Home Quicken for Mac Product Releases and Announcements: Mac

Quicken for Mac v5.14 Released

Comments

• smayer97smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    noramar said:
    > @John_M said:
    > I think what people were doing was having one line contain both an expense >category and a transfer, which, as Marcus says, is wrong from an accounting >perspective.

Now THAT makes sense! Never even knew you could do this on one line. But why would you want to? Of course, you know I'm going to enter a fake transaction now just to see how that works.
    "wrong" or not, QMac has had that ability intentionally designed for many years. So if this does get taken away (which is what the stated direction is), I hope that whatever this does enable one to do (presumably for reports), I would hope that it is achievable in a different way afterwards.

One benefit I can potentially see is if accounts are multi-purpose and one would want to isolate transfers for a subset of the data. I can see the benefit, if only with the use of Tags, especially for creating cashflow like reports. I have not yet seen a benefit of using a Category.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen
    ? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(
    Canadian Q user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• djbenedettidjbenedetti Member ✭✭
    > @smayer97 said:
    > @gary19 From everything I gather, it v5.14.x only affects new data since the install, either downloaded or manually entered, and does not touch existing data.
    >
    > If anyone else has a different experience, please chime in.

That's what I'm seeing as well.
  • Scooby5156Scooby5156 Member
    After setting up "tags" in autofill, with checkmark for the rule, when selecting a tag (it shows up with the new shaded oval with x for delete) and then entering the transaction, the tag disappears. Reselecting edit on transaction doesn't show a tag either. The TAG collumn in ledger has no tag. What's going on?
  • caramcaram Member ✭✭
    > @smayer97 said:
    > (Quote)
    > One benefit I can potentially see is if accounts are multi-purpose and one would want to isolate transfers for a subset of the data. I can see the benefit, if only with the use of Tags, especially for creating cashflow like reports. I have not yet seen a benefit of using a Category.

One is to precisely that it behaves like other transactions of the same category in a report, rather than being listed as an undefined category ([Transfer]) at the end of the report.

For example, I may want to isolate large purchases like a piano or a car or construction work in my home in a separate account to track its evolving value, and yet also be able to see it in reports under the correct category.

I believe this may be what they had in mind when they designed QE. I understand it may be controversial but it brings a lot of flexibility. In my opinion, tags are used for a different purpose.
  • caramcaram Member ✭✭
    > @smayer97 said:
    > (Quote)

BTW, how do you get the grey background that no one else seems able to achieve. Do you need superpowers?
  • Steve29Steve29 Member ✭✭
    edited January 24
    Count me as one of the people who wants Quickfill to fill in everything -- memo and amount. I often put in a memo which is a reminder for the next bill from the same vendor. So I want autofill to use the entire previous transaction, not edit out parts of it. I also find it confusing to see a list of options that match the text I've started to type. It's hard to tell how they differ, and some are not good matches. The first item in the list should always be the most recent match of the characters I've typed so far.
  • Steve29Steve29 Member ✭✭
    Regarding Investments and reports (not exactly 5.14, but hoping...)

I just did my taxes and the two things I'm really missing in the portfolio list are columns for "Amount Invested" and "Interest Earned." Both were available in Q2007 and both contain values that Quicken knows, but now won't show me.

Interest Earned would be helpful if, for example, you have a series of CDs. You now can't see how much each is earning -- only a grand total for all of them, which is listed as "cash" -- not very explicit.

And "Amount Invested" gives you a back-of-the-envelope, super simple sense of how much an investment has grown. Cost Basis is inflated by dividends and doesn't provide nearly the same clarity.

These are both just columns in the investment portfolio -- I don't think they represent new info that Quicken would have to calculate.
    caram said:
    > @smayer97 said:
    > (Quote)

BTW, how do you get the grey background that no one else seems able to achieve. Do you need superpowers?
    I don't believe so. I have been wondering the same thing. Not sure why it is different for some.
    Have Questions? Check out these FAQs:COMPLETE list of Product Ideas - Quicken for Mac to VOTE on

? Add your vote here:

(

• Just LurkingJust Lurking Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 25
    smayer97 said:
    caram said:
    > @smayer97 said:
    > (Quote)

I don't believe so. I have been wondering the same thing. Not sure why it is different for some.
    @Caram I can answer this as I just went through it. You need a certain number of "points" before the HTML editor (which provides the nice quoting ability, ability to paste images inline, etc.) Right now you have 15 points, and you need 51.

