Scheduling a Quick Pay or Check Pay for a future date?

According to this help page, it isn't possible to schedule a Quick Pay or Check Pay payment for a future date:
https://www.quicken.com/support/how-make-payments-using-quick-pay-and-check-pay

Is that correct? If so, that's a non-starter for me, removing a feature that's been available in Quicken for decades using Checkfree / Quicken Bill Pay.

I get large bills 3-7 weeks in advance of their due date (e.g. credit card, insurance) or 5 months in advance (property tax bills), and I use Bill Pay to schedule them for payment when they're due. Will the new Quick / Check Pay, the billers will be getting the float on my money, unless I carefully set reminders to pay them on the day before their due date.

For a dumbed-down service, I might as well go to my bank.

Best Answer

Answers

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    The documentation is correct.  Quick Pay and Check Pay are not a replacement for a Bill Pay service that allows us to schedule payments.
  • John Ellis
    John Ellis Member ✭✭✭
    > @Sherlock said: The documentation is correct.  Quick Pay and Check Pay are not a replacement for a Bill Pay service that allows us to schedule payments.

Which will be unfortunate when Quicken Bill Pay is phased out:

"Quicken is moving to a new Bill Pay platform to improve your experience."
    https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-how-set-quick-pay-and-check-pay

It certainly won't be improving my experience.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    I agree it is unfortunate that payments can't be scheduled in advance.
    My habit is to pay bills when they arrive and schedule each payment a week in advance of its due date. This is so I can get rid of paper bills as soon as they come in, and the week gives me time to correct any errors that may crop up.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• sbeede
    sbeede Member ✭✭✭
    This is also a non-starter for me! More that 25% of my 20+ bills cannot be paid via Quick Pay, including my mortgage. I cannot afford to pay my mortgage 25 days in advance when I receive the bill. I need to schedule it to be paid when due, an essential feature supported by Bill Pay.

Negative impacts:
    1) Cannot schedule all of my payments when bills are received. (This is a MAJOR miss in bill payment functionality).
    2) For some bill, must wait until 4 days before payment is due to ensure that I don't overdraw my account. God help me if I forget!
    3) Completely screws up the accuracy of my register. Quicken register inaccurately shows the Check Pay "payment date" as today, not the date that the check was cut nor the date the check will be received. I can no longer look at my register, whether on my desktop or the Quicken mobile app, and accurately determine my balance. (a MAJOR miss in financial management functionality)

QUICKEN: Please, please, please do not discontinue Bill Pay until this functionality is provided.
  • Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    For example I pay credit card a couple of times a month to keep the balance low. At the end of the billing period the CC automatically pulls money from my checking account if there is still payment due. How do I handle this with new system?
  • Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    In addition, I generally have payments scheduled for about a month in advance.
  • BobC
    BobC Member ✭✭✭✭
    Bertilak:  Good questions.  You may also be interested in the following threads:

There are a number of similar questions and issues that are as yet unanswered or the answers are not OK for at least some users - like the 12 and 3 payments/month limits.

Thanks for posting,
    BobC

Thanks,
    BobC

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Subscription, Build 27.1.52.28,
    Windows 11 Pro Version 22H2 OS build 22621.2283 Exp 1000.22662.1000.0

• Bertilak
    Bertilak Member ✭✭✭✭
    Wow! Quicken sure has messed things up. I need to re-think my whole money management process.

It looks like more than "clarifications" are needed. What is needed is a flexible bill-paying service.

I will look into my credit union's bill paying service. But that means I can't handle it all from one place -- that place used to be Quicken but unless changes are (un?)made I am at a loss.

I'm very disappointed!
  • llupin
    llupin Member ✭✭
    I cannot understand why Quicken would remove a feature that is basic to every bill pay service I've ever used.
  • llupin
    llupin Member ✭✭
    Quicken Kathryn, we all read your announcement. Please respond to this thread.
  • mikeglaspy
    mikeglaspy Member ✭✭✭
    I received the notification of the changed bill paying service. I followed the directions to begin setting it up, but it doesn't appear available on Quicken yet. I checked and have the latest s/w installed (R.25.18). When I click on "Bills & Income", there is NO page that looks like their instructions, i.e., mo "Get Started." When will this be available?
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    I received the notification of the changed bill paying service. I followed the directions to begin setting it up, but it doesn't appear available on Quicken yet. I checked and have the latest s/w installed (R.25.18). When I click on "Bills & Income", there is NO page that looks like their instructions, i.e., mo "Get Started." When will this be available?
    Hello @mikeglaspy

Quicken Bill Manager is available as of the R25.10 release for Quicken for Windows and the 5.15.0 release for Quicken for Mac.

