Net Worth Report Includes Category for Unrealized Gains AND the Current Value for One Stock

Options
I have set my filters to include unrealized gains in my Net Worth report. As a result the values reported are market values. However, Quicken is including the Unrealized Gain as an individual line in my Net Worth report for only one of our stocks and not any other stocks or mutual funds. This results in a double counting for the change in value of that stock. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Are you sure that that stock does not have a cost basis of zero?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • carlyn.irwin
    carlyn.irwin Member ✭✭
    Options
    Great through! It had a cost basis of zero. I just fixed that and the unrealized gains for that security are still showing on the report. Any other ideas?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Something is amiss (perhaps that is why you are asking?).  The Net Worth report presents Accounts.  Unrealized Gains is a Category, a special hidden one at that.  A category should never appear in a Net Worth report.  

Have you somehow created an "Unrealized Gain" Account?  I doubt it. 

When you drill down on an account (click on the amount to get the details), Quicken provides a customized Investment Transaction report that will include unrealized gains.  Is that what you are referring to?

Please clarify.

• carlyn.irwin
    carlyn.irwin Member ✭✭
    Options
    Amiss is correct. I confirmed that I do not have an "Unrealized Gain" Account. However, in the Investment section of my Net Worth Report, there is an "account" titled "Tax Impact of 401(k) Accounts)." Interestingly, this security is not held in a 401(k) or IRA account. Looking back over the last 12 months, the anomaly begins after a stock split was erroneously recorded to this "account." While I can drill down into the Security Detail View to look at this strange transaction, I can't figure out a way to delete the entry which should delete the transaction that is triggering this problem.

Thank you in advance for your help!
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    So I take it this part of this statement:
    However, Quicken is including the Unrealized Gain as an individual line in my Net Worth report ...
    was inaccurate.  It should have read:
    However, Quicken is including "Tax Impact of 401(k) Accounts)" as an individual line in my Net Worth report ... 
    When you then drill down on that account, your get shown transactions for a security that is not part of a 401k account.  You'd like to eliminate the Tax Impact line from your Net Worth reports.

Although a long time ago I had 401k accounts that Quicken tracked, at that time it did nothing in the form of that Tax impact account.  I never have tried to understand what is being done with that info.  Perhaps by considering the dates of the purported transactions, you could deduce the transactions that created them.   

Search the in-product Help for Tax impact for more info.