What is "Securities/Max ref" ?

Philip107
Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
Release R25.10 (US Versions, Feb 2020) contains the item:
Improved: Added the ability to renumber securities as part of validate and repair.

I don't know what security numbers are so while researching the Community I ran across discussions of the Securities/Max ref quantity. I guess Quicken's explanation is no longer available. This reference is dead:

I checked my Securities/Max ref and found it to be 147/281 after a validate and repair. So, should these be equal and if so how do I fix it?

thanks,   -phil

Quicken User since 1998

Comments

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    for reference....  CTRL + About Quicken
    mine have been the same number.

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Philip107 -- the post you cited has been archived.  Quoting from that source:

Hi All,
    This is a recent addition, developed as a troubleshooting tool--we were finding that in some cases, investment crashes were due to out of range security numbers (i.e., the "Max Ref" number is far above the "Securities" number).  This discrepancy is typically caused by data damage, and we were seeing Max Ref numbers in the 50,000+ range, causing a huge memory resource drain and a crash.
    A cryptic (easter egg type) way had been encoded to renumber the securities.  Apparently that has now been incorporated in the validation routines.  

Were your numbers after using the 25.10 validation?  You might try a second cycle of validation.  Beyond that, I would point you to Quicken support.  No other tool I know of to make the correction.
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    I deleted a couple unused securities and then ran a Super Validation. Quicken now says I have 144/281 as the Securities/Max ref. No real change after the validation.

Here's what printed in the Log file:
    [Wed Feb 19 09:52:18 2020]
    Analyzing securities.
    Number of old style Buy/Cash investment transactions updated: 100/0
    Normal security references (up to 5000): 144 from 1 to 281
    Abnormal references: 0 from 0 to 0
    Transactions renumbered/highest/set to zero: 0/0/0
    Recheck of highest after renumbering: 281
    Renumbering complete.
    Maximum security references after renumbering normal/moved: 281/281

See Q-Renumber.txt in QW.EXE directory for details.
    Super validation has completed.

The renumbering log entry indicates it did make changes and the Q-Renumber.txt log shows a list of securities that were renumbered, but yet the Securities/Max ref number doesn't show that it changed.
    Quicken User since 1998
  • Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    That link is dead also mentioned earlier in this post.
    Quicken User since 1998
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Philip107 said:
    That link is dead also mentioned earlier in this post.
    it is just "closed" - but has some interesting background.
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7733014/what-is-securities-max-ref

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    The link doesn't work for me. I get a Permissions Problem.

Quicken User since 1998
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Philip107 said:
    The link doesn't work for me. I get a Permissions Problem.
    OOPS - sorry,  that thread is located in a Admin/Mods area -
    and not avail for public viewing.... probably deemed too dangerous for folks just taking a hammer and beating on their QDF file.

• Philip107
    Philip107 Member ✭✭✭✭
    So, I've always wondered what a "SuperUser" is as it states by your member name that gives you special permissions?
    Quicken User since 1998
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Here is the relevant text including the steps to take to renumber your securities. Back up your data file just in case.
    This is a recent addition, developed as a troubleshooting tool--we were finding that in some cases, investment crashes were due to out of range security numbers (i.e., the "Max Ref" number is far above the "Securities" number).  This discrepancy is typically caused by data damage, and we were seeing Max Ref numbers in the 50,000+ range, causing a huge memory resource drain and a crash.

There's now a tool to use to renumber the securities, which should resolve the specific issue: just hold CTRL+Shift and then click "Move Transaction" in an investment register--you'll be prompted to run a utility to renumber the securities.  Using CTRL+About first lets us confirm whether this discrepancy is the cause of an investment crash.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Philip107 said:
    So, I've always wondered what a "SuperUser" is as it states by your member name that gives you special permissions?
    Yep, SuperUsers get extra permissions.  Status is granted by moderators based on participation (quantity and quality).

I've brought this discussion to the direct attention of those with greater powers in the hopes they might offer some knowledgeable input.
This discussion has been closed.