How do I know the source of a category?

How do I know why a transaction was categorized?
I know of 4 methods that categories get added:

1. Manually
2. QuickFill
3. Auto-Categorization in Desktop
4. Auto-Categorization in Cloud

For a given transaction, how do I know what method was used to generate the assigned category?
Tagged:

Best Answers

Answers

• dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    I have seen the totally undesired behavior of all the auto-characterization features changing my categories - this is bad software behavior. I cannot see how even one user of this software would want this software behavior. Now I have to go back and try to figure out what was changed “by an automatic feature” so I can fix all the damage that the auto characterization did. Unfortunately I do not see how to distinguish good (manual) categorization vs. bad (automatic) characterization.

Until Quicken provides a user friendly solution ( like providing the user a list of proposed transaction changes for user review and change/accept), I end up spending hours trying to fix the damage already. done.
  • dental_floss
    dental_floss Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, I have that feature turned OFF. It has been off.

I have now voted.

I really wish I had a Windows computer. Qwin is a much better, user-friendly and stable product. Qmac seems like alpha or beta release - I have not been able to get through a week without running into problems. The cloud behavior is partly to blame.
  • Snowman
    Snowman Member ✭✭✭✭
    You could use QWin on a Mac computer using a windows emulator.  When I tried Mac's 2008-2011 I did this with Parallels but because of the lousy Mac laptop designs (they overheated, soldering RAM onto the motherboard etc.) and lack of service (they always wanted me to buy a new computer EVEN when I was calling about a support issue that Apple recognized as a problem) I went back to windows PC's.
This discussion has been closed.