After recent update, NOTES no longer remembered for next payment to same payees

Starting today...my Notes are no longer from a previous payment to the same payee(s) on Mac version 5.14.1
Can I change something to get that feature back?

Best Answers

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    (Please don't shoot the messenger)

The lack of memos/notes, tags, etc. not being QuickFilled anymore was supposedly because the majority of users didn't want that. (I didn't use an exact quote, but that is basically what the Project Manager stated.)

Indeed, using a scheduled transaction (such as for your light bill) or setting up a Quick Fill Rule will retain those value, But, I do agree that having it QuickFill last used transaction for everyday transactions would avoid that rigmarole. 

Answers

• Bill VanLoh
    Bill VanLoh Member ✭✭✭
    For instance, when I begin setting up a payment to the electric power company, I normally use the same Notes from last month to label and provide extra information for each part or category from the bill. Today, when creating a new transaction to the electric company, my Notes, which used to save into the new transaction, were not there. The Notes boxes were just blank. The texts ARE still in the Notes in last month's payment to the same company, but they were not carried forward into the new transaction. Can we get that feature back please?
  • John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    (Please don't shoot the messenger)

The lack of memos/notes, tags, etc. not being QuickFilled anymore was supposedly because the majority of users didn't want that. (I didn't use an exact quote, but that is basically what the Project Manager stated.)

Indeed, using a scheduled transaction (such as for your light bill) or setting up a Quick Fill Rule will retain those value, But, I do agree that having it QuickFill last used transaction for everyday transactions would avoid that rigmarole. 
  • Bill VanLoh
    Bill VanLoh Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for the info, but that is VERY annoying. I have been using Quicken since the 90's.... and that feature is VERY helpful. Is there anyone to send my message to, to request a return of that feature?
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @Bill VanLoh Here is a link to the explanation by Marcus, the product manager. The best thing to do is post a comment in that thread (you can copy and paste your comment above) in the hope he sees it. He does say they have planned to make another option available, but it seems he doesn't see it as an urgent priority; the more people who post in that thread about wanting any other behavior for filing transactions, the more likely it will receive attention sooner.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    smayer97 said:
    Yes, all this is because QuickFill has been designed to exclude that data automatically and entries that were auto-populated therefore do not have that data in them, even if they exist in transactions.

Meanwhile, the work-around mentioned by Marcus is to manually edit the QuickFill entry, adding the missing info. Then that data is supposed to load into new transactions. See if that works for you.
    The work-around you're suggesting misses the point Bill made above. I -- and some other users -- want the option to have data from the most recent transaction auto-entered when starting to enter a new transaction, exactly as Quicken 2007 works for payees without memorized entries. Manually creating, or editing and existing, QuickFill entry will only apply never-changing static information. For instance, Bill wants the next instance of his electric bill to auto-populate with the dollar amount of his most recent bill; you can't achieve that by manually creating/editing a QuickFill transaction. Another example: I enter how many gallons of water on my water bill in the memo/notes field, and I would like to have the last bill's amount auto-fill when I enter the ext bill, so I can see how much more or less I used this time.

My hope is that the next iteration of the QuickFill feature offers users more options. Optimally, a preference could be set for each field to auto-populate as blank, blank unless there's a value in a Quickfill entry, or the value of the most recent transaction for the Payee.

Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jacobs I fully agree... I was not disagreeing. I am also looking forward to the same thing, as I already commented in a reply directly to Marcus in the thread you linked to.
    (Though I did not say it outright before, I think Quicken took a misstep on this one.)

Above, I was merely pointing out a work-around. By definition, it is not ideal, but at least provides a solution (and hopefully a temporary one) while a more complete and efficient solution gets implemented.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

This discussion has been closed.