In Delux 2020, how do I change a Fidelity acct to recognize cash transaction like a checking acct

The Fidelity instructions refer to a Tools>Account Lists>Edit>General Information tab with an option "Show cash in a checking account." I have not succeeded in finding the equivalent in 2020. Help?

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    You can enter them beforehand. Just make sure you use a transaction type of Payment/Deposit. That will make the other fields like Check # editable. Take a look at my example:

Answers

• John_in_NC
    Quicken for Mac does not support linked checking accounts. That is why you don't see that option. (The Fidelity instructions are for Quicken for Windows.)

Your cash transactions will be in your investment register. You can choose to show the Check# column (and other columns) to make the register appear more "checking account" if you so desire. All your cash transactions will have a Type of Payment/Deposit. 

This is certainly workable. You just won't see your cash transactions separate and listed under the Banking account grouping.
  • ricrawson064
    ricrawson064 Member ✭✭
    Very interesting. Intuit must have had a good reason for excluding this highly useful (IMHO) functionality. Is there a tutorial somewhere to guide one through a "certainly workable" workaround?
  • John_in_NC
    There is no cheat sheet or guide that I know of.

By "certainly workable," I mean that it is possible without resorting to convoluted workarounds-you simply will see the investment transactions in the same register. Bill Pay and printing checks will still work (if you utilize those features). Reconcile works the same.

FYI, Intuit no longer owns Quicken. They still handle some of the download infrastructure, but they sold off the software part of Quicken.
  • ricrawson064
    ricrawson064 Member ✭✭
    Your words DO inspire hope, however, when I attempt to, say, enter a deposit, I get an investment transaction window inviting the security name, cost, shares, etc. In the Transactions window, the "share" @ "price" show up ion the Description/Category column without option to change except as an investment. Modifying the account "Type", in the setting does not provide a remedy. Somehow, I think we're not on the same page!
  • ricrawson064
    ricrawson064 Member ✭✭
    Ah, I think I'm getting the drill. Quicken will show me the transactions from Fidelity after they have occurred. Then I can manually change the category, memo, etc. It doesn't do to try to anticipate and enter the details of a transaction, such as a check deposit. I'll have to see if this is sufficient.
  • John_in_NC
    Answer ✓
    You can enter them beforehand. Just make sure you use a transaction type of Payment/Deposit. That will make the other fields like Check # editable. Take a look at my example:

• ricrawson064
    ricrawson064 Member ✭✭
    Thanks, John!
This discussion has been closed.