how to edit a subcategory

Options
I am a longtime Q windows user converting to mac. I used to be able to edit a subcategory and change the parent category. Can I do that in mac? When I create a subcategory I don't see a box to indicate what parent category I want to put it in?

Best Answer

Answers

• pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I am a longtime Q windows user converting to mac. I have created my own custom categories and want to continue to use them. Q mac wants to put my transactions into the default categories. Q windows used to learn to put, say for example food, into my own custom category "food and supplies" but now it wants to put it into the default category. Since it seems that Q mac does not learn (at least thats what I pick up from reading the forums), may I change the name of the default category and then merge it with my custom category so that Q will put it in the right place? Any other suggestions would be great.

Also, I am so glad to have found this community. It is really helping me figure out how to use Q mac!
  • J_Mike
    J_Mike SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can move a subcategory from one parent category to another  by dragging and dropping in the Category List (from the menu bar - Windows > Categories).

To create a new subcategory, select the parent category and then select the "+" icon at bottom-left of the Category List and select New Subcategory.
    QWin & QMac (Deluxe) Subscription
    Quicken user since 1991

• pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you! So rather than a drop down box, you select the parent category first by clicking on it and then create the new subcategory?

Along the same lines, may I drag a default parent category into one of my custom categories and make it a subcategory of my custom category using the dragging method?

I have read posts about merging that indicate that categories must be at the same level to merge them, so I thought this might be a way to get them at the same level.

Once I delete a default category, is it gone forever or only from that particular budget?

Thank you so much for your help.
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Yes, you can drag categories up or down levels. When going up, you need to be careful to make sure the line that appears when you hover while dragging is at the level you want it.

If you delete a category entirely, it is completely gone and all transactions and budget entries formerly using it will become uncategorized.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Rick. I think I have read posts that say that Qmac does not learn or remember categories that I am using, that it puts transactions in categories where it thinks they should go. If I delete a quicken Default category, I understand that transactions that are already in that category become uncategorized but going forward, might Q then put new ones into my custom category or would it put them in uncategorized?

If you delete a category is it gone from all budgets everywhere or just the one you are working on?

Lastly, when I look at my category list to see which ones are unused, it is showing me ones that I think that I used a few years ago but I am not using them now. I don't want to delete them because they are important in past reports. How can I ask Q to look further back when giving me that used/unused category list?

Thank you so much for your help,
    Pamela
  • pamela77
    pamela77 Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Sorry to ask one more question😏 Does the quick fill mean that Q mac will now learn/memorize where I put my transactions or is this a way to do it by specifying certain categories for certain payees?
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Options
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
This discussion has been closed.