Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

New user: Import OFX generated by Natwest Bank UK (part of RBS)

I've yet to buy quicken, but a simple google search of "import OFX file into Quicken" yields a top hit that says "it does not (even if they so)" .....

So what is it ?

This has to be an option for me as the RBS uk bank or Natwest bank does not appear on the supported its of direct imports.
I do not mind that will not automatically link to the bank, but the bank online system can export in (QUICKEN 2001 onwards OFX format); so will I be able to import this.
Also what about CSV file ?

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Quicken does not work with OFX for financial institutions and hasn't for many years.  The download files need to be QFX format to be able to directly import them into Quicken.
    There is a manual workaround if you can get QIF format files from your banks:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7150750/faq-how-to-import-qif-files-into-non-cash-accounts-post-q2004
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    BTW, I used the manual workaround process with an investment company which was not on the Quicken FI (financial institutions) list and it worked well for me for several years.  This work around process is supposed to work for credit card and bank accounts, too.  It is not a complicated process and once I got it to work for me I saved the lines of data to be inserted into the QIF file (while it is open in Notepad) in a separate Notepad file so I could simply copy and paste it into the downloaded file instead of having to manually type it in each time.
    What you might want to consider doing before you buy Quicken is download a free copy of Quicken 2013 (https://assistant.quicken.com/patch/ASDES5672FR13/Old_Products/QWIN/QW2013DLX.exe).  You won't be able to access any online services with this version so it will be totally manual set up but you could use it to see if this workaround process might work for you.  If it does and it meets your needs you can then purchase a Quicken subscription and upgrade to the current version with which you will have all of the other online services and features capabilities.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R32.12 on Windows 10)
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    You can take a lot of work out of the process if you use a program like ImportQIF by QuicknPerlWiz.  It will take a QIF or CSV file and convert it into a QIF file that can be imported, doing all the work described in the link in @Boatnmaniac 's first post.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • barbmcgq
    barbmcgq Member ✭✭
    Is QuicknPerlWiz safe to download and use?
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R32.12  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21364.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.928

Note: Holding Down the Left Shift Key or Left Ctrl Key produces Window with Quicken 2019 in the Title Bar when click About Quicken,

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    barbmcgq said:
    Is QuicknPerlWiz safe to download and use?
    I think so.  He used to be one of the superusers here on this forum.  I use ImportQIF.  You will get an unsigned warning when downloading his program, but that is okay to ignore.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list
  • greggalf
    greggalf Member
    Thank you for the suggestions. What I am seeing from the Italian banks (I live in Venice) is that downloads are offered in PDF or CSV. I will try this later and try to convert it to an uploadable QIF file. I am familiar with the FI>QIF>Quicken process from times in the past when QFX was disabled (until I upgrade my software release). I will try adding the extra step with CSV and report back here with the outcome. Thanks, G
This discussion has been closed.