Quicken R24.14 won't import TurboTax Premier 2019 data

When will Quicken be able to import data from TurboTax Premier 2019? Quicken R24.14 reports: TurboTax Import Failed (Error 5).

Best Answer

Answers

• markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Make a copy of the Turbo Tax file using Windows Explorer. Then rename the copy with a file name of 8 characters or less with the same file extension (.tax2019). It will then import.  Quicken can't handle the long filename and the spaces in the name.
  • I changed the filename and now it fails with Error 2. Any suggestions?
    I'm using Turbotax Premier Online and Quicken Premier 24.14
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the full path and file name to your TTAX file?  Start with the drive letter and proceed all the way thru .tax2019

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• File path is c:\Users\jmaso\Turbo.tax2019
  • cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @markus1957 said:
    > Make a copy of the Turbo Tax file using Windows Explorer. Then rename the copy with a file name of 8 characters or less with the same file extension (.tax2019). It will then import.  Quicken can't handle the long filename and the spaces in the name.

Not true. The TurboTax file is in the same place as it has been for many years and uses the default naming convention of TurboTax. Quicken has been able to import the TurboTax file in the past. Your explanation is from the early days of Windows and not Windows 10.

If I recall correctly, Quicken was always a few months behind the release of TurboTax before it could import the data which is the reason for my question.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Confirming @jl747 's response about the need to shorten the name of the TT file.
    You don't have to shorten it to 8 characters or less, but you do need to shorten it. The suggested shorter name of 2019 1040  Individual Tax Return.tax2019 will get the job done.
    I don't know where exactly the "file name too long" issue starts, after how many characters of file name (and/or path name), but I was able to import my TT 2019 file using the shortened file name into my Q Windows 2020 R 25.18 just now.
    i just wish, Quicken would get this fixed, once and for all.

This discussion has been closed.