I'm guessing it's an anti-spam measure, although it is unusually strict, IMHO. Here are the different ranks:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849424/introducing-community-ranks

And here are the different things you can do to earn points. Uploading a profile pic is an easy 10 points, for example:
    https://community.quicken.com/badges
  • JayWJayW Member ✭✭
    Have OS X 10.11.6 Mac El Capitan. Just Updated to version 5.14.2 and having new problems with the drop down selection boxes flashing. Also now unable to double click to open items most of the time. This update isn't working well for my setup.
  • Jeff BJeff B Member ✭✭
    Desperately trying to revert to an older version of Quicken until "Memo" and "Amount" is restored to Quickfill functionality. Otherwise I have to manually enter account numbers and customer info with every check I write.
  • danloehrdanloehr Member ✭✭
    I had to do the same thing. To revert to an older version of Quicken:

Find the previous version of the Quicken application. It will probably be in the Trash, moved there automatically from the backup.

Find a data backup you want to restore from. Or find the backup Quicken automatically made just before it upgraded. It'll have "Pre-Update" in the name. Mine was in: Macintosh HD : Users : <username> : Library : Application Support : Quicken : Backups : Automatic Backups.

Move your current Quicken application out of the Applications folder.

Move your previous Quicken application (that you e.g. rescued from the Trash) into the Applications folder.

Launch the (previous) Quicken application which is now in the Application folder. (Note if you had a Quicken icon in the dock, it might complain it can't find the application it was pointing to, but you can set a new icon in the dock to point to the correct application)

When prompted, choose your data backup, and tell Quicken to convert it. (I can't remember the exact details of this). (Even though the backup file has the extension .quickenbackup, which might not be in the list of approved extensions, Quicken can still restore from that backup.)

Then you should be back to where you were before the upgrade. And then just decline upgrading to 5.14 every time it asks, to avoid the new QuickFill functionality.
  • Jeff BJeff B Member ✭✭
    edited January 25
    Thanks DanLoehr, tried other methods that so far haven't worked, including restoring the old pre-subscription Quicken 2017 application. Going to tackle your method now.. ... success ! Just have to renter transactions made earlier today. Minor PIA. In Quicken 2007 we could import transactions, but can't find that feature in Quicken 2019..
    Jeff B said:
    Thanks DanLoehr, tried other methods that so far haven't worked, including restoring the old pre-subscription Quicken 2017 application. Going to tackle your method now.. ... success ! Just have to renter transactions made earlier today. Minor PIA. In Quicken 2007 we could import transactions, but can't find that feature in Quicken 2019..
    There currently is no selective export/import feature in QMac. You can add your VOTE to Add Ability to Select Content of QXF File for Export.

First, click on the underlined link above to go there, then click the little grey triangle under the VOTE count at the top of page 1 in the blue banner, so your vote will count for THIS feature and increase its visibility to the developers by seeking to have the features you need or desire end up in the latest version (it may take a moment for your vote to register).

Your VOTES matter!

? Add your vote here:

