About my credit card account

Options
All of a sudden, 12/6/19, when I enter a charge it deducts it from the account and when I enter a payment it adds it to the balance. Why

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Because that is precisely what should happen.  Perhaps you only just noticed the correct behavior because you have made an overpayment or received a refund in the register.

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Your running balance should be in "red" for a credit card since it is rare for them to owe you money.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• kib1424Melody
    Options
    Apparently I did not word this correctly. Let me try again.
    I have a balance of $10, then I charge $5. My new balance should be $15. Instead mine is deducting the $5 as if it was a payment on the account.
    When I make a payment it should deduct from the account balance. Instead it adds to the balance. Example I have a balance of $100, I make a payment of $50. It should deduct that $50 from my balance making it $50 balance. Mine is adding it as if it is a charge making the new balance $150. Does that make it clear.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What color are the numbers in your balance column at the bottom?  It should be red.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Options
    Apparently I did not word this correctly. Let me try again.
    I have a balance of $10, then I charge $5. My new balance should be $15. Instead mine is deducting the $5 as if it was a payment on the account.
    When I make a payment it should deduct from the account balance. Instead it adds to the balance. Example I have a balance of $100, I make a payment of $50. It should deduct that $50 from my balance making it $50 balance. Mine is adding it as if it is a charge making the new balance $150. Does that make it clear.
    If you have a balance of $10 and then charge $5, the new balance should be $5.

If you have a balance of $100 and then make a payment of $50, the new balance should be $150.

Look at the sign of the balance.  Is it a positive balance or a negative balance? 
This discussion has been closed.