how do I leave "category" blank in downloaded cc transactions?

How do I get my cc transactions to leave the category blank?

Answers

• oldngrmpy1
    oldngrmpy1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    First you need to memorized each Payee to the "Memorized Payee List", then go to that Payee on the list, right click on that payee, then select "do not categorize..." on the dropdown list.
  • Beijing Mac
    Beijing Mac Member ✭✭✭✭
    just leave the field blank and accept the download.  
  • Robyn
    Robyn Member ✭✭
    > @TJ102 said:
    > First you need to memorized each Payee to the "Memorized Payee List", then go to that Payee on the list, right click on that payee, then select "do not categorize..." on the dropdown list.

I did what you said. Memorized all the common payees, then coded them all as "do not categorize". But they still do! This is in a Quicken file that I created a few months ago to run my cousin's finances. He lives with me, and is now in an extended illness. He gave me permission to run his finances. I created the Quicken file. His finances are very simple - one credit card and one bank account, Both are with Chase.

I have experience with Chase downloads, because one of my own credit cards is with Chase. I have always preferred to manually enter transactions, but I "download" from Chase. I don't do it through Quicken. I prefer to open the Chase website and do it from there. Quicken accepts the downloads and tells me they are matches to what's already in the register. I accept the entries and Quicken simply clears the existing transactions.

Of course I expected the same to happen in the Quicken account I created for my cousin. It does, except that Quicken then enters category codes for each item, even though I coded it not to. I am using almost no codes in my cousin's Quicken file with its simple two accounts. There's no need for them except with rare tax-related items such as medical. (Even that's not really needed, as he will never have either the income or the expenses to justify an itemized tax return.)

Chase itself categorizes transactions into such, to me worthless, categories as "Shopping", and it is those categories that are downloading into Quicken. So it seems likes it's originating with Chase, and overriding my instruction to Quicken to not categorize. Except that - when downloading from my OWN Chase account, into Quicken, no such categories appear. In my Quicken account, I do enter categories, but there are occasional times when I forget to enter a transaction, so instead of matching one that's already there, Quicken picks up a new transaction when I download from Chase. Even in such cases, Quicken does not add a category. It leaves that field blank, and I put in the category. In the case of my cousin's file, since ALL the transactions are being categorized against my instruction, I go through them all and DELETE the categories.

Sorry this was so long. I didn't know how else to explain it. Any help will be most appreciated.
  • Quicken_Natalie
    Quicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello Robyn,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and post your issue, however, this is an older post and is less likely to get an answer.

I suggest creating a new post for better visibility.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849429/how-to-add-a-post-to-the-community

Be sure to include a description of the issue, along with any error messages, as well as the version/release of Quicken that you're using.

The more information you can provide will help the Community to better understand and as-sist.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

This discussion has been closed.