I backup to a USB flash drive. The backup never finishes. I never get the finished message.

rdear02
rdear02 Member ✭✭
My file is huge and the backup never finishes. At this point I don't know if my backup is complete or not.
Tagged:

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How large is your data file? Have you tried another USB flash drive or another location?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    how big - my QW R23.18 - QDF file is 160MB

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rdear02 said:
    My file is huge and the backup never finishes. At this point I don't know if my backup is complete or not.
    do you mean creating the extra manual backups...
    File --> Backup -->
    There is also a "completed" message that appears, BUT can be turned off ... ??

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please tell us more about the size of your "huge" data file.
    Also tell us more about the USB stick. How much free space is there on it before backup starts?
    Is it possible that you need to delete some older backups to make space available?
    Have you checked the USB stick for disk errors?
  • rdear02
    rdear02 Member ✭✭
    My file is about 160mb and I don't get the "file successfully backed up" message. The screen remains black with a message in the center that the backup is taking place. I have waited as long as one hour for completion. I have even tried a new empty stick. I try to back up at least once per week and sometimes more often. It all depends on how much work has been done.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Let's try some "Troubleshooting 101" to ensure the Quicken software is installed and updated properly and that your data file is in good working order.
    Please perform all the steps in this document:

A problem with the active Quicken data file may cause Backup to go haywire. Or, after backup has completed, is a Sync to Mobile kicking off and hanging / not finishing?

• rdear02
    rdear02 Member ✭✭
    I do't use mobile
  • rdear02
    rdear02 Member ✭✭
    Ran troubleshooting 101 with no positive result.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rdear02 said:
    Hi @rdear02 ,

Read this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

Why? You haven't given any information save for the problem. I like helping knowing your setup, so I don't give bad information out.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• rdear02
    rdear02 Member ✭✭
    I'm not sure just what additional information you need. I have an almost new HP touch screen desktop. I am backing up to a Pony 3gb stick. Not sure what the internet connection has to do with anything. I am not backing up to on-line Quicken only to a stick plugged onto my computer. However, I connect to the internet over a Viasat satellite link. It is the only connection I can get and it runs at about 40mb most of the time.
    Now, do you really have anything constructive to offer or is all of this just superfluous information?
  • Cactussun
    Cactussun Member ✭✭
    Go to Windows Explorer. Copy the Quicken .qdf file. Paste to the stick.

Done.
  • thecreator
    Hi @rdear02 ,

Ex: 

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 18362.295
    Quicken 2019 Home & Business R21.16
    USA

Have you tried to back up to a different partition or to the Desktop, in order to see if the Backup works to a different location other than backing up to the stick?

• thecreator
    Cactussun said:
    Go to Windows Explorer. Copy the Quicken .qdf file. Paste to the stick.

Done.
    Hi @Cactussun ,

That does not work, because Quicken can't restore from the stick, if copied in that method.

• rdear02
    rdear02 Member ✭✭
    I haven't tried backing up to the desktop Will try that later today. I am on Quicken 2020 with the latest update. I did run QW27.1.24.11MPatch to no avail.
  • Cactussun
    Cactussun Member ✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > (Quote)
    > Hi @Cactussun ,
    >
    > That does not work, because Quicken can't restore from the stick, if copied in that method.

It DOES work. I've been doing it that way forever.

IF you need to "restore" the file, just copy the .qdf back from the stick to the desktop folder. There's no "restore" involved.

I had a problem over ten years ago with getting my data file to save to a thumb drive. I've been using Windows Explorer ever since...and it works perfectly.

Don't understand what YOU'RE trying to accomplish or what else you think is involved in this process.
  • Cactussun
    Cactussun Member ✭✭
    And if you want to save multiple "backup" files of the .qdf from different days, just create different folders on the stick and paste them to the appropriate folder on the stick.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Cactussun said:
    Don't understand what YOU'RE trying to accomplish or what else you think is involved in this process.
    This discussion is about using the Quicken menu command - File --> Backup -->
    not just the concept of getting a physical backup of the QDF file -
    And for some reason, the Quicken menu command does not work for the OP -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rdear02 said:
    My file is about 160mb and I don't get the "file successfully backed up" message.
    Back to basic Q&A -
    - has it ever worked when performing the Quicken backup to a USB flash drive ?
    - if so, when did it stop working ?
    - can you manually copy files - using Windows File Explorer - to the USB flash drive ?
    - how big or small is the USB drive - how much free space -
    - what is the path to the flash drive backup .....
    Drive  [E:\quicken\QDATA-z8-2020-01-15.QDF-backup]