(

• MN DannyMN Danny Member ✭✭
    I've used Quicken for ever on Windows and Mac. The ability to remember transactions including memo and amount has always been huge for me. This includes deposits that default to a positive transaction. This change has been brutal, wish it could be turned off
  • Night_OwlNight_Owl Member
    I noticed a behavior that I think is confusing/should be fixed. If you mark a transaction as a Transfer, then a subsequent transaction under the same Payee is then automatically marked at as a Transfer the next time (expected). But, if you change the category for the second transaction to a normal Category (Travel, for example), the field "Transfer to" doesn't get cleared under the Get Info screen. What this causes is legitimate, non-transfer transactions missing from any reports that don't include transfers. The behavior is hard to troubleshoot since the category is no longer Transfer, so it doesn't make sense to an end user why the transactions don't populate.
    Night_Owl said:
    I noticed a behavior that I think is confusing/should be fixed. If you mark a transaction as a Transfer, then a subsequent transaction under the same Payee is then automatically marked at as a Transfer the next time (expected). But, if you change the category for the second transaction to a normal Category (Travel, for example), the field "Transfer to" doesn't get cleared under the Get Info screen. What this causes is legitimate, non-transfer transactions missing from any reports that don't include transfers. The behavior is hard to troubleshoot since the category is no longer Transfer, so it doesn't make sense to an end user why the transactions don't populate.
    Yes, I have brought this up long ago in Beta when the ability to enter a transfer in the category field (without having the Transfer field visible) was first introduced. Quicken needs to address this to provide better management of the Transfer field. This is especially problematic when the Transfer field is not visible; whereby the user is then forced to make the field visible just to make a change; the obvious problem is they are unlikely to even be aware that a change is even necessary.

Instead, I propose something like there being a dialogue box that pops up when the Transfer field is filled and the category field is being changed, to ask if the Transfer field should be cleared, with 2 options: one option leaves it alone, the other clears it.

? Add your vote here:

(

@smayer97 said:
    I noticed a behavior that I think is confusing/should be fixed. ...if you change the category for the second transaction to a normal Category (Travel, for example), the field "Transfer to" doesn't get cleared under the Get Info screen. What this causes is legitimate, non-transfer transactions missing from any reports that don't include transfers.
    Yes, I have brought this up long ago in Beta when the ability to enter a transfer in the category field (without having the Transfer field visible) was first introduced.

Quicken needs to address this to provide better management of the Transfer field...

Instead, I propose something like there being a dialogue box that pops up...
    I've also raised extremely confusing issues with transactions being categorized as transfers but without being able to tell, unless you happen to have the transfer column turned on in the register (or you check the get info screen).

The answer IMHO is not new functionality to manage the transfer field, the answer is to get RID of the transfer field and list transfers exclusively in the category field. It seems that or something similar may happen later this year. Quicken Marcus discussed it earlier in this thread:

Our leadership team has decided that categories on transfers violates core accounting principals that our products should be based on and we are slowly removing this functionality from the Mac...

We're now working on improving Transfer and mortgage payment support in budgets.  Once this is complete, we will start the process of removing the ability to add a category to a transfer.

• jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just Lurking said:
    The answer IMHO is not new functionality to manage the transfer field, the answer is to get RID of the transfer field and list transfers exclusively in the category field. It seems that or something similar may happen later this year. Quicken Marcus discussed it earlier in this thread:
    No, I don't think he's suggesting they plan to get rid of the Transfer field; they plan to get rid of the ability to have a transfer accounting the Transfer field and also have an income/expense category int he Category field. Quicken Mac 2007 didn't allow it, and Quicken Windows doesn't allow it, so I think they'll be bringing Quicken Mac into agreement with past Quicken Mac and current Quicken Windows (and proper accounting).

You can now, and presumably will be able to going forward, hide the Transfer column in your register, and see transfers in the Category column if you wish.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
    jacobs said:
    Just Lurking said:
    No, I don't think he's suggesting they plan to get rid of the Transfer field; they plan to get rid of the ability to have a transfer accounting the Transfer field and also have an income/expense category int he Category field. Quicken Mac 2007 didn't allow it, and Quicken Windows doesn't allow it, so I think they'll be bringing Quicken Mac into agreement with past Quicken Mac and current Quicken Windows (and proper accounting).

You can now, and presumably will be able to going forward, hide the Transfer column in your register, and see transfers in the Category column if you wish.
    Except sometimes seeing transfers in the Category column doesn't work, as it continues to display the old Category instead. Might be a bug but has occurred for last several releases.

IMHO there's no point of having a transfer field if the ability to categorize transactions is removed. The category in this case is a transfer. Having a separate transfer field is duplicative, but I suppose I could see them choosing to keep it for those who are used to seeing it in a separate column.
  • jacobsjacobs SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Just Lurking You are correct that currently, there are still cases where a user might have a transfer which has an actual expense or income category, because Quicken Mac allowed this in the past. The post from Marcus indicates they are working their way through a multi-step process of adding functionality t reports and budgets so that they can in the future close the loophole and prevent transfers from having categories.

