syncing my file

I am ready to pay for Quicken for the year. I have used Quicken since it was
on a floppy disk! However, before I pay this amount I need some helpl

My file has extremely old data going back to 2005. I had tried to copy this file to include only 2019 and 2020 data I have tried to create a year- end file for the same reason and, each time the 2005 data and beyond still exist.

I am unable to sync to the cloud without getting the message 'Quicken not responding' I really need to be able to send this information to cloud I don't know if it the file being too large or if it is corrupt. I have also run the 'validate' on this file and received no errors

If these issues can't be resolved I will forced to investigate other applications
I am accustomed to your Quicken application it has features that I like and need, plus all of my accounts are set up and I would have to redo these in another application

Please help me with this. You have helped me in the past and I hope you can help me again to resolve these issues

Best Answer

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What version/release of Quicken are you currently using? From Quicken --> Help --> About Quicken
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • leishirsute
    leishirsute Member ✭✭✭✭
    My file has transactions from 1987 is about 98MB in size.
    Is all 2005 data present or only data from certain accounts?
    Year end files may still keep data like unsold investment lots and other unclosed data.

Suggestion

Deluxe R53.32., Windows 10 Pro

• I am using Year 2020 version R24.11 build 27.1.24.11. Only a few records for 2005, a few for 2009 and looks like all of 2010 and beyond. None of the accts remaining are investment related.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Most SuperUsers recommend not splitting your Quicken data file since it's nearly impossible to put back together. What type and how many accounts are you trying to sync?
  • Basically i want to sync the files to the cloud to be accessed with the mobile app. I can live with the additional data if I can only sync. I run the sync with few accounts such as checking, saving and a few credit cards. After Quicken has run for a few minutes, will receive the msg that it is no longer responding and crash. I have changed the annotation flag as suggested previously.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

Are you Syncing to Mobile/Web?
    AND do you use the Mobile app on your smartphone or the Quicken on the Web feature?

If you answer "no" to both, turn Sync off completely. You don't need it.

If yes, try to Reset Sync so that the current cloud sync file is replaced with a fresh complete copy
    Do note that a full Sync process may take many minutes to complete.

Log out of your mobile app, then do this on your desktop / laptop:

How to reset Sync to Cloud

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Under the "Mobile and Web" group to the right, if present, click the "Reset your cloud data" link and follow the instructions until it is complete.

How to turn off Sync to Cloud for the current data file

1. Go to Edit / Preferences / Quicken ID, Sync & Alerts
    2. Click the "Sign in as a different user" link immediately above the "Mobile and Web" group.
    3. Sign out, then sign back in to your Quicken account using your current (correct) Quicken ID.
    4. If the current data file was actively synced to mobile prior to signing out,  the following screen will present a "Use mobile" / "Don't use mobile" choice. Make sure you select the "Don't use mobile" option and move through the remainder of the process. 
      [Please note: The mobile sync option is the default here.]

Also see https://www.quicken.com/support/troubleshooting-quicken-mobile-companion-app
    and https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7856172/faq-common-mobile-web-sync-errors-and-solutions#latest

• Thanks i will give that a try and get back to you
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Also, I would suggest adding/syncing 1 account at a time.
  • I did as you suggested and cleared or reset my cloud. And, I selected only one account (checking). As soon as the tag 'Processing data', appears, the system crashes. If I do a 'hard halt' the display in Task Manager says 'Not Responding' or a get a message saying ' Not Responding'. I do need to sync my data because we travel and need access away from my laptop. You have any other suggestions?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    I would suggest using QCleanUI to remove Quicken and then install a fresh copy.

Using QcleanUI to resolve issues installing or uninstalling Quicken for Windows
  • Can I get the latest version from Quicken.com?
  • thanks. Will let you know.
  • Would uninstall a program in Windows 10 under the control panel do the same thing as QCleanUI
  • Greg_the_Geek
    No, QCleanUI removes things that uninstall from the Control Panel misses. When you run QCleanUI, choose All Versions.
  • I have tried everything you suggested and still the system hangs up in 'processing data'. I get a message from quicken saying that quicken is not responding. I guess it is time to look for another application and that is shame because I have been such a cheerleader for quicken. Thank you for your help
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Before giving up on Quicken, I would contact Quicken Customer Care and let them do a screen share.

http://www.quicken.com/contact-support

The other option id to use Remote Desktop software such as TeamViewer to remotely access your laptop.
  • Ray Cosner
    Ray Cosner Member ✭✭✭✭
    The first time I tried to sync my desktop Quicken to the cloud, it froze after about 3 minutes (the green sync wheel stopped moving) and Windows and Task Manager both reported Quicken was not responding.  Is that what you saw when you say it crashed?  When I saw that, I thought it had locked up.

I had something else to do, so I just walked away from the computer and left it apparently locked.  Lo and behold, when I returned 80 minutes later, the sync had come back to life on its own and run to a normal completion.  This was using the Windows subscription version running on Windows 10 Pro.

I only had this experience on the first sync.  All my subsequent syncs (now about 3 months of daily use) have completed in 1-2 minutes.  I am syncing 4 banking accounts and 7 investment accounts, from a desktop QDF file of about 85 MB.
  • I tried that and let it run for 2 hrs. I saw the transactions in my phone finally, but the totals are wrong. When I returned to my desktop, it was still showing processing data but checking my quicken ap on the phone, it looks like it completed. Thanks
This discussion has been closed.