Confusion about BillPay on 5/31

I have Quicken for Windows Deluxe 2017. I pay my bills through it using BillPay.
I'm confused as to what is changing on 5/31 regarding BillPay and my bank, which is Bank of America. Do I need to do anything to continue using it past 5/31?

Best Answers

Answers

• Marauder
    Marauder Member ✭✭✭✭
    It does not matter what version you have. Bill Pay ends 5/31. Transaction downloads end on 5/31. If you want to use the inferior but new Bill Manager, you have to be on the current version of Quicken. Quicken is now a pay service. If you want the Bell and Whistle of automatic downloads you have to upgrade.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    If you're using Quicken 2017 all the Online Services including the ability to pay online bills from within Quicken will be discontinued on April 30, 2020.  If you want to continue to use any Online Services, you will need to purchase, activate, and install the subscription release of Quicken (aka Quicken 2020):  https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-discontinuation-policy

If you're using Quicken Bill Pay from the web site or within Quicken, the third-party provider, Metavante Payment Services, is terminating their payment service on May 31, 2020.  If you want to continue to schedule bill payments from within Quicken, I suggest you consider using any of the more than 500 financial institutions that support online payment using the Direct Connect connection method.
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    Where is there any info about this? Will I be able to still BillPay in it similar to the way my Quicken Deluxe does now before it expires on 5/31?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    If you upgrade to the Quicken subscription (aka Quicken 2020) before 4/30 and are using any of the more than 500 financial institutions for your online payments other than Quicken Bill Pay, you should be able to continue to pay bills in Quicken the same way after 5/31.  
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    I have Quicken 2017 Deluxe and I do NOT use the Metavante BillPay that is apparently going away on 5/31. Instead, I use DirectConnect within Quicken 2017 Deluxe to communicate all transactions with my bank. Since Quicken Deluxe 2017 has the features I like/need, such as scheduled/repeating payments, why would I be affected? In checking with my bank, they tell me they will continue to support DirectConnect, not only for Quicken, but also the other software companies that use it.
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    So, if I upgrade to Quicken 2020, all my data will be there and all my scheduled/repeating transactions will be there??? That doesn't seem to be what the Quicken people are saying.
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    Have you personally upgraded to confirm that it works?
  • Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Yes. I am using Quicken 2020 today with Direct Connect bill pay just as you. I use Chase bank.
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    BUT, isn't Quicken 2020 ALSO a "fee-based subscription service", so what do you think they are trying to gain with their new (but admittedly half-baked and limited in transactions per month) Bill Manager?
  • Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Yes Q 2020 is a subscription product with free upgrades for the life of your subscription. Bill Manager is an additional monthly fee based product. It is an optional bill pay mechanism for those who's bank or credit union, doesn't  support the Direct connect method we use.
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    OK Dennis. BUT, paying for a subscription on an ongoing basis is NOT "free upgrades". That's really what the subscription fees are in the first place. That will amount to to $120 per year (and more as they raise that price later).
    (Removed-Speculation/Argumentative)
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    edited March 2020
    (Removed-Duplicate/Spam) What is the best deal you're aware of to purchase the 2020 subscription? Do you have a link or website? I appreciate all of your insights.
  • gresco
    gresco Member ✭✭
    One more time please...
    If I merely upgrade from Quicken 2017 Deluxe to Quicken 2020 Deluxe, AND if I continue to ONLY use DirectConnect (NOT Quicken BillPay), then after I pay for and upgrade to this Quicken 2020 Deluxe "subscription", EVERYTHING (payees, scheduled/repeating payments, etc.) that I currently have in Quicken 2017 Deluxe will AUTOMATICALLY (with NO re-keying OR re-entry required of me) be there and ready to go in Quicken 2020 Deluxe. And, I will continue to have UNLIMITED and FREE banking transactions to/from my current bank (Bank of America) using DirectConnect.
    Is this ALL correct???
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    gresco said:
    One more time please...
    If I merely upgrade from Quicken 2017 Deluxe to Quicken 2020 Deluxe, AND if I continue to ONLY use DirectConnect (NOT Quicken BillPay), then after I pay for and upgrade to this Quicken 2020 Deluxe "subscription", EVERYTHING (payees, scheduled/repeating payments, etc.) that I currently have in Quicken 2017 Deluxe will AUTOMATICALLY (with NO re-keying OR re-entry required of me) be there and ready to go in Quicken 2020 Deluxe. And, I will continue to have UNLIMITED and FREE banking transactions to/from my current bank (Bank of America) using DirectConnect.
    Is this ALL correct???
    Yes.
  • Dennis@1
    Dennis@1 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Gresco check Amazon. Quicken deluxe with 14 mo. subscription $29.99
This discussion has been closed.