As for whether a transfer shows up in its own column, in the category column, or both is purely a user experience issue. Quicken Mac was designed to show transfers in a separate column, but they added the ability to see and enter transfers via the category field at the request of Quicken 2007 users who were used to it and users who wanted to hide the extra columns to preserve screen space. as a longtime Quicken Mac user, I prefer seeing the transfers in a separate column because I find it easier to see when scrolling through transactions. But I'm fine with having the transfer account in the category field for those who prefer that. It doesn't change the functionality of accounting and reporting; it's just a user interface preference.
    QMac 2007 & QMac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • CruiserchrisCruiserchris Member ✭✭
    For me at least, the implementation of the new QuickFill feature has resulted in serious loss of functionality. I enter all transactions manually. Previously, when I entered a previous payee name, all fields were populated with information from a previous transaction for that payee (usually, but not always the last such transaction). Mostly, all I had to do was enter a different amount and I was done. Now I have to reenter information in most fields instead of simply editing as necessary. Most annoying, is that I have to reenter tags for all rows in split transactions. For the new set up, the checkbox for creating a QuickFill item should be available when entering any new transaction not just when editing a category.
  • Bill VanLohBill VanLoh Member ✭✭
    Please bring back the feature which saved text information in the NOTES box for the next transaction to the same payee. It disappeared with the Quicken 5.14 update.
    This was a very important method for record-keeping. I repeat, please bring NOTES info being saved from a previous transaction to the same payee.
  • Bill VanLohBill VanLoh Member ✭✭
    edited January 27
    (Removed-Duplicate)
  • michaelweinbergmichaelweinberg Member ✭✭
    Based on the comments in this topic, I've not installed the 5.14 update. Any recommendations on whether I should continue to wait or go ahead and update?
  • RickORickO SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    For me at least, the implementation of the new QuickFill feature has resulted in serious loss of functionality. I enter all transactions manually. Previously, when I entered a previous payee name, all fields were populated with information from a previous transaction for that payee (usually, but not always the last such transaction). Mostly, all I had to do was enter a different amount and I was done. Now I have to reenter information in most fields instead of simply editing as necessary. Most annoying, is that I have to reenter tags for all rows in split transactions. For the new set up, the checkbox for creating a QuickFill item should be available when entering any new transaction not just when editing a category.
    @Cruiserchris  If you go to the Payee in the Payees window, you can edit the QuickFill transaction for that payee so that it includes filled-in Tag, Memo, Check# and Amount. You can also add splits if you desire. This information will then be used going forward. It will function much as before, with the difference being that it will not update each time you enter changed info for the payee. However, you can add multiple QuickFill entries for the payee with different sets of data, then easily select from the popup menu which one you want. Yes, it does take additional setup for each payee the first time you re-use one. However, there are advantages to be had.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • ConcordmanConcordman Member ✭✭✭✭
    @RickO, this is what I have determined is the way to go as well, I wind up with several Quickfills for a particular vendor, ex with AMAZON.Com, I purchase many different items & if I require the Quickfill to replicate particular type transactions will need to set up appropriate Quickfills to cover the issue
  • Brad MarchandBrad Marchand Member ✭✭
    Hi....Struggling with the new & improved QuickFill. I've been a Quicken user for well over 25 years and each time Quicken is updated it seems to open a new set of issues. I long for the day when improvements don't require me to learn a whole new way of doing things just make them easier......

I am looking for Quicken for Mac to remember my previous transaction quick fill info such as my "Action" setting. If I want to enter a debit transaction for a Costco purchase I now find that I have to enter "Debit" manually each time. the same with other fields such as Memo & Category, Any thoughts about this?
  • beearabeeara Member
    I can't get my accounts to update. This was happening before the update of 5.14 but it still is the case. In the past at least I could deactivate and then reactivate. This time, tried it twice and it still won't work.