Bank locks my account if I use the mobile app

Any time I use the mobile app, it tries to sync with my bank and my bank locks my account. They view it as a breech. I have to call them and go through the process to unlock it. The desktop works and syncs fine. The only difference I can see is that the desktop asks for my password before it syncs and the app does not. I really don't care if the app does not sync with the bank - I just want to be able to enter transactions that will be added to the desktop later. Is there a way to turn the sync off on the mobile app or a fix for the error when it tries to sync incorrectly so it doesn't lock my account down?

Comments

• TheLogicEscapesMe
    TheLogicEscapesMe Member ✭✭✭
    > @LeeH21 said:
    > I really don't care if the app does not sync with the bank - I just want to be able to enter transactions that will be added to the desktop later. Is there a way to turn the sync off on the mobile app or a fix for the error when it tries to sync incorrectly so it doesn't lock my account down?

The "model" used for Quicken mobile/web is as follows.
    You sync one or all of you accounts from a Quicken Desktop data file to the "cloud account" on Quicken servers. Quicken mobile/web are basically just the GUIs that "cloud account".

So it is actually the Quicken servers where your "cloud account" is kept that are talking to the financial institution, not your mobile device or web browser.

This system is designed that the Quicken server will log into the financial institution(s) to get transactions (as you) once a day. You can't turn this off.
    This is probably what your bank is rejecting.

You didn't mention two factor authentication, but that of course can also throwing in some problems, because that requires user interaction, and the Quicken server will be kicking off this when you aren't around to acknowledge it. The two factor authentication systems I have seen are "remember this device", and "ask every time". It is "somewhat" possible to make the "remember this device" systems work. It is impossible to make the "ask every time" systems to work.
  • TheLogicEscapesMe
    Looking at this other thread, it seems I'm wrong about one thing, the Quicken cloud servers aren't logging in just once a day, they are doing it multiple times a day.

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871082/quicken-mobile-checks-my-bank-balance-many-times-a-day-and-my-bank-charges-1-each-time#latest
  • LeeH21
    LeeH21 Member ✭✭
    It only happens if open the web app or the mobile app. It works fine when I sync from the desktop. If I open the mobile and I'm real quick and don't let it "refresh", then it doesn't happen - can't do that on the web app. But if I open it long enough where it says "refreshing" and then comes back with "There is a problem with one or more of your accounts", at that point it's happened. Then I can't even log into online banking directly - it's locked for security reasons and I have to call to get them to unlock it.
  • TheLogicEscapesMe
    > @LeeH21 said:
    > It only happens if open the web app or the mobile app.

Have you synced to the "cloud", then just wait say about a day and see if it gets locked up?

If I'm right about this it should (when it goes to do its non interactive updates).

From what I know of the mobile app it doesn't have the "smarts" to talk to your financial institution directly.

When you ask it to refresh at makes a call to the Quicken servers, which actually in turn make calls to the Intuit servers to actually contact your financial institution and get the transactions. (Quicken Inc pays Intuit to provide the connection services). At least I'm sure it works that way for Express Web Connect account (Quicken Connect if you are on a Mac). For Direct Connect Quicken Desktop talks directly to the financial institution's OFX server.

With Quicken Desktop out of the picture another machine has to play that roll. I can almost 100% guarantee it isn't going to be your mobile device doing this. It is most likely going to be the Quicken server that does this (it could be the Intuit server, but I don't think so).

At any rate. All this theory and guessing is sort of pointless, to answer your main concern.

To answer that, the answer is no. There is no way for you to change what is happening.
  • LeeH21
    LeeH21 Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the final answer - :) But, yes - I have gone a week or more and as long as I don't use the web app or the mobile app, or am fast enough with the mobile app to close it before it says "refreshing", I don't have the problem. I can hit the "+" key to add a transaction and then exit real quick once that's saved and I'm fine. I can still cloud sync that transaction(s) to the desktop. But if I'm too slow and the "refreshing" comes up once it's back to the main screen, well, you know. :)
  • TheLogicEscapesMe
    Hmm interesting. Well clearly I'm missing something on how it works. :smile:

I suppose you might try contacting Quicken support they might know something about it or can find out more.
  • LeeH21
    LeeH21 Member ✭✭
    That will be my next move. Thanks for trying! :)
This discussion has been closed.