How do I carry over budget amounts month to month?

OK, back with Quicken after 7-8 year hiatus... I've seen others ask this question a few years ago (in Community) but the only answer I see doesn't seem to fit with the newer version of Quicken I'm using. And, I cannot understand WHY in the world would a monthly budget set up in Jan NOT automatically carry over into Feb, Mar, etc..!
So anyway, how do I make the budget carry over the amounts to following months? (Previous answer in 2015 or so referred to an arrow by the month name but I don't see that in current version of Quicken.)
Thanks!
Tagged:

Comments

• gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    I guess I can't edit my post... I want to clarify that the Community answer I saw from 2015 referred some drop down arrow next to the month being viewed that allowed one to carry forward the values. I don't see that arrow, at least not in the Budget view I'm using.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You must be in the Annual View to get the monthly spreadsheet-like columns in order to get the dropdown arrow next to the month name in the column header.
    This will allow you to copy a monthly budget forward to the rest of the year.
    If you want to adjust an individual category click on the category name itself, then click the gear icon that appears next to the name. You can also activate "Rollover" if you want the difference between actual and budgeted amounts to roll forward every month.

• TheLogicEscapesMe
    TheLogicEscapesMe Member ✭✭✭
    > @UKR said:
    > You must be in the Annual View to get the monthly spreadsheet-like columns in order to get the dropdown arrow next to the month name in the column header.

They show up in the Graph View too, but work a bit differently.
    If you hover your mouse or click on the budget category in question, then in between the Budget Status amount and the Allocated Budget amount the control for the rollover and and settings menu will appear.
  • gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks UKR! Awesome. Unfortunately, and I don't know why, my March budget in that Annual columnar view showed 0.00 for everything and for some (stupid) reason, I copied that back to Jan and Feb, which now show 0.00 and I can't seem to find a way to undo it. I really need to start over for the year anyway, so I'll do Jan then copy it forward and make adjustments to specific months.
  • gt00tx
    gt00tx Member ✭✭✭
    Doh! Somehow it got set on an older budget for 2019 that I never populated. :blush:
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for responding. I'm glad to hear that you got a handle on things.
    Do make sure to have or create a backup of your Quicken data file every time you close Quicken and, especially, before you make complicated changes like setting up a new budget. If something goes kaput, you want to have a fallback position to restore from.
This discussion has been closed.