Home Before you Buy

Why can't I upload bank info - or why does Quicken cost so much

l.lesperancel.lesperance Member ✭✭
edited February 4 in Before you Buy
Why is it I manually download bank info and I cannot upload to quicken from my computer I could on my older version. It is on my hard drive why do I need to renew a $100 subscription every year before I can do that. I don't see any point in stopping people from doing manual downloads all the other option I can see not being available for online use. And yes I have seen people post oh there are cheaper versions on Amazon, But those are not the ones I need.

Comments

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It is all part of Quicken's business model.  They have to provide technical support the financial institutions in their ability to make those downloads available which costs money, so there is a time limit in the subscription.  Nothing is free any more.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Why is it I manually download bank info and I can not upload to quicken from my computer I could on my older version.
    What version do you have .... Help --> About Quicken
    So, to clarify... you are manually downloading transactions from your bank,
    and then Importing into Quicken the QFX file you just downloaded ?
    And, on the flip side - what do you mean about .... "can not upload"

Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • l.lesperancel.lesperance Member ✭✭
    edited February 4
    I have 2019. I think that is [removed - profanity], because the banks also pay a fee to use that service.
    > @splasher said:
    > It is all part of Quicken's business model.  They have to provide technical support the financial institutions in their ability to make those downloads available which costs money, so there is a time limit in the subscription.  Nothing is free any more.

So what that tells me is lets screw the little guy out of more money.
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you take raw food into a restaurant and expect them to cook it for free because you bought a few meals from them in the past?
    It is your choice to decide if the cost of Quicken is worth the time and effort that it saves you.  Only you can make that decision.  Trust me, Quicken will not be changing this part of their business model.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4
    Still didn't actually answer my questions posted above - but I guess your real discussion is not about downloading or uploading issues - but rather the newly installed subscription model and the cost involved.
    EDIT - updating topic title to include the cost issue
    Several other software companies have gone to the "subscription" model vs buy it once and it runs forever...  For me personally, Quicken and TurboTax are my 2 financial products that I will gladly purchase every year to handle all my finances.  Everyone has a different viewpoint - and cost vs benefit -
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 4
    When you buy the software Quicken gives you a license to own it forever.  You can manually enter and edit your financial data in it for as long as you want without restrictions because you own the software and the data in your file.
    But Online Services is not part of the software license.  It is a separate service offered by Quicken that allows your software to communicate with your financial institutions via their proprietary service and you are paying them a fee to allow you to do that for a specified period of time.  If you want Quicken to allow you to continue do that after this limited-time license expires you will need to pay them to extend it.  (BTW, the financial institutions also pay a license fee to Quicken to use their service so it is not free for them either.)
    It has always been this way with Quicken.  The only thing that's really changed is that the term of this service license has been reduced from 3 years to 1-2 years (depending on which subscription you sign up for).
    Think of it another way:  You can sign up for a free investment account with any number of brokerage firms.  It remains free for as long as you manage your investments yourself.  But, if you want the brokerage firm to manage your investments for you, you will need to pay for their service.  Or, you own your smart phone and everything on it so you can use it as a calculator, address book, even play some games on it and take and save pictures on it for free as long as you have the phone but if you want services that wireless and the Internet have to offer you will need to pay your service provider for that.
    So, you can either buy a new subscription to get the full benefit of Quicken or continue to use your older software and manually enter your financial data.  The choice is yours.
    BTW, I'm assuming you want the Home & Business version based on what you said in your post.  You can buy a download of a 14-month subscription (includes 2 free months) for $60 on Amazon right now...not the $100 you mentioned.
    (QW Premier R25.21 on Windows 10)
    If my reply has helped you resolve an issue, please "Like" it so others may know it might help them, too.
    Sorry but I was on Amazon and everyone I found was $90+ I think this is bs. I have been using Quicken for years and the way that had it was a lot better. because every 2 years I would upgrade the program and have no problems. They took something that worked great and screwed it up. I guess I am going to have to look at another system that doesn't screw you every year.
    > @splasher said:
    > Can you take raw food into a restaurant and expect them to cook it for free because you bought a few meals from them in the past?
    > It is your choice to decide if the cost of Quicken is worth the time and effort that it saves you.  Only you can make that decision.  Trust me, Quicken will not be changing this part of their business model.

What does this have to do with raw food and restaurants?

The way that had the system worked great. you would get 2 - 3 yrs out of the program then you would upgrade after that. this subscription crap is the stupidest thing ever. So whats next they give you a 30 day subscription for turbo tax after that your screwed.
This discussion has been closed.