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just tried it to a 32GB USB flash drive ...
    It appears that Quicken must use some slightly different programming paths...
    as the backup to the external USB drive causes my Quicken background screen to switch from the normal mostly empty white framed screen - to a BLACK screen -
    Backup to local hard drive - 13 secs - white framed screen
    Backup to USB flash drive - 37 secs - black screen
    Backup to USB flash drive  via Windows copy/paste - 15 secs

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• rdear02
    rdear02 Member ✭✭
    I appreciate all of you folks offering suggestions. However, what I want is for the lady that works with Quicken to be able to tell it to back, give it the location and have it do as it is supposed to do. I don't think we ought to have to do some unusual routines to get our files backed up.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    SO..... could you answer the questions I just posted above,
    so we can get a good starting point and not get off track -
    Back to basic Q&A -
    EDIT - also updated the topic title to include - USB flash drive - vs stick -
    - has it ever worked when performing the Quicken backup to a USB flash drive ?
    is this a new or a never worked question
    - if so, when did it stop working ?
    is this related to a Quicken update, or something else - new HP computer
    - can you manually copy files - using Windows File Explorer - to the USB flash drive ?
    is this an overall USB issue - or just with the Quicken -- File --> Backup -
    - how big or small is the USB drive - how much free space -
    is the flash drive too big for Quicken to recognize, and of course, free space
    - what is the path to the flash drive backup .....
    Drive  [E:\quicken\QDATA-z8-2020-01-15.QDF-backup]
    is there something weird with the pathing to the USB drive, library, protection, etc

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Cactussun
    Cactussun Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    (Removed-Argumentative/Off-Topic)
  • Cactussun
    Cactussun Member ✭✭
    edited January 2020
    (Removed-Argumentative/Off-Topic)
  • rdear02
    rdear02 Member ✭✭
    The regular backup process has worked until recently. The computer is about 18 months old. Yes, I can copy files using explorer and the problem is only with Quicken--file--backup. I don't know what the drive address is except G:\Quicken
  • rdear02
    rdear02 Member ✭✭
    At this point it seems obvious to me that there is some kind of problem with software, either windows or Quicken. I am also really sorry I bothered this whole group with the question. It would appear to me that a lot of you know a whole lot more about the internal workings of Quicken than I do. Thanks for all your help.
  • thecreator
    Hi @rdear02 ,

Question: You did not state, if you could back up successfully to the Desktop?

Also, have you tried creating a folder on your stick, using File Explorer, called Quicken Backup, instead of just Quicken

My Mapped Hard Drive:
    Z:\Quicken Backup\Test File-2020-01-17.QDF-backup 
    Works fine.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    rdear02 said:
    At this point it seems obvious to me that there is some kind of problem with software, either windows or Quicken.  The regular backup process has worked until recently. Yes, I can copy files using explorer and the problem is only with Quicken--file--backup. I don't know what the drive address is except G:\Quicken
    Sorry we can't quite figure out the issue.... especially if it just started -
    Any idea what might have recently changed that might be causing the issue ?

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• rdear02
    rdear02 Member ✭✭
    Yes, I can backup to the desktop in about 1 minute. The file size is 2.44gb.
  • rdear02
    rdear02 Member ✭✭
    Nothing has exactly changed. I recently installed a new Linksys Velop mesh system but it seems to be working as advertised.
  • thecreator
    rdear02 said:
    Yes, I can backup to the desktop in about 1 minute. The file size is 2.44gb.

Hi @rdear02 ,

That's your problem. Your Data File is too large for the 3 GB Pony. You need a larger capacity Thumb Drive.

PNY Attache USB 2.0 Flash Drive, 16GB / BLACK / 5 PACK (P-FD16GX5ATT03-MP)

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-Attache-Flash-Drive-P-FD16GX5ATT03-MP/dp/B01M68GUP8/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=pny+thumb+drive+16gb&qid=1579283810&sr=8-3

For Example:
    Take a 2TB Hard Drive, with just one partition. Once formatted, that Hard Drive Space is now: 1.78 TB

You lose space.

Open File Explorer. Get the USB Drive in focus. See how much space is available on it when empty, when formatted.

This discussion has been closed.