A(nother) Premier vs. Deluxe purchase question

I am Quicken 2017 Premier user and am planning to move to the subscription model.  I have determined that I don't really need the Premier features, for the most part, but am a little hung up on the capital gains/cost basis front.  Quicken's marketing materials don't make things clear to me.  I get that Premier can generate a Schedule D, but that does mean that Deluxe does not track cost basis and enable realized gain and loss reporting.   

If you are a Deluxe user, do you get a portfolio view with this much lot granularity?

Quicken for Windows subscription.  Quicken user since 1990.   

Best Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    "but that does mean that Deluxe does not track cost basis and enable realized gain and loss reporting. "

It does NOT mean that.  Deluxe does track cost basis and does compute capital gains and losses.  It will produce the same Cap Gains report Premier produces but will not produce the Schedule D report (or other Schedules A and B ) that Premier produces.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I use Deluxe for tracking everything - it DOES track all investment transactions, and will display that info....  However, it appears that Premier has more "reporting" aspects, such as the X-ray and tax "forms".... but even Deluxe has the Tax Planner tab which shows you all the info, just doesn't create the pretty forms...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

Answers

• q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020 Answer ✓
    "but that does mean that Deluxe does not track cost basis and enable realized gain and loss reporting. "

It does NOT mean that.  Deluxe does track cost basis and does compute capital gains and losses.  It will produce the same Cap Gains report Premier produces but will not produce the Schedule D report (or other Schedules A and B ) that Premier produces.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I use Deluxe for tracking everything - it DOES track all investment transactions, and will display that info....  However, it appears that Premier has more "reporting" aspects, such as the X-ray and tax "forms".... but even Deluxe has the Tax Planner tab which shows you all the info, just doesn't create the pretty forms...

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Maikeer
    Maikeer Member ✭✭✭
    Perfect, thanks folks!  I will likely try Deluxe for a year.

Quicken for Windows subscription.  Quicken user since 1990.   
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maikeer said:
    Perfect, thanks folks!  I will likely try Deluxe for a year.
    If not... you can always use the Quicken "upgrade" button to pay for & get Premiere

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.