Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Internet Explorer

WHY is Quicken still using Internet Explorer? I am on Quicken 2017. It has been updated numerous times since initial release.

And yet, help and error windows still open in the wildly insecure IE 11, certainly not a good thing for a financial app. According to the Help dropdown on Quicken error windows in the browser, the IE browser was last updated in 2015, 5 long internet years ago. Sad!

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    joecomm said:
    WHY is Quicken still using Internet Explorer?
    Because the hooks they have put in are too numerous and time consuming to update for no added value. The browser should only be used to access Quicken web addresses and not to access banks. There are far better browsers available to you.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 20H2
  • joecomm
    joecomm Member ✭✭
    Of course but it isn't what "I" am accessing. It's easier for a hacker to compromise IE than more modern browsers. Once the browser is hacked, it can do it's damage anytime it is executed. Has nothing to do with where the user goes or does with it.

The new owners of Quicken should have fixed this but maybe it isn't important to them if, like every other private equity company, their ultimate intent is to bleed whatever Quicken assets dry that they can before dumping the product?
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    You are using a version of Quicken that was introduced 4 years ago and is about to go out of support. As far as I can see Quicken subscription doesn't pull up any web pages in Internet Explorer (Note I'm also on Windows 10 and don't even have Internet Explorer installed).
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    (Note I'm also on Windows 10 and don't even have Internet Explorer installed).

FWIW, Internet Explorer is still a part of Windows 10. Type Internet Explorer into the Windows 10 search box.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    (Note I'm also on Windows 10 and don't even have Internet Explorer installed).

FWIW, Internet Explorer is still a part of Windows 10. Type Internet Explorer into the Windows 10 search box.

When my wife is using my desktop computer to get to her employer's Medical Records website, so that she can input information about her patients (she's an NP), she MUST use IE.  That screwy website doesn't work properly with any other browser.  We've tried FF and Chrome, and neither worked.
    I'm running Win10 also.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Greg_the_Geek said:
    > (Quote)
    > FWIW, Internet Explorer is still a part of Windows 10. Type Internet Explorer into the Windows 10 search box.

See the enclosed screenshot of my search.
    Right click Start -> Apps and Features -> Optional Features -> Internet Explorer 11 -> Uninstall

That will get rid of the "GUI part" of Internet Explorer. You will not see IE "as a program/window" again.

But Greg, I do agree IE isn't really "gone". The "libraries" that are the back end of IE are still there and for sure at least some of them are being used to make internet connections and such.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
This discussion has been closed.