Can you please include transfers from excluded accounts

Hi - I've been trying to figure out a way of making the reporting on the Web App useful by excluding all of my payroll data (tax, other deductions) and have a view of Net Income and Net expense. I thought I had cracked it by creating a 'payroll' clearing account where all of my payroll details are entered into that account, but a net transfer to my checking is also done so I can see net income and expense in that account.

So on the desktop, this works great because it's easy to exclude the clearing account from most reports, but on the Web version, accounts are included/excluded based on whether you sync them or not. If I sync the Clearing account, Tax shows as my #1 expense and I am back to square 1. If I exclude the clearing account, the credits in my checking account are also excluded, which is bizarre behavior. Just because I don't want to see the transactions on one account, doesn't mean I don't want to see them on the other. That would be like not showing credit card payments to an account not synced.

Can this be addressed, or does someone else have a better method of seeing the simple net view from the web. The reports are quite clean and could be useful but for this problem

Best Answer

Answers

• JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Zoolook are you using Quicken Windows?

I don't use any of the mobile stuff, but I was curious so I tried this in a new data file with just a checking account and a couple of savings accounts and my results are different than you describe.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm trying to wrap my head about the oxymoronic contradiction presented here.  INCLUDE transactions from an EXCLUDED account? If you want to include those transactions, why is the account excluded???

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Zoolook
    Zoolook Member, Mac Beta Beta
    @Zoolook are you using Quicken Windows?

I don't use any of the mobile stuff, but I was curious so I tried this in a new data file with just a checking account and a couple of savings accounts and my results are different than you describe.
    Yes Quicken Windows. Interesting, I am continuing to experiment, but it seems to only impact income to an account from a non-synced account, but not a payment to a 'non synced account'. 
  • Zoolook
    edited February 2020
    NotACPA said:
    I'm trying to wrap my head about the oxymoronic contradiction presented here.  INCLUDE transactions from an EXCLUDED account? If you want to include those transactions, why is the account excluded???
    "Oxymoronic contradiction" is tautological, you only need one of those words to make your unhelpful point.

I think it's quite clear in the text body, and even the title if you give yourself a brief moment to calm down, that I am talking about one side of the transfer between a synced and non-synced account. What I am seeing is that transactions on a synced account are not showing, because they originate from a synced account.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    BTW I had to read your original post a couple of times to get what you were saying. In that post you never mentioned transfers, you left it up to the reader to understand a "credit" in one account was a "debit" in another.
    Using Quicken Subscription Premier (and have a copy of Starter to test things on)
  • Zoolook
    OK after resetting my file, the transactions now do show in my checking account (hooray) with the category of Account not Synced. BUT... they don't contribute to income on the income report... so it looks like I've had no income for the last year! 🤦‍♂️ 
  • Zoolook
    BTW I had to read your original post a couple of times to get what you were saying. In that post you never mentioned transfers, you left it up to the reader to understand a "credit" in one account was a "debit" in another.
    At the end of the 1st paragraph I did, and also in the title. OK it's a but jumbled, I was trying to explain what I wanted to do and not just something symptomatic, but I can see it could be confusing.

I'm guessing transactions with "account not synced" are excluded from the reports. If I change the category, it will sync back and blow up my desktop transfers. Maybe I don't need the web version, actually simplifi is nice for basic stuff like net spending.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    Oops. Sorry!
    Your right. I jumped back on that without looking again, all I really remembered is that I didn't really understand the question at first.
  • JustMeHere
    JustMeHere Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Zoolook said:
    > (Quote)
    > I'm guessing transactions with "account not synced" are excluded from the reports. If I change the category, it will sync back and blow up my desktop transfers.

There is no "category" for a transfer. The "income" or "expense" category would be in another transaction in the non-synced account.

For instance you get a deposit and mark it "Business income" (in the non-synced account) and then do a transfer to your checking account. That transfer isn't income. Now in Quicken Desktop you can include transfers in your reports, but they aren't income or expenses.
This discussion has been closed.