Starting Quicken

jtmiers
jtmiers Member ✭✭
I am running Quicken 2020 Build 27.1.24.11. I am unable to start Quicken by clicking on the desktop icon. It attempts to load the data file, then hangs and I am forced to shut down the process. I am however able to start Quicken and load the data file by holding down Ctrl+Shift and launching Quicken. This allows me to load the data file and work normally. Any idea why this would be?

Best Answer

• jtmiers
    jtmiers Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The fix appears to be to check "Run as Administrator" on the Quicken shortcut. It must have to do with they way my laptop is setup with file permissions.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What happens if you find the data file in Windows Explorer and double-click on it there?
    Also, where is the data file located and what is its name?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • jtmiers
    jtmiers Member ✭✭
    Double clicking the file in Windows Explorer results in the same behavior where it hangs up and doesn't load. I store the file in a personal folder. It's named Miers10.qdf.

I use OneDrive and DropBox, but not for Quicken. Can't tell on Controlled Folder Access - it's a policy that's locked my the administrator for my company.

Ctrl-Shift appears to be the only way to open the file. What does Ctrl+Shift do that the other methods don't?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Actually, it's just the Ctrl key. Pressing the Ctrl key while starting Quicken tells Quicken not to open a data file. What is the full path to your data file?
  • jtmiers
    jtmiers Member ✭✭
    Interestingly, it only works with Ctrl-Shift and not just Ctrl. File path is - C:\Users\jeffrey.t.miers\Documents\Data\Personal\quicken data\current.

When I use Ctrl+Shift it appears to run as Administrator, which may have something to do with it.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Have you checked the owner/permissions on your Quicken folder and data file? Have you tried moving your data file to C:\Users\jeffrey.t.miers\Documents\Quicken?
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Could there possibly be a space in the file's name immediately before the "."?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• jtmiers
    jtmiers Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    The fix appears to be to check "Run as Administrator" on the Quicken shortcut. It must have to do with they way my laptop is setup with file permissions.
This discussion has been closed.