If using Windows, please go to the Bills & Income tab and click on the Gear icon in the upper right.  In the menu that opens, select "Set up Quicken Bill Manager"

In Quicken for Mac, go to the Bills & Income tab, then select "New Bill" and "Pay"

I hope this helps, thank you.

Sarah
  • llupin
    llupin Member ✭✭
    Quicken Sarah, please answer the primary question in this topic.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    llupin said:
    Quicken Sarah, please answer the primary question in this topic.
    Hello @llupin

At this time, future scheduled bill payment transactions is not available with Quicken Bill Manager.

We know this is important to our customers, and we're working on implementing this in a future release. 

Hope this helps, thanks.

Sarah
  • Launce
    Launce Member ✭✭
    On Quicken Bill Pay, I had the option to set payment for the day I entered the transaction, or the due date. Other than setting a reminder and waiting for the due date to enter the transaction, can I defer the payment date with these new payment services?
  • I agree with others on this thread--the major convenience of a Bill Pay is scheduling the bills in advance. I subscribed to Quicken because of that feature. Integrating it into Quicken would be an improvement but not if scheduling is not included.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So.... basically, any time you use QBM to pay a bill - there is no "date" -
    it just pays the bill as of "today" - ??

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• warrenbh
    warrenbh Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken Sarah says "At this time, future scheduled bill payment transactions is not available with Quicken Bill Manager. We know this is important to our customers, and we're working on implementing this in a future release."

Eliminating the future bill paying feature is a huge, monumental screw-up by Quicken. Luckily I tumbled on it before making the switch to bill manager, and will rely on my bank for such payments.

Quicken Sarah: let's get real specific about when we can expect that Quicken will have the ability to make future payments in Bill Manager so I can determine whether I want anything more to do with Quicken.
  • Dennis Prunkard
    Dennis Prunkard Member ✭✭
    Dear Sarah - The lack of being able to manage my bills in "Bill Manager" (not able to schedule payments) screws up my system and will add a great deal of time and attention to paying bills. I can't imagine why Quicken would jump the gun on including this critical bill management task in the new product. In my opinion, to call the new set up "Bill Manager" is inaccurate and misleading.
  • llupin
    llupin Member ✭✭
    My guess is that the contract with the old service is expiring and Quicken scrambled to get something new in place, even if it was not "ready for prime time."
  • sbeede
    sbeede Member ✭✭✭
    > @ps56k said:
    > So.... basically, any time you use QBM to pay a bill - there is no "date" -
    > it just pays the bill as of "today" - ??

Yes, there is a date, but it's fixed to today's date. For both Quick Pay and Check Pay, you cannot change the payment date.
  • Lee49221
    Lee49221 Member
    The my favorite feature in Quicken is “Projected Balances” (Cash flow)
    This feature allows me to see what my future cash outlook looks like for period of 30 days to a year.

This feature only works if bills can be scheduled with the “edit this instance and all future instances”.

This feature is not available under the new Bill Manager but yet is one of the most powerful features in Quicken.

An example is my car payment. This payment “repeats” the 15th of every month. If Quicken can not let me schedule future payments showing x number of dollars needed in my checking account to fund this payment every month the “projection” of my checking account balance is highly inaccurate.

Please add this feature for the new Bill Manager. Online bills need to have the same flexibility of manual bills. I will not use the new Bill Manager until this feature is available.
    -Lee
  • Richard@
    Richard@ Member ✭✭✭
    I agree - the ability to schedule payments in Quicken Bill Pay was one of the features I really use - all of my reoccurring bills were scheduled in my checking account which made it easy to see what was due when it was due. Hope Quicken gets its act together sooner rather that later with a scheduling feature!
  • James104
    James104 Member ✭✭✭
    No scheduled payments? The utility of the product is very limited. I'll probably go back to writing checks and dating the envelopes to tell me when to mail them. Antique but effective.
  • warrenbh
    warrenbh Member ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    (Removed-Disruptive/Violation of Community Guidelines) 
  • warrenbh
    warrenbh Member ✭✭✭
    I apologize for violating guidelines, but it is just my frustration at having a very useful and functional feature of the Quicken bill-paying program disrupted so abruptly. It would be a great service to Quicken customers if more specific information about progress in remedying this mistake were made available on a regular basis.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    warrenbh said:
    I apologize for violating guidelines....
    Just to clarify - we are mostly all peer level Quicken customers here.....
    and we all feel frustrated and snarky sometimes -

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• EricC
    EricC Member ✭✭✭
    This lack of insight into how users use the Bill Pay feature of Quicken is very disturbing. As implemented, this new "feature" is useless. Unless you can future date bills, I will use my bank's service and look for alternatives to Quicken. My subscription is up for renewal soon and I may need to figure out a new game plan after 30 years.
This discussion has been closed.