The invest perform report shows the "Annual Average Return". Is there a way to view return YTD % ?

The investment performance report shows the "Annual Average Return" which is the IRR. Is there a way view an absolute period to date percentage return?

Best Answer

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can set a shorter period in the investment performance report, but the IRR is annualized so it assumes for example that YTD changes will continue for the rest of the year.

I prefer the ROI (%) numbers for shorter periods.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • doris233
    doris233 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, I would like to see Period to date changes in a percent without having it annualize. Is there a way to view that number in any report?
  • Jim_Harman
    In the Portfolio views, there is a column for non-annualized ROI (%) YTD where the ending date defaults to today. Changing the As of date changes the ending date.

If you want a different starting date, click on the Options gear then Portfolio preferences and set the starting date. Then the plain ROI (%) column will show the number for that period. Note that Quicken remembers this starting date so to avoid confusion in the future you may want to change it back to the default of Earliest to Date when you are done.

You can print or export this data by selecting File > Print Portfolio or clicking Ctrl-P.

There is some disagreement about whether the ROI (%) numbers are useful for groups of securities when there is trading activity during the period. See this discussion:
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7864889/account-level-amount-invested-and-roi-are-calculated-incorrectly-when-a-security-is-sold
  • doris233
    doris233 Member ✭✭✭
    The portfolio view is under the investing tab, right? Also I don't see an option for non-annualized ROI (%) under the options; customize view? Can you advise? Thanks so much
  • doris233
    doris233 Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you, would be nice if it that option was available in investment performance reports.
  • Jim_Harman
    One other note on this: If you set the date range for the Investing Performance report to Annual and Current Year, it will do the IRR calculation assuming that the selected securities are unchanged for the rest of the year.

This is basically the same as the YTD non-annualized change and is often a better assumption than the YTD calculation, which assumes that the YTD trend will continue for the rest of the year.
  • doris233
    doris233 Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks, by annual, you mean yearly and then current year. I don't see an annual option. This worked though. I guess if I look at a full year (ie: last year) it will show actual as well. Would be also nice to look at actual as the year progress by quarter.
    Thanks again
  • Jim_Harman
    Sorry, yes - yearly and current year. You could also choose Last 12 months which should match the Avg. Annual Return (%) 1-year column in the Investing > Portfolio views. Make sure the security and account selections are the same in both places. 

You can get the same YTD result in the Portfolio views by setting the As of date to 12/31/2020 and looking at the Avg. Annual Return (%) 1-year column.

This discussion has been closed.