My portfolio cash balance has disappeared

Recently upgraded from 2017 to the 2019 subscription. I have a portfolio view that I use to reconcile my investment accounts. It's still there, but I used to see a cash balance under the list of securities. It's now gone which effectively prevents me from reconciling my account. How to I get that back.

Best Answer

Answers

• Spokey
    Spokey Member ✭✭
    Thanks, that was it. I guess the upgrade got it unchecked somehow.

I use a portfolio view grouped by account. When I get a statement, like today, I go to the view, change the date to (in this case 2/29) and verify that the security quantities and cash match the statement. It's a little different for each account, even from the same brokerage. For example, in one fidelity account, they report the cash / sweep as fund transactions, but in another, they report to quicken as cash. In a third they report a fund balance, but don't report the transactions and I have to manually add the cash entries (buy/sell) from the sweep account based on a separate section on the statement.

It's further complicated by the fact that Fidelity typically reports a bunch of transaction on the last day but the statement only contains a subset. For example, this month in one account, there were 9 dividends on 2/29 but only 3 are included on the statement. The rest will appear on the next statement.

Fidelity is the major issue. About to do Schwab for the first time since upgrading, but my recollection is that Schwab and Quicken keep everything in sync and I just verify the balances as of the statement date.
  • Spokey
    Spokey Member ✭✭
    Oh, not sure what you mean by

"that sort of activity should be going on in your individual Investment Accounts."

What am I missing that would let me match the securities & cash to a statement? I do use the reconcile function in each account when I've finished verifying and and manual entries.
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "What am I missing that would let me match the securities & cash to a statement?"
    Clicking the "Holdings" button and setting the date to the month end should provide the same essential information - securities, shares, quote, market value, cost - that you're using when looking at Portfolio view. 
    "my recollection is that Schwab and Quicken keep everything in sync and I just verify the balances as of the statement date"
    Most of my investments are in Schwab accounts and I'd say that's generally true, but it does happen once or twice a year the downloaded information and the paper statement are "off" by one transaction; typically a dividend is involved.
  • Spokey
    Spokey Member ✭✭
    thanks again

Yes, that does look like the portfolio less the 1,3,5 return type stuff. I'll give that a try with the Schwab accounts.

Interesting;

I've used Quicken since about win 3.x. Used Andrew Tobias' "Managing Your Money" but they had a poor transition to Windows and that's when I moved to Quicken. You'd think I would have noticed the holdings button sometime in the last 25+ years.
This discussion has been closed.