Quicken is automatically changing my stock to the wrong company

I am using Quicken Premier 2020 R25.10 on Windows. My investing account downloaded transactions which Quicken classified as the purchase of one company but they have the ticker wrong. I tried to manually change the downloaded transactions and select the correct stock and ticker but Quicken immediately reverts it back to the wrong stock. I've even tried entering an entirely new transaction and the same thing happens. I type in the Security Name, I get the screen that says Enter symbol for new security and the list below has the right stock and ticker. I click that ticker, hit next and I get the pop up window saying Quicken will add the new security and this page is still correct with the right name and ticker. But when I click done, that page closes and Quicken has now changed the Security name to the company it thinks that ticker belong to. It will not let me enter the correct stock no matter what I do.

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    What ticker was downloaded?  What do you believe it should have been?  And what's the FULL name of the security?

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Mike48
    Mike48 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > What ticker was downloaded?  What do you believe it should have been?  And what's the FULL name of the security?

The correct stock is Premier Gold Mines, ticker PG on the Toronto Stock Exchange (TSE). When I put that as the security name Quicken finds the ticker on the TSE. But immediately changes to Procter and Gamble, PG on the NYSE, no matter what I do.
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Try the symbol TSE:PG

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Mike48
    Mike48 Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > Try the symbol TSE:PG

Does the same thing. It finds the correct company name, then automatically changes it back to Procter and Gamble when I hit OK.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    WAG to try:  Create the new security with a different (wrong) ticker, maybe NotPG.  Enter a transaction or two or correct existing ones with that security.  Then edit the new security and change the ticker to TSE:PG.  

Separate question -- do you have Proctor and Gamble in your current database as you are trying to add this new security?
  • Mike48
    Mike48 Member ✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > WAG to try:  Create the new security with a different (wrong) ticker, maybe NotPG.  Enter a transaction or two or correct existing ones with that security.  Then edit the new security and change the ticker to TSE:PG.  
    >
    > Separate question -- do you have Proctor and Gamble in your current database as you are trying to add this new security?

I will try that later today. I haven't owned Procter and Gamble stock in over 5 years but it is probably in my Quicken history still from back then. I guess that's the downside to using the same software for a decade plus?
  • Mike48
    Mike48 Member ✭✭
    > @q_lurker said:
    > WAG to try:  Create the new security with a different (wrong) ticker, maybe NotPG.  Enter a transaction or two or correct existing ones with that security.  Then edit the new security and change the ticker to TSE:PG.  
    >
    > Separate question -- do you have Proctor and Gamble in your current database as you are trying to add this new security?

Still didn't work. I had to create a new security with no ticker symbol. I was able to rename my transactions that way but it means that I won't be able to download price data and just update it manually.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Try using the ticker PIRGF, current price is $1.169. Is that the right company?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Mike48
    Mike48 Member ✭✭
    > @Jim_Harman said:
    > Try using the ticker PIRGF, current price is $1.169. Is that the right company?

It is the right company but that is the US listed pink sheets stock vs. the stock I own being the Canadian listed version. I could do that to at least have an idea of the dollar value of my holding and just ignore the fact that the P&L calculation will be wrong.
  • Mike48
    Mike48 Member ✭✭
    I managed to find a solution to this although I'm not entirely sure why it works. But I have done it now for 2 different securities Premier Gold Mines (TSE:PG) and Harte Gold (TSE:HRT) both of which have companies on NYSE with the same ticker in the US. After the transactions were entered I click on the security on the Investing page to bring up the Security Detail view. Then click the Edit Security Details button. I unchecked the box for Download Asset Class Information and the box at the very bottom for Matched with Online Security. Then instead of searching for the stock I just typed TSE:PG in the Symbol box. When I hit OK it asked if I wanted to merge my old price information or delete it, I chose delete it. Now the correct prices are being downloaded when I update. When I unchecked the online match I thought it might just stop downloading quotes altogether but for whatever reason it is still downloading and it is actually downloading the correct values.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    @Mike:  The 'process' -- When you download transactions from your financial institution (FI), Quicken processes the securities reported by the FI, by name, by ticker, and most importantly by CUSIP (for US securities; Canadian securities may have a different unique id.  not my area of expertise).  Quicken compares that set of downloaded securities against the securities in the users QDF file database using that CUSIP number. 

If one of the CUSIPs from the downloaded set does not match anything in the Quicken set, Quicken 'should' be asking you about it.  The program 'should' (it does for me) prompt the user to either create a new Quicken security or to match the new download with an existing security.  It may be (conjecture warning!) that Quicken saw the new downloaded security (maybe ticker = PG without the TSE prefix) and saw your Quicken security (Proctor & Gamble, ticker = PG) and decided they had to be one in the same without offering your the match up option.  It is also possible that you (as others have done) missed the meaning of what Quicken prompted you for.   

Once Quicken has matched up the FI's information to the designated Quicken security, that relationship holds until the user unchecks the box that the Quicken security is matched to an online security.  Again, for US securities, that match-point is based on CUSIP number. 

From that point, when FI reports that CUSIP number (or Canadian equivalent) Quicken associates that to the Quicken designated security (P&G in your case).  It is your unchecking that Matched ... box that is breaking the bad association. 

Hope this helps the understanding of the process. 
This discussion has been closed.