Quicken not memorizing categories!

I'm so frustrated that I can't get Quicken for Mac to memorize categories and I have go through my entries one-by-one and do this. Any help?

Best Answer

• John_in_NC
    John_in_NC SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    Hi again, Heidi. It's good to hear from you.

The 5.14 release had some key new features regarding QuickFill and Renaming rules, and I suspect understanding the new behavior is what is causing your issues.

I can't remember if you download transactions or manually enter (or both). I think all of us are learning the new algorithms.

If you manually enter, make sure when entering a new payee, the Category field has a checkmark next to the "Also apply to future transactions of"

This will create a new QuickFill rule. Currently, Tags, the Amount, and Memo are not saved unless you manually edit Rule in Window: Payees & Rules. That is supposed to change in a future release. But, be aware you can now setup rules for each payee so that it fleshes out the transaction with your desired details each time.

And when you go to enter a transaction again using that payee, you will see the various payee QuickFill rules based on category, etc. populate the Quickfill popup list. 

There is a learning curve to this, but this addition does allow a lot of potential once you understand it.

Answers

• John_in_NC
    Which version of Quicken for Mac are you using?
  • heidibb
    heidibb Member ✭✭
    OOPS! I'm using 5.14.3
  • heidibb
    heidibb Member ✭✭
    John, it's you! I should have known!
  • John_in_NC
    Answer ✓
    Hi again, Heidi. It's good to hear from you.

The 5.14 release had some key new features regarding QuickFill and Renaming rules, and I suspect understanding the new behavior is what is causing your issues.

I can't remember if you download transactions or manually enter (or both). I think all of us are learning the new algorithms.

If you manually enter, make sure when entering a new payee, the Category field has a checkmark next to the "Also apply to future transactions of"

This will create a new QuickFill rule. Currently, Tags, the Amount, and Memo are not saved unless you manually edit Rule in Window: Payees & Rules. That is supposed to change in a future release. But, be aware you can now setup rules for each payee so that it fleshes out the transaction with your desired details each time.

And when you go to enter a transaction again using that payee, you will see the various payee QuickFill rules based on category, etc. populate the Quickfill popup list. 

There is a learning curve to this, but this addition does allow a lot of potential once you understand it.

• heidibb
    heidibb Member ✭✭
    Thank you. I download transactions and every time they have random categories...i.e. Sewer SftllsSan gets the category 'telephone"?? No categories are correct so I have to go through each one and change it. I see where I can save splits but not the single categories for Payees.

Maybe it's time to manually enter.
  • smayer97
    smayer97 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    heidibb said:
    Thank you. I download transactions and every time they have random categories...i.e. Sewer SftllsSan gets the category 'telephone"?? No categories are correct so I have to go through each one and change it. I see where I can save splits but not the single categories for Payees.

Maybe it's time to manually enter.

And/or set up as many scheduled transactions as possible for repeating entries, even if the amounts differ.

Have Questions? Help Guide for Quicken for Mac
    FAQs: Quicken MacQuicken WindowsQuicken Mobile
    Add your VOTE to Quicken for Mac Product Ideas

Object to Quicken's business model, using up 25% of your screen? Add your vote here:
    Quicken should eliminate the LARGE Ad space when a subscription expires

(Now Archived, even with over 350 votes!)

(Canadian user since '92, STILL using QM2007)

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    And/or build a few QuickFill rules for your consistent transactions and Payees.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
This discussion has been closed.