Selling a portion of a mutual fund, and not having the cash reflected in the fund's cash balance

While adding a new mutual fund account this morning, quicken proceeded to "Update" several existing funds in the same fund family. In the process of trying to correct one of those updates, I went in to reestablish a partial sale of some shares (Sell), and designating the sale be reflected in the fund's cash balance. Now It won't do that. Rather than show a cash amount, and reflect that in the cash balance--it shows a red invoice amount reflecting the same sale amount. WHY???

Best Answers

• plastic/fantastic
    plastic/fantastic Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Found an old post about setting preferences to see placeholder entries, and sure enough--problem solved. What a boat load of time spent!

Answers

• NOTE: I did a sell transaction for 1/9/20, (Exactly what I was trying to do earlier), and it worked perfectly. However, entering a transaction for 5/2018 produced the above result. Is there some sort of restriction for past dates?
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    On that date in 5/2018, did you have sufficient shares available for that Sell transaction?
    Is it possible that you have Placeholder transactions in your investment register?

About Placeholders (Quicken Windows)

"N/A" in certain fields of an investment transaction indicates that you have Placeholder transactions in your account that need to be deleted and replaced with the correct Buy / Sell / etc. transaction that should have been recorded here.
    For more about Placeholders please go into Quicken Help (press the F1 key from anywhere in Quicken) and perform a Contents search for "placeholder".
    Alternatively or in addition to the above, read the first few articles found here: https://www.quicken.com/support/search/placeholder

• I did not see any placeholder entries in the register. The actual sell transaction properly reduced the share total by the correct amount. The transaction itself has the security name and the account as both showing the same fund, the correct number of shares being sold, the market price of the shares as of that day, "0" commission, and the correct dollar amount of the total sale. On the ledger, the share balance is appropriately reduced, but it shows a red minus amount in the invoice amount, N/A in the cash amount field, and 0 in the cash balance.
  • plastic/fantastic
    plastic/fantastic Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Found an old post about setting preferences to see placeholder entries, and sure enough--problem solved. What a boat load of time spent!
  • There wasn't, but only because it was turned off in preferences. (I didn't even know it was possible to turn it off)!! Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.