Best Bank for Bill Paying via Quicken?

Plenger
Plenger Member ✭✭
edited February 2020 in Before you Buy
There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    HI @Plenger,

I have used PNC (and its predecessor banks) for bill pay since at least the mid 1990's.  It's a "Direct Connect" connection and works nearly flawlessly.  I am using Quicken for Windows 2017 right now.  Not sure if they are in your geography or not, but I would recommend them.

Good luck!

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Plenger ,

Contact PNC Bank Customer Service:

1-888-PNC-BANK (1-888-762-2265)

• Through PNC Voice Banking, automated account information is available 24/7, 365 days a year.
    • 24-hour Automated Account Information is available 24/7, 365 days a year.
    • View the Consumer Voice Banking menu map to get access faster to the information you need.
    • PNC Customer Care Consultants are available 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., ET, Monday through Friday and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., ET, Saturday and Sunday to help you with your existing PNC accounts or to open new accounts.
    • Calling from outside the United States? General Customer Service can be reached by calling International Collect, 412-803-7711, to help you with your existing PNC accounts. Available 7:00 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., ET, Monday through Friday and 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., ET, Saturday and Sunday.
    Standard Checking Account works best with Quicken using Direct Connect.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    While I do not use, Chase is another that offers free Direct Connect with online bill payment.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm curious, why won't BofA turn on Direct Connect for you?

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Plenger
    Plenger Member ✭✭
    > @splasher said:
    > @Plenger
    > I'm curious, why won't BofA turn on Direct Connect for you?

Rep told me they don't offer it anymore. Implied that others have it by being grandfathered in, but 'new' users must use Quicken Connect. Took me a long time just to get to that.
  • miklk
    miklk SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    splasher said:
    I'm curious, why won't BofA turn on Direct Connect for you?

Bank of America does Not offer direct connect to anyone unless you were an existing Gradfathered in direct connect customer when they stopped offering it a while back (several years now) 
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I remember that now, not being a BofA customer, it never really mattered to me, that they only have one branch in my area anymore and it really isn't in an area that I like to go into.
    The other local choices are BB&T, PNC and SunTrust which I have no experience with.
    Comment about PNC, Quicken will not work with their PNC Wallet accounts, only the regular checking accounts.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    TD Bank also indicates that it is compatible with Quicken, however I could not determine the connection method that they use.  Here's the link to their "Quicken page"
    https://www.td.com/us/en/personal-banking/search/?query=How%20do%20I%20use%20Quicken%20and%20QuickBooks%20with%20Online%20Banking%3F&source=9

Good luck!

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    The best banks are those that support Direct Connect for banking, credit cards, account info, and bill payment. These are represented in the financial institution directory file FIDIR.TXT with the string
    BANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO,PAYMENT&DIRECT
    It turns out there are about 63 of these. However, there is no indication whether each bank charges a fee for the services rendered, or, as with B of A, whether new customers can get it or not. For that, you'd need to contact the bank. Geography is also a factor.
    I wanted to attach a text file of the 63 banks, but .txt files are not allowed as attachments on this forum. Here's a searchable PDF, I hope it helps.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    To my knowledge, there are only two banks that offer free Direct Connect access including Quicken online bill payment: Chase Bank and PNC Bank. My personal experience with PNC bank is they are a great bank and service provider.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    To my knowledge, there are only two banks that offer free Direct Connect access including Quicken online bill payment: Chase Bank and PNC Bank.
    • Directly connect your Chase accounts using your Personal Financial Management (PFM) software, like Quicken® or QuickBooks®.
    • With Direct Connect PFM there is a monthly service fee of $9.95. There is no monthly fee for Premier Platinum Checking, Chase Private Client and Private Banking customers.
    So you have to be a high-enough-tier customer at Chase to get it for free.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Plenger
    Plenger Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > The best banks are those that support Direct Connect for banking,
    > credit cards, account info, and bill payment. These are represented in
    > the financial institution directory file FIDIR.TXT with the stringBANKING,CREDIT,ACCOUNTINFO,PAYMENT&DIRECT
    >
    > It
    > turns out there are about 63 of these. However, there is no indication
    > whether each bank charges a fee for the services rendered, or, as with B
    > of A, whether new customers can get it or not. For that, you'd need to
    > contact the bank. Geography is also a factor.
    > I wanted to
    > attach a text file of the 63 banks, but .txt files are not allowed as
    > attachments on this forum. Here's a searchable PDF, I hope it helps.

This is really great info. Thanks much, Rocket.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    you can see and lookup your bank account on the Online Bill Payment screen -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

This discussion has been closed.