File Not Copied

Is anyone else having a problem creating a Year-End copy of your 2017 Quicken file? I go to File/File Operations/Year-End Copy, fill in the approp dates I want & title of FINAL 2019 file & hit OK. There's an Green bar that comes up gradually starting to fill with the indication of "Copying", but then it stops before it's even a 1/4 done & I get a 2nd message that says "File Not Copied".
Any ideas of how to correct this problem?
Thanks
BAM

Best Answer

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Configure OneDrive to NOT access any Quicken data files in your Quicken folder. That will eliminate the "File in use" error.
    Now please follow this procedure to copy and validate your file:

Validate your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may eventually render a data file broken beyond the repair capabilities built into Quicken.

Please run this exact procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    - If Quicken reports a "File not copied" error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019+ repeat the Copy process, but press and hold SHIFT and CTRL as you click File / File Operations / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes".  Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text. Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.
    - Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

- If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may have no recourse but to restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Barb Mullis,

It is likely that there are data integrity issues with your data file.  You should initiate the Validate file process - see this link https://www.quicken.com/support/advanced-data-file-troubleshooting-correct-problems-quicken-windows

Make sure you backup your file before you start.

Let us know how this works out for you.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Barb Mullis
    Barb Mullis Member ✭✭
    Per the instructions in the link you furnished, I did the following, but NO LUCK - it didn't work:

Tried to execute the File>File Operations>Copy as instructed. Got message of “File Not Copied”
    (So I physically just made a copy of the file for myself as backup)

Then in the file I just made a copy of, I went to File>File Operations>Validate & chose Repair>Validate ONLY, as instructed (NOT “Rebuild investing lots” or “Delete Investing price history”). Several messages popped up as follows, then the file I was validating stays active on screen.
    Validating File
    Validating Data
    Validating File – Please Wait
    Validating file – Checking tags

I attempted to run my Year-End Copy & still got the following error messages:
    1) Copying Files
    2) Then “Quicken cannot open the data file because it is in use by some other application. Please close the application and try again.” OK
    3) When I hit OK to #2 above, it says “Unable to re-load current file after copy” OK
    4) When I hit OK to #3 above, it says “File NOT copied” OK
    5) When I hit OK, the Quicken screen just goes “blank” (no file is open at all.)

So I EXITED from Quicken entirely, reopened, & opened this file again.
    BUT when I attempted to perform File>File Operations>Year-end Copy, I would start to see a File copying load green bar start to fill, but then the following message would pop up.
    1A) “Cannot open the data file because it is in use by some other application. Please close that application and try again.” OK
    2A) I hit OK to #1A above, it says “Unable to re-load current file after copy” OK
    3A) I hit OK to #2A above, it says “File NOT copied” OK
    4A) Hit OK to #3A above, it once again, bring me back to a blank Quicken screen (no file open)

So I EXITED from Quicken AGAIN, reopened & opened a File that now has another BKP added to the end of the name.
    1B Once this latest version of the file is opened, I attempt to execute the File>File Operations>Year-end Copy, BUT once again, the File copying “green” bar starts to fill, but then the file reopens with another BKP added to its name, but a message pops up “File NOT copied”. So I’m just left with my same file, just another name, with multiple BKP in the name.

At this point, UNLESS YOU OR SOMEONE ELSE HAS ANOTHER SUGGESTION, it seems like I'm going to have to physically make a copy of the file, rename it to the New Year. I'll have to make a list of all the Prior Year End Totals. Then, within the New Year File I'll have to DELETE ALL the prior year transactions, updating the beginning year total for each account to whatever the year-end totals were that I captured in my list.

I appreciate you giving me instructions to attempt the Repair Validate avenue. Sad it didn't work.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    What is the path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Barb Mullis
    Barb Mullis Member ✭✭
    OneDrive
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020 Answer ✓
    Configure OneDrive to NOT access any Quicken data files in your Quicken folder. That will eliminate the "File in use" error.
    Now please follow this procedure to copy and validate your file:

Validate your Quicken data file. It may have become damaged over time or if you ever had crashes, hang-ups or loops while running Quicken. Repeated crashes may eventually render a data file broken beyond the repair capabilities built into Quicken.

Please run this exact procedure, skipping no steps:

- Make a copy of your data file: Click File / File Operations / Copy.  Do not change any Copy Option settings. Save file under a new name in same folder as current Quicken data file.  (The Copy process appears to be performing a record-by-record copy of the data file and not just a simple binary image copy. This has been reported as recovering some otherwise not repairable files)
    - If Quicken reports a "File not copied" error creating the Copy file and you are using Q 2019+ repeat the Copy process, but press and hold SHIFT and CTRL as you click File / File Operations / Copy. When prompted "Ignore errors that prevent file copy?" click "Yes".  Note: This may cause some data loss.
    - Open the copied file in Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations / Validate and Repair. Click "Validate File" and "Rebuild investing lots", check to make sure the copied file is being validated. If you suspect that a damaged Quotes Price History causes your problems, also select "Correct investing price history" functions "Delete" or "Repair and Rebuild".  Click OK. Let it run.

- Fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Click File / File Operations. Press and hold SHIFT+CTRL as you click Validate and Repair. The next popup should show "Supervalidate" somewhere in header or text. Click "Supervalidate File", check to make sure the copied file is being validated, click OK. Let it run. It might run for a while.
    - Again fix any errors logged as not repaired by Quicken.

- Now close and restart Quicken using this new file and try your failing action again. If it works, keep using the new file and abandon the old one.

- If that doesn't resolve the issue, you may have no recourse but to restore your Quicken data file from a Manual or Automatic Backup taken prior to the problem first occurring, if necessary going back to older backups until you find a file that does not exhibit these symptoms.
    https://www.quicken.com/support/how-backup-or-restore-your-quicken-data

• Barb Mullis
    Barb Mullis Member ✭✭
    So, I followed the Super Validate instructions & it didn't work at first, because it kept saying that my file couldn't be accessed, as if it was hanging up on transmission to my One Drive.
    But then I EXITED Quicken, made a copy of my OneDrive Data File & placed it on my C drive (User Quicken folder) & then performed the Super Validation again. Then performed a File>File Operations>Copy, which worked this time. Then performed a File>File Operations>Year-End Copy & it worked as usual like past years & now (after renaming my Cpy File to 2020), it contains only my 2020 data & my Archive file has all the other 2019 data.
    Thanks everyone for you help. Have been using Quicken for YEARS & Data Files on OneDrive & never had this problem in the past. Not quite sure why this time, but it's fixed.
    In the future I will copy my Data File from OneDrive down to my Local C drive before performing a Year-End copy so hopefully I don't have this issue again at the end of 2020.
    Thanks again. Your help is much appreicated.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You're better of keeping your Quicken data file on your local C:\ and using OneDrive for backups. 
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
This discussion has been closed.