Any suggestions on how to enter Apple Card purchases as notes only.

Has anybody come up with a way to add a purchase with an Apple Card, at all, or without it becoming a double entry when paying the bill with a credit card?

Best Answers

• d.gerety.
    d.gerety. Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Brilliant. I learned something new! Many thanks.

Answers

• d.gerety.
    d.gerety. Member ✭✭
    Well, that's just the problem. The Apple Card does not operate like any other credit card. There is no Quicken listing for it, only Apple Bank, which is an entirely different animal. So I'm just entering transactions in my general bank account with the store name and the amount in the notes column.
  • d.gerety.
    d.gerety. Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Brilliant. I learned something new! Many thanks.
  • Is anyone else getting the cash back showing up as a charge when they download the statement in Quicken? Am I missing something? Thanks.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @carolyn smith How, exactly, are you downloading your Apple Card data? I didn't think they had download capability for Quicken yet.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • d.gerety.
    d.gerety. Member ✭✭
    I'd like to know that as well. There isn't an Apple Card listed in Accounts, only Apple Bank and Goldman Sachs. Are you really downloading an Apple Card statement to Quicken?
  • ats@
    ats@ Member ✭✭
    Apple just added the ability to export an OFX file from the statements on the phone. However, I can't seem to get Quicken to import it. I get an alert "Unable to read the selected Web Connect file."
  • ats@
    ats@ Member ✭✭
    Console is giving me "OFX parsing failed Missing bid data"
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    ats@ said:
    Console is giving me "OFX parsing failed Missing bid data"

And that's where the fly is in the ointment.
    Until Apple and Intuit / Quicken get together and
    • make a contract
    • assign a bank ID to the Apple Card
    • update the list of supported banks with the new entry and distribute this updated list to all Quicken users
    • and finally Apple updates their programming to include the bank ID (BID number) in the QFX file in the correct place
    I'm afraid you won't be able to import anything.
  • jacobs
    I’m still curious about @“Carolyn Smith” posting above about importing data, which shouldn’t be possible at this time as @UKR explained.

And to be clear it’s Apple that would have to sign on as a Quicken participant; there is nothing Quicken can do to make that happen. (And since Apple often does things it’s own way, there’s no certainty whether they will. Apple Card users need to continue to press Apple to extend support to Quicken users.)
  • Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    jacobs said:
    I’m still curious about @“Carolyn Smith” posting above about importing data, which shouldn’t be possible at this time as @UKR explained.

I think she is referring to the new OFX statement export in AppleCard. I see Qmac has an OFX import option. Qwin doesn't. I also get the unable to read file error in Qmac when I tried it.

https://www.macrumors.com/2020/02/05/apple-card-ofx-exporting-coming-soon

http://www.iphonehacks.com/2020/02/apple-card-ofx-export-option-coming-soon.html

• ats@
    ats@ Member ✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > (Quote)
    > And that's where the fly is in the ointment.
    > Until Apple and Intuit / Quicken get together and
    > * make a contract

I hadn't realized that Quicken added arbitrary charges to companies to allow importing a standard file format. I thought I was a customer when I paid them.

http://www.digital501.com/2006022124/hack-quicken-osx-qfx/
  • jacobs
    ats@ said:
    I hadn't realized that Quicken added arbitrary charges to companies to allow importing a standard file format. I thought I was a customer when I paid them.
    No one mentioned "arbitrary charges," so I'm not where you're getting that from. And don't believe everything you read online, specially from disgruntled users. ;) Many of the 14,000+ financial institutions Quicken supports actually pay no fee to Quicken or Intuit. Some do, depending on the types of connectivity they offer. Those fees have been part of Intuit's financial model for this software for a very long time; had they eliminated it, they would have presumably charged consumers more for the software.

That said, my understanding is that importing files downloaded transactions from a QFX does NOT require payment of any fee. (That's from someone at Quicken, not a random website.) But the financial institution still needs to sign on with Quicken, and provide files in the format Quicken requires. If your financial institution doesn't provide files in a format Quicken can work with, your complain should be directed to your financial institution, not Quicken. Just because you paid Quicken for their software doesn't guarantee you connectivity with every financial institution, whether you believe it should or not. (And yes, there are ways to hack an OFX file into a QFX file if you want to mess with it. But if you do, and it doesn't work, you can't then expect support from Quicken.)
This discussion has been closed.