Cloud Sync not completing and gets stuck on downloading transaction (edited for readability)

Fitzman
Fitzman Member ✭✭
I recently upgraded from Quicken Premier 2017 to Quicken Premier. When i do a Cloud Sync it runs and seemingly is working but hangs up on "transaction" witht down arrow showing. It spins and then eventually says there is a windows error and I have to use task manager to close the program.

Comments

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I suggest you reset your Cloud data.  If you haven't already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/troubleshooting-quicken-mobile-companion-app

• Fitzman
    Fitzman Member ✭✭
    Thanks for the tip and suggestion. I have reset the accounts multiple times but the sync still crashes. The transactions are synching with the mobile app but the sync still crashes and never successfully completes. It gets to the transactions with the down error then program stops saying Quicken for Windows is not responding. Then I have the choice of closing the program or waiting for the error to clear, option two does not work.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Fitzman

Thank you for the response and providing that additional information, although I apologize that you have not yet received a follow-up response.

May I ask, when syncing to the Quicken Cloud, are you initiating the sync from the One Step Update? 

Or going to the Mobile & Web tab > Sync Now button?

If syncing through the One Step Update, please try the Sync now button in the Mobile & Web tab and let us know if the same behavior persists.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • Fitzman
    Fitzman Member ✭✭
    Hello Sarah. I am initiating the sync using the Cloud Sync icon which I have on my task bar. I believe it is the same as the menu option under the Mobile & Web Menu.

I ran my first One Step Update today since upgrading and it completed normally based on what I have. The attached file shows where it hangs and the next window that comes up regarding Quicken.
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @Fitzman

Thank you for those additional details, although I'm sorry to hear that the "hang" is persisting.

If you haven't already, I would recommend contacting Quicken Support for assistance with some advanced troubleshooting steps that should include a review of your sync log files.

Reviewing the sync log should help us determine which transaction is causing the hang and the best next steps to resolve this issue.

Please let us know how it goes with Support, thank you.

Sarah
  • Fitzman
    Fitzman Member ✭✭
    Thank you Sarah, I will contact them and see what we can get resolved. I hope they are available on the weekend.
  • Dale Hayes
    Dale Hayes Member ✭✭
    Did you resolve your problem? I am having the same problem. I have contacted support and reset, deleted cloud file, logged out and logged in and still seeing a hang at downarrow Transactions. Task manager shows 20% CPU and memory useage gradually increasing with no network or disk usage....... so far about 20 minutes. Before all of the corrective actions, I let it run for hours without resolution.
  • Fitzman
    Fitzman Member ✭✭
    Hello Dale. After spending about 1 1/2 hours on the phone this past Friday and trying many of the things you identified, it completed. However, the next day when I tried to sync, I got the same hang up/crash as before.

During my call, we deleted the cloud file, ran validate, ran super validate, deleted app from mobile device, and a number of other things.

I will call again to re-open my case. if you get an answer please share and I will do the same.

Frustrating not getting the job to complete fully versus just partially and crashing.
  • I'm having the exact same issue. Cannot complete a sync without crashing.
  • Fitzman
    Fitzman Member ✭✭
    Thanks for confirming. This helps to confirm it is not just me or my system. I need to find a time to call support again on this issue since the last tasks did not fix the situation.
  • travplum
    travplum Member
    I'm also having the same issue. I have Quicken Home, Business & Rental windows subscription, version R25.18. I try individual account syncs, one step update, and even a cloud sync only. It freezes on the transactions with the down arrow, and I have to close Quicken. Has anyone found a solution yet?
  • Fitzman
    Fitzman Member ✭✭
    I am still seeking an answer myself, with more people reporting this I hope an answer comes soon. It is getting old synching and crashing.
  • mombenz
    mombenz Member
    I also have the same issue only after it gets stuck Quicken quits. And now I can't create a back up file either.
  • Fitzman
    Fitzman Member ✭✭
    What a pain! I still have the same issue. The synch dies not finish and crashes. I can do a backup successfully and the transactions in the mobile app seem to complete but not the entire synchronized process.

I am hoping for an update or quicken support intervention since several people are having the same issue.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited April 2020
    Hello @Fitzman,

Thank you for continuing to update us on the issue you are dealing with and I apologize that you have not received a follow-up response yet.

Since your last response was a few days ago-- Are you still experiencing this issue now or has it been resolved? How long ago did this issue start happening?

Also, I'm not sure if you ended up reaching back out to Quicken Support, but if you did-- do you know whether or not the rep escalated your issue to our Tier 2 team in order to have it reported and possibly investigated?

Thank you,

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• rgoodwin
    rgoodwin Member
    I am having the exact same problem. I just upgraded to a Quicken Windows Subscription (version R25.21) solely because Quicken 2017 was going to lose its capability to sync with the mobile app at the end of April. But at least it was working in Quicken 2017. This is an obvious bug in the new version that needs to be corrected. Very frustrating!
  • AlphaTrionA3
    AlphaTrionA3 Member ✭✭
    I get this issue quite often since being forced to upgrade from 2017 to this subscription based "service". When I close the program, I get the prompt to sync with the cloud because my data has changed. It works maybe 40% of the time. Every other time it is just like everyone else here, it stalls and I have to force close Quicken. It's to the point where I don't even use the mobile app anymore, because i have no clue if the info is sync'd properly.
  • Fitzman
    Fitzman Member ✭✭
    Hello Anja. The issue has been going on since January when I upgraded from Quicken Premier 2017 to Quicken Premier. Yes, I am still experiencing the issue. No I have not have a chance to reach back to support again regarding the issue. I did respond to one of the email I received after working with support on the phone that the problem was not resolved. I have not had the chance to call in to re-address the issue again.
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello again @Fitzman,

When you tried resetting the cloud, did you sign out of the mobile app first? If not, the reset would not be successful. You'll want to sign out of the mobile app, reset, then sync and sign back in. 

If that still fails you can also sign out of your data file and sign back in to see if that works instead.

Sign out from your Mobile App > Edit > Preferences > Quicken ID, Mobile & Alerts > Sign in as a different user > Type "Yes" > Sign Out > Sign back in with your Quicken ID and password and follow the prompts to get back to your data file > Attempt to sync again > Sign back into the Mobile App

Just make sure to follow these steps in that exact order as missing 1 simple step can cause the issue to persist. Let me know if this works or not or if you've already tried both of these options. 

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• rpvme
    rpvme Member ✭✭
    Hi Anja. I followed the above steps and I'm having the same problem. Cloud sync hangs and must be closed with the task manager
  • Quicken Anja
    Hello @rpvme,

Thank you for trying the steps I provided first. Could you please provide the version release of Quicken it is that you are using?
    Help > Quicken

Also, when did this issue first start happening?

Thank you,

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• rpvme
    rpvme Member ✭✭
    Hello Anja. I am using version R26.15 This started happening as soon as I upgraded to an online subscription this weekend. I upgraded from Quicken 2017. Prior to upgrading I had no issues.
  • AlphaTrionA3
    AlphaTrionA3 Member ✭✭
    @Anja, never had this issue until I was forced to upgrade from 2017 to this subscription nonsense. I'm using the most current version. It doesn't happen all the time, maybe 15-20% it fails the sync when I try to close the program.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited April 2020
    Thank you both for the information!

If you haven't already, you can try validating your data file--
    1. Save a backup (just in case)
    2. File
    3. File Operations
    4. Validate and Repair
    5. Validate File
    6. Ok
    7. Close Quicken and wait at least 5 seconds
    8. Reopen Quicken
    You can also try super validating which are the same steps as above except that you will hold "Ctrl" + "Shift" on your keyboard while you click on "Validate and Repair" and then you will get the option for "Super Validate".

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• rpvme
    rpvme Member ✭✭
    Hi Anja. I tried "validate" and "super validate", but no luck. Program still freezes and shuts down when syncing.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited April 2020
    @rpvme Thanks for the update and trying those steps!

copying your file as a new file-- 
    1. File
    2. Save a copy as...
    3. Name the copied file
    4. Save
    5. Click "Yes" to open the copied file
    6. Click "Yes" to close the current file
    Once you're taken to your data try syncing and see whether or not it still crashes.

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• rpvme
    rpvme Member ✭✭
    Sad to report, no go. Makes me regret paying for a subscription.
  • Quicken Anja
    edited April 2020
    Thank you for letting me know and I'm sorry for the frustration this is causing you.

Another thing I can suggest is to create a test file that's empty and try syncing that to see if that works or fails. Doing so will give me a better idea of- or at least get me closer to discovering -what could be causing this and what the next best course of action to take would be.

To create a test file, first, save a backup (just in case) then follow the steps below--
    1. File
    2.  New Quicken File
    3. Leave "New Quicken File" Selected and click "Ok"
    4. Name the file (you can use "Test" or just anything you will be able to recognize it by later and know which file you'll need to dispose of)
    5. Save
    6. You may or may not be prompted to sign in (if you are, then go ahead and sign in using your Quicken ID's email address and password)
    7. On the next page titled "Sync to Mobile and Web" leave use mobile and web selected and click "Next"
    8. Click "Add account" (you will be adding a dummy account just to test the sync)
    9. Choose "Checking"
    10. Click "Advanced Setup" (this is not a button), it is written in blue on the bottom left above the "Cancel" button.
    11. Select "I want to enter my transactions manually"
    12. Next
    13. "Next" again (No need to change the name of the account)
    14. "Next" again (No need to change the date or add an amount)
    15. On the next screen, you should see the following illustration below and make sure the checkbox for "Sync to Quicken Cloud for mobile and web access" is checked.
    16. Finish

Once you click "Finish", the file should automatically start syncing.

Check back and let me know if that sync was successful or if the program crashed with this test file as well and we'll go from there.

Thank you,

-Quicken Anja

-Quicken Anja

• pac626
    pac626 Member
    I’ll share me experience with is issue as I upgraded from 2017 Home & Business to 2020 Premier.

I have the same issues and spent days trying different solutions. I’ve called support and they put me through every single suggestion I’ve read here. None of it ultimately corrects the issue.

Yes, the PC locks up and the data is uploaded all but my investments which I found odd unless I choose to include only my investment accounts first.

Try this it works....log out of the app. Then clear all of your cloud data but first uncheck every single account to upload first as this is important. After it resets choose one or 2 accounts at a time to start and upload them.

I noticed that even though your PC locks up, it is actually still working. If you click your mouse while uploading it causes the program to truly crash. It just takes over an hour or so depending on how many accounts ya you have.

Good luck and let me know if any of you have success with this. I feel Quicken owes me a free year just from the countless hours I’ve put in to troubleshooting this. 😜
  • vsorgi
    vsorgi Member ✭✭
    > @pac626 said:
    > I’ll share me experience with is issue as I upgraded from 2017 Home & Business to 2020 Premier.
    >
    > I have the same issues and spent days trying different solutions. I’ve called support and they put me through every single suggestion I’ve read here. None of it ultimately corrects the issue.
    >
    > Yes, the PC locks up and the data is uploaded all but my investments which I found odd unless I choose to include only my investment accounts first.
    >
    > Try this it works....log out of the app. Then clear all of your cloud data but first uncheck every single account to upload first as this is important. After it resets choose one or 2 accounts at a time to start and upload them.
    >
    > I noticed that even though your PC locks up, it is actually still working. If you click your mouse while uploading it causes the program to truly crash. It just takes over an hour or so depending on how many accounts ya you have.
    >
    > Good luck and let me know if any of you have success with this. I feel Quicken owes me a free year just from the countless hours I’ve put in to troubleshooting this. 😜
    >

Thanks for this info. I'm having sync problems also going from 2017 Deluxe to Online Deluxe. My problem is that not all my transactions uploaded to the cloud. Two specific types...any transaction I did on the mobile app and any desktop transaction that involved category splits. None of these sync to the mobile app. Funny, though, the account balance on my mobile app is correct. It DOES upload any new transactions i do on the desktop.

Also it is not downloading any new transactions I do on the mobile app. I notice that during the sync it stops after the upload sequence and gives me an error message showing that those transactions i mentioned earlier failed to sync...it doesn't even try to do the download from the cloud. Is yours now downloading from the mobile app?

Seems like my problem may be different but i will try your advice and report back.
This discussion has been closed.