accounts and setting up again did not work. The credentials are fine, and logging in to SDCCU website (in browser) works fine.
    Again, hopefully an issue with the institution that will fix... but the timing...

FOLLOW UP - resolved 12 hours later after deactivating Online Update for all 3 accounts at this institution, and re-adding them. This has happened occassionally in the past with SDCCU, which uses Express Web Connect. Presumably and hopefully not related to the issues under discussion in this thread. Otherwise, all is well with the latest update.
This discussion has been closed.