how to get rid of exclamation point by budget?

Ricky@
Ricky@ Member ✭✭✭
How to get rid of exclamation point by budget shown in picture. I am in Jan 2020 so things are not that complicated. Even if I set all my budget categories more than what I have spent so far in January the annoying exclamation point and message is there.
0006.jpg 137.9K

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are there any categories included in the budget that are over (review the Budget Status column in the Graph view)?
  • Ricky@
    Ricky@ Member ✭✭✭
    No, everything is green in Graph view, and under budget (expense categories) or over budget (income categories)
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    I tried to recreate the issue in my test file but could not.  Was thinking that some combination of income v expense (as you described) might trigger the over-budget category message....no luck.

Did you try to do a "validate" on your file?  File>File Operations>Validate and Repair....the check "Validate File".   Be sure to backup before hand.
  • Ricky@
    Ricky@ Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for your suggestion. I have gone through the validate file and still the exclamation point.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Ricky@

Thank you for giving those steps a try, although I apologize that the issue persists.

May I ask, if you open the budget and choose Budget Actions> Duplicate Budget.

Does the duplicate budget still show the exclamation mark?

Let me know how it goes!

- Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Ricky@
    Ricky@ Member ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Thank you Tyka. I tried the duplicate budget as you suggest. Unfortunately, it too has the same problem with the exclamation point. Every category is green in graph view but still the exclamation point.

However,

In the graph view, all bars are green, but when I held the cursor on the green bar at the top of the window for the whole budget it gave an exclamation point saying 5 categories are over budget for a total of 1 dollar. I had several budget categories at which spending directly equaled spending with 0 left over. I increased the budget amounts for those 0-dollars-left categories and the exclamation point went away and a check appeared.

Yea!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Ricky@

Thank you for giving that step a try, although I apologize that the issue continues to persist.

May I ask that you navigate to the budget, select "Manage Categories" uncheck all of the categories being used and select ok to save the budget.

Please, then navigate back to "Manage Categories" and select the categories once more.

Please let me know if the trouble persists after completing this step!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Ricky@
    Ricky@ Member ✭✭✭
    If I do as you suggest, I assume I will have to re-budget all the categories, correct?
  • Scooterlam
    Scooterlam SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Ricky@ said:
    If I do as you suggest, I assume I will have to re-budget all the categories, correct?
    Pretty sure that would be the case.  Alternatively, you could 1.  take screen grabs of the budget for history, 2. backup your file and 3. deselect one category at a time and see which one, if any, might clear the issue.    Might narrow down which category is giving you issues.

Another thought before you deselect categories....have you run a "Current Budget" report to  see if you can spot a discrepancy on either budget or actuals column?  Be sure to verify that the same accounts and categories are selected for the report.
  • Ricky@
    Ricky@ Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks for suggesting the current budget report. Didn't realize that was there. However, the comparison of the budget report for Jan 2020 with the budget was not encouraging. Consider the categories below for Kayley. The actuals of the budget match the report but the budgeted amounts do not. The budget amounts are round numbers but the report shows them as different. For example the budget for misc is $25 but the report shows it as 21.77. Similarly for the budget amounts in all categories. Ugh.
This discussion has been closed.