Transactions not saved on exit & backup and restore not working

I entered a number of transactions the last few days exit the program, come back the next day and the transactions are gone. Further I discover that automatic backup isn't working, or restore. Then I attempt a manual backup (file / backup and restore / backup, and I get no dialog box as depicted in the video: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Very frustrating for a program I'm trying to get started with. Any suggestions appreciated.

Comments

• NoPlanB
    NoPlanB Member
    BTW, Quicken version is: 27.1.24.11
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup? Are you syncing to the Quicken Cloud?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NoPlanB
    NoPlanB Member
    C:\Users\Dan\Documents\Quicken\Objibway.QDF

I saw a previous discussion re Windows Defender, but couldn't figure out how to find "controlled access"

I'm not syncing to Onedrive, Dropbox, Google or as far as I know the quicken cloud.
  • NoPlanB
    NoPlanB Member
    Ok, I found my "Controlled Folder Access" and it is turned on.
  • NoPlanB
    NoPlanB Member
    Ok, I added "qw.exe" to allowed.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    When you enter transactions into Quicken, they are written to the file immediately. You don't "save" your Quicken data file. Are you sure you're opening the latest Quicken data file?
  • NoPlanB
    NoPlanB Member
    Ok, I added "qw.exe" to allowed.

I don't think data was being written at all. My last data file had a 1/9/2020 date.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Try entering 1 transaction, exiting Quicken and then checking the date of the file.
  • NoPlanB
    NoPlanB Member
    That worked - problems solved.

Thanks!!! Have a great weekend.
This discussion has been closed.