Charitable IRA Distributions

Options
How do i account for charitable IRA distributions? Quicken needs to
1. Update gross distributions on 1099-R Form Block 1
2. Update Taxable amount on 1009-R Form Block 2a

This should show up on Quicken tax reports, which does not happen. This is a transaction where my broker makes a cash IRS withdrawal and sends a check directly to the charity, one charity per transaction. I've tried tying the IRA tax line item on my category to gross IRS distribution,. which is true, but how do I register the charitable part? The best I've been able to do categorize it as a special charitable payment, but that keeps is off of the gross distributions total.

I wish that Quicken could be able to handle this, but, overall, Quicken is clumsy when it comes to IRA withdrawals.

Best Answer

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    I believe what you are citing is a Qualified Charitable Distribution (QCD).  You might start here for such discussions or search the community for QCD:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20048883#Comment_20048883
  • Ted109
    Ted109 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I can dream up kluge type workarounds myself; I'm a retired software developer. Is there an elegant solution within Quicken?
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    No, there is not currently an elegant solution in Quicken. If you would like the developers to consider making one, please vote on the Idea post referenced above. 
    QWin Premier subscription
This discussion has been closed.