Fix corrupted date file

I'm on an iMac running Sierra 10.12.6 and have both Quicken 2007 and 2019. In Quicken 2007, after entering an item in the register, Quicken quit. When I reopened the app, and selected the file I was using, I got the message: Quicken has found corrupt date in your file......
Anything I've found so far mentioned validate and repair. I cannot find this option in either Quicken apps. How do I fix this problem?

Best Answer

• dmtgs
    dmtgs Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    This was a real Murphy's Law instance. I use Time Machine as backup. When I found that the file was corrupt. my first thought was use Time Machine. When the app couldn't find the hard drive, I discovered that the hard drive crashed. Long story short, I downloaded info from my bank to Quicken 2019. I have some work to do, but I'm now comfortable with what's ahead of me.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND HELP !!

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    edited February 2020
  • dmtgs
    dmtgs Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Rick. I did find that article and none of the suggestions worked. I was able to get back info to 9/4/19. But, still hoping the file can be fixed. I've seen a suggestion of validate and repair (I think that is what it was), but can only find it for Windows, not Mac :(
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    "Validate and repair" is a Windows-only thing. The Windows and Quicken 2007 databases are completely different. Did you do Command-Option-B to rebuild your file indexes? That fixes a lot of apparent date problems.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It sounds like you can't open the file now, so Command-Option-B isn't going to help. Did you try "additional solution" in the above article:

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7598811/quicken-mac-faq-message-when-opening-file-unable-to-open-file-qm2007

Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    RickO said:
    It sounds like you can't open the file now, so Command-Option-B isn't going to help. 
    Actually, it says " I was able to get back info to 9/4/19.…", so I was assuming the file is opening, just not showing all data. Missing data after a date, or dates out of order, are common corruptions in Quicken 2007, and re-indexing normally fixes those problems.  

@dmtgs  Do you have any backup files, either created by Quicken or via Time Machine or any cloud backup service? If you can revert to a relativelty recent backup and it doesn't show signs of corruption, that may be your easiest path forward.

(If you have no backups, take the pledge now: that you will in the near future set up an inexpensive external hard drive to run Time Machine -- it literally takes about two clicks to set and forget -- and never again have your Mac not backed up going forward!)
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • dmtgs
    dmtgs Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    This was a real Murphy's Law instance. I use Time Machine as backup. When I found that the file was corrupt. my first thought was use Time Machine. When the app couldn't find the hard drive, I discovered that the hard drive crashed. Long story short, I downloaded info from my bank to Quicken 2019. I have some work to do, but I'm now comfortable with what's ahead of me.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND HELP !!
This discussion has been closed.