Why do some transactions have categories auto-assigned?

When viewing transactions via Quicken on the Web, I'm finding some transactions that have the category already assigned. These same transactions do not have a memorized payee, and the category in my Quicken App for Windows for this same transaction has not been assigned.

When I sync Quicken App for Windows with Quicken on the Web, the transaction still has the (magically assigned) category when viewing via the web, but the category is still blank when viewing via Windows.

What is causing Categories to be auto-assigned in Quicken on the Web when there are no renaming rules or memorized payees associated with the transaction?

Best Answer

• RK Mills
    RK Mills Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Diana - I found the option to disable "Complete fields using previous entries". and this solved the erroneous auto-assign problem. I've not tried to reset the cloud data to resolve the other issue.

Answers

• Hello RK Mills, thank you for reaching out.

Quicken will automatically assign transactions according to the financial institutions suggestions as well as similar previous transaction categories. There are a couple of options to stop this from happening.

You can disable this setting by following this pathway: Edit>Preferences>Data entry and Quickfill>Data entry>uncheck "Complete fields using previous entries. This action will however stop all transactions from being automatically added, including the ones that are correct.

Another option is to manually correct the category as the transactions comes in, which will prompt Quicken to remember them in the future.

If I understood correctly, the category is added in the web application but not on the mobile app? Performing a sync should be completing this action. I would suggest resetting the cloud data in the software. Edit> Preferences> Quicken ID Sync and Alerts> Reset your cloud data. Once the cloud data has been reset, sign out and then back into your mobile app.

Were you able to give this a try, or have you already done these steps? Let us know how it went so that we can further assist if necessary!

- Quicken Diana
  • RK Mills
    RK Mills Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Diana - I found the option to disable "Complete fields using previous entries". and this solved the erroneous auto-assign problem. I've not tried to reset the cloud data to resolve the other issue.
This discussion has